Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Guys,

Im currently running 95 grade fuel in the old girl (1300) as performance is average at best with cruisers. The yankee site seems to indicate low octane. What grade fuel is everyone else running?

Lofty

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Howdy Guys,

Im currently running 95 grade fuel in the old girl (1300) as performance is average at best with cruisers. The yankee site seems to indicate low octane. What grade fuel is everyone else running?

Lofty
engineers designed the bike for regular grade gas.

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Howdy Guys,

Lofty
Lofty -

Gasoline in Australia is rated by the Research Octane Number (RON). In the U.S. it's RON + MON (motor octane number) divided by 2.
The conversion for your Australian 95 octane fuel to the U.S. equivalent would be 91 octane.
You would want to try your 91 octane fuel which would be roughly equivalent to the U.S. 87 octane, which is what the VTX owner's manual specifies, and the grade of fuel that the majority of us use in our VTX motorcycles.

If your motor "pings", then try the next higher octane fuel - but I believe that you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was running aussie 98 for a long time until I learned that you actually get more energy released from 91. The higher octane number indicates that more addative (retardant) is added to slow down the rate of burn. Any power increase you might feel you are getting using a higher octane number is probably placebo. Mine has been running happily on 91 now for ages.
The fuel companies would like us all to use 98 all the time as it is often 10-15 c/L more, but really you are grtting nothing out of it for all that extra $.
I have been tracking fuel economy since I got my VTX and didn't even see an economy drop when I changed from 98 to 91. For me always around 5.5-5.7 L/100km.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I might be being paranoid, but I just make DEAD sure that I don't put ethanol into the tank. On a recent trip to Sydney from Adelaide there were some petrol stations that only carried E10 91 octane. In those cases I used 95 to avoid the ethanol. Probably though there are some who would say that this wad a bit obsessive...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Have used 91 octane fuel from day one in my 07, and at 26k its getting 50mpg or 6 lts per 100ks, mate has an 02 1800 and changed last couple of months to 91 and lifted his mpg as well? Your choice, but I know what I will keep running? Also I dont touch ethanol fuel

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Have used 91 octane fuel from day one in my 07, and at 26k its getting 50mpg or 6 lts per 100ks, mate has an 02 1800 and changed last couple of months to 91 and lifted his mpg as well? Your choice, but I know what I will keep running? Also I dont touch ethanol fuel
Ethonal will wok just fine as long as you use it. The problem starts when you store it with ethanol. If it's gonna sit for over three weeks at a time don't use it.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I run 91 in all my bikes. I used to run higher but it's just a waste of money. as long as the petrol isn't being left for long period of time, ethanol is also safe to use.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts