Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
when i installed my last battery (Yuasa) i bought longer stainless bolts and 2 stainless lock washers, this helped the aftermarket accessories power and ground rings too. But with that lockwasher it seems to work been about 2 years never a problem. Just have to make sure the bolts aren't too long, otherwise they will "bottom out" on the battery case when tightening (making you think its tight).

EDIT ADD: i used the lockwasher on top, the bolt head side.
:agree:

I did exactly the same.

VTXArizona, glad you posted this info for others to see. :thumbup: Good info.

Reactions: VTXArizona

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
To make room on the battery post...I installed a aux..fuse box and relays to power accessories....only extra on post is battery tender...:thumbup:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I had that rental trailer so had to drop off bike at Honda Dealership, but if I had it now, I would/should have checked the starter switch to see if it had a short.

·
Super Moderator
63,684 Posts
I had that rental trailer so had to drop off bike at Honda Dealership, but if I had it now, I would/should have checked the starter switch to see if it had a short.
So, go to the dealer, ask to see your bike for a second and try it then. If it works, tell the guy you want it back and take it home and fix it yourself.

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
From 1st post::
Drove it during the day. Then jumped on it, hit starter button, starter turned over once or twice.
Then nothing. No power to the digital odometer and no lights.

An "Open" whether an open connection, an open cell in a battery, an open fuse or an open wire = open circuit.

A "Short" on the other hand blows fuses.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
To make room on the battery post...I installed a aux..fuse box and relays to power accessories....only extra on post is battery tender...:thumbup:
I installed an extra fusebox on my last bike, worked nice, no extra terminals on the battery etc. :thumbup:

i just didnt have quite the enthusiasm doing so with my X as i did with my first adult bike. I was constantly adding stuff to my Shadow Aero, i had the "beginners love first bike" syndrome.

just wanted to ride =====>

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The starter button when I first got it was a little bit off when starting it. I took it apart and cleaned and lubed it, but still, If you pushed the button all the way, nothing, so you release a little and you always found the sweet spot and it would start everytime. That's why I think it maybe something in the switch.

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
Then nothing. No power to the digital odometer and no lights.

Starter switch controls starter relay and the headlight.
Starter switch clean & lube could fix your starting issues.

Power to the digital odometer is from the speedo fuse..

No lights ?? On the VTX speedo or No lights on the VTX??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The report from the Honda service says I need a new battery. So much for there telling me my battery was good when I first brought it on. And the kicker is that I found a battery load tester in my garage I forgot I bought 2 months ago, still in the box. Then they read me off the list of things I need fixed. New rear tire because wear bars note showing. Hell, I always go past that, tie only had 7,500 miles on it. Bolts missing that hold the seat down. Hell again, I told him I drilled the holes out and put pins in and told him where they were as I left them out so he could get to the battery. Small coolant leak and I told him to fix that, but he couldn't tell me what was causing it. Hell again. They had it a week and a half just to tell me the obvious. Ask how long till fixed and the answer was the parts the parts are on order. Battery they had in stock and they don't know what was causing the coolant leak, so what parts were they ordering?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts

·
Super Moderator
63,684 Posts
I'm sure Cali has some laws against a dealer releasing an unsafe vehicle IE the tires. If they are past the wear bars, it doesn't matter if you normally ride past that. The bike is in their shop and the tires are worn past the unsafe limits so they must replace the tires before handing it over to you

·
Registered
11,558 Posts
I'm sure Cali has some laws against a dealer releasing an unsafe vehicle IE the tires. If they are past the wear bars, it doesn't matter if you normally ride past that. The bike is in their shop and the tires are worn past the unsafe limits so they must replace the tires before handing it over to you

I do not believe they can hold your vehicle.
The owner could say I am not paying for the tires, I brought it in for an electrical problem.
They could write it up as being unsafe and customer would sign it.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts