Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone drive shifting (up) without using the clutch on a regular basis?
What are the consequences if any?

·
Registered
35,700 Posts
I was told there's a fork in the tranny that will bend or wear causing problems. I have shifted up & down when my clutch cable broke on my last bike. I'm sure more knowledgable members will reply.

Rick

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Do it all the time. No power/bang shifts though.. just let off a bit and click it up a gear.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I do it when i'm riding lazy .If you have a good feel for how to do it, i don't think it hurts anything.I certainly don't do it while riding hard.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I always clutch going up (not a full clutch, just fan it).....never use the clutch going down unless it's first gear! JMO Makes for a bad habit and you forget going up under power and oops! I have done it with no issues.

.......................twin

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
From a technical standpoint, pulling in the clutch lever IS shifting without the clutch, as you are disengageing the clutch when you do so.

So shifting without pulling the lever is actually shift with the clutch.

And yes, I shift without pulling the lever most of the time.

·
Registered
787 Posts
:agree: What is the point of not using the clutch? I really am curious.....:popcorn:

·
Registered
787 Posts
From a technical standpoint, pulling in the clutch lever IS shifting without the clutch, as you are disengageing the clutch when you do so.

So shifting without pulling the lever is actually shift with the clutch.

And yes, I shift without pulling the lever most of the time.

Good point! So this does nothing adverse to the transmission?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Good point! So this does nothing adverse to the transmission?
This is correct, been doing it for years, never lost a M/C tranny yet, just be sure to shift @ speed, not while lugging the motor, as it probably wouldn't shift anyway.

·
Registered
787 Posts
This is correct, been doing it for years, never lost a M/C tranny yet, just be sure to shift @ speed, not while lugging the motor, as it probably wouldn't shift anyway.
Did not know this! Ya learn something new every day and now I can get to my flask easier thanks to you and Hick! :thumbup:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Then why do they even bother with a clutch lever?????

·
Registered
40 Posts
I only use the clutch from 1st to second after that i shift up and down without using the clutch. once you get a feel for it it makes shifts smoother and faster. just blip the throttle a little and shift.

I used to drive trucks years ago and we only used the clutch to get moving after that we floated the gears both up and down. clutches lasted a long time.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts