Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 05 VTX 1300R. It was a super nice bike which almost looked brand new, but it had one problem. It hadn't had ANY gas in the tank for about 16 months and what had been left when it was parked gummed up the carb, gummed up the petcock, and evaporated leaving the tank a rusty mess. I got the bike for a steal ($3,600 with new tires, Vance and Hines Big Shots, and 7,550 miles.) and took it to the dealer to get the carb cleaned (ONLY because I work 12 hour shifts with the police department and seldomly have the time to do things like that on my own). Got it back and they informed that the tank was rusted bad and wanted to sell me a new/used one with several scratches and a marble sized dent for $800. I got them to crank the bike up off of a bottle and it ran like it was brand new. I got it home and removed the gas tank. Upon examaning the tank, I found corn flake sized rust chips in the tank and surface rust covering the whole interior. The screen that filters the fuel that goes into the petcock was also dry-rotted and crumbled into the tank. I began to think to myself that I had gotten myself in too deep, but decided that I could fix it.

Now to the good part. I purchased a product from the local Oreilly's called Evapo-Rust. I had read several different places online that the product was legit and would do what it was intended to do. I got it home and plugged the petcock hole, vent hole, and filled the tank with close to a gallon of the product. I shook up the tank vigorously off and on for about 30 minutes and then sat it down. I stood the tank straight up and would rotate it 90 degrees every 30 minutes to ensure that every surface was being touched. I finally layed the tank flat, as if it were mounted on the bike, overnight to let the product sit on the bottom. I left the Evapo-Rust in the tank for a period of about 14 hours and dumped it out this morning. I was disguisted by the amount of rust and gunk that had come out of the tank as a result of the Evapo-Rust. I looked in the tank and it was restored to a silver shine. I removed the plugs in the petcock hole and vent tube and turned my Shop Vac on to blow out. I put the hose in the fill hole (without and attachment is a perfect fit, it wedges right in) and faced the petcock hole away from me and shook the tank until all of the liquid was out.

I then plugged the holes back and took some Simple Green cleaner and water and filled the tank with it. I shook the tank off and on for about 10 minutes and removed the petcock plug. I then took the water hose and continuously ran the water through the tank until the water came out clear and sud free. After the water came out clear, I did the Shop Vac procedure as much as I could to get as much water out of the tank as possible. After I assumed that all of the water was gone, I poured a pint of acetone in the tank and shook it up really good. I flushed it out with the Shop Vac and added one more pint to repeat the procedure one more time. I left the tank out in the sun to ensure that everything was dry.

Now to the Red-Kote. I got on Oreilly's website and found that they are one of the only retail stores that carries the Red-Kote, but my two local stores had none instock. I located a quart about an hour away and made the drive to get it. Once I got home I plugged all of the holes again and taped up the tank around the fill hole just for added protection against the Red-Kote. I used a funnel and poured the entire quart into the tank. I then taped the hole shut (DON'T USE FUEL CAP BECAUSE IT WILL DRY AND MAKE THE FUEL CAP INOPERABLE) and followed the application instructions on the can. Basically all you do is rock the tank back and forth and up and down slowly to ensure that the entire surface of the inside of the tank is covered. After about 30 minutes of rocking, the product started moving slower and slower and started to congeal, so untaped the fill hole (fumes were building up and forcing the tape off as well) and unplugged the holes on the bottom. I then had my dad hold the original Red-Kote can under the petcock hole to collect all of the excess product. We had to rock the tank back and forth several times and often leave it sitting for all of the excess product to make its way out of the hole. After about an hour of rocking, stopping, and draining, no more Red-Kote ran out of the hole. I then sat the tank on some cardboard in the sunlight to start the curing process. The recommended curing time is 8-24 hours. After 8 hours, I brought the tank inside to inspect it. The inside of the tank looks AMAZING. It has a nice, thin red coating on the whole surface of the inside of the tank. The product has also dried hard to the touch and is not tacky at all. I am going to wait a couple of days before I add fuel to the tank, but I am EXTREMELY satisfied with the results. I recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a fix for that rusty tank.

I have spent a approximately $35 to redo my whole tank. The Red-Kote was $24.99 and the Evapo-Rust was just over $9. I hope this helps any of ya'll out there looking to fix your rusty tank. Have a good one. :doorag:

SORRY I HAVE NO PICS. MY PHONE WAS DEAD AND I WAS WITHOUT A CHARGER TODAY WHILE I WAS DOING THIS.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nice try Mr Red-Kote, O'Reilly dealer!

Ha, j/k. I'm glad it worked out for you. You saved a lot of money over buying the used tank the dealer tried to sell and then having it painted.

Also, congrats on the new ride, and welcome to the board from Wisconsin!

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
Great job!

The problem now is the tank only holds two gallons of fuel. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Great Job

I have used a similar process on old bikes you will be happy with Red Kote. There will be detractors but for many people it works great. You did a good job of prep that is the key

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. Good job on fixing the bike your self. And welcome from Wisconsin, to the best place on the internet!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yeah the dealer is a POS for trying to sell you a junked tank for what it costs a brand new tank. Good job.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great job!

The problem now is the tank only holds two gallons of fuel. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: That's some funny sh*t....

Nice job on the tank. Would like to see pics of that scoot when you get her put back together.

Stay Safe!

·
Registered
689 Posts
I frequent antique tractor boards and Red Kote is always highly recommended by the tractor guys

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. Whenever my new filter screen for the tank gets in Tuesday, I'll put the bike back together and get some pics up.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This has nothing to do with the thread, but what kind of paint is on your bike? I want to redo mine in flat black and black everything out.

:mrgreen: That's some funny sh*t....

Nice job on the tank. Would like to see pics of that scoot when you get her put back together.

Stay Safe!

·
Registered
109 Posts
This has nothing to do with the thread, but what kind of paint is on your bike? I want to redo mine in flat black and black everything out.
OK....I just painted mine this last weekend. The paint is pretty unique and not easy to come by. Are you ready for this? OK, it's Rust-oleum bedliner spray paint. I got 3 cans of it at Walmart for $8 a can. It was super easy to do and I'll start a thread on here tomorrow with some of the details.

And to answer the inevitable question about whether or not it'll last? I only painted mine this way because a buddy did his Road King 5 years ago and it looks as good now as the day he did it.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
OK....I just painted mine this last weekend. The paint is pretty unique and not easy to come by. Are you ready for this? OK, it's Rust-oleum bedliner spray paint. I got 3 cans of it at Walmart for $8 a can. It was super easy to do and I'll start a thread on here tomorrow with some of the details.

And to answer the inevitable question about whether or not it'll last? I only painted mine this way because a buddy did his Road King 5 years ago and it looks as good now as the day he did it.
AS,GOOD? or as, Bad?..... it's totally subjective.

·
Registered
109 Posts
AS,GOOD? or as, Bad?..... it's totally subjective.
That's true, it is "totally subjective". But it wouldn't make much sense for me to say "as bad" as I like how the bike looks with the flat black, now would it?

To each their own.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did a heck of a lot of riding the past two days. I'm on my third tank of gas since the restoration and it looks good as new still. I haven't had any problems.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts