Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st, can anyone post a link to an online owners manual for the VTX1800?

2nd, there is a little turn knob on the left side of the bike, directly in between the two cylinders...now from owning my other bikes I'd say it was an idle adjuster...is this true? I wasn't sure because I thought a fuel injected engine wouldn't need an idle adjuster, I thought it was all done by computer.

3rd, my friend said that on his Road Star, adjusting the Idle helped reduce his popping, you think this may work on the VTX

And I found that if I go easy off the throttle it reduced the popping a lot more than heavy deceleration. But god damn do I love riding my VTX, its so different than my SV, but in so many good ways!

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I haven't found an on-line service manual, but you can order
a hard copy of one thru our sponsor HDL.

I am looking forward to the day that Clymer or Haynes comes
out with a manual for our bikes, and in the meantime am
giving serious consideration to purchasing one for the
VT1100 Shadow. I think there is quite a bit in common,
and lots of info I might learn that could benefit a friend or two.

If all you need is an electrical schematic diagram, those are available
on rattlebars.com and on bare's website.

Yes, you found the idle speed adjustment.
You can speed the idle up or turn it down.
Maybe in cold weather you might want to adjust it.
Since the bikes don't come with a tachometer,
you would be doing it by ear.

I have the stock C model exhaust system, and although it
probably pops during deceleration, I don't find it noticeable.
I do think the stock exhaust is too loud though,
louder than any stock Honda that I have ridden in the
last 32 years.

·
Registered
201 Posts
manual

have you looked in the tool box for the manual. if you have not, take off the left side cover. in the back you will see a little slot for the latch, use your key to turn it and lift the cover. tools and owners manual should be inside.

bob

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I have a tach. The 1800F's come with one. It's pretty cool. Like a bar graph on the instrument display. It is not as acurate as an "anolog" style though. Each "bar" or diode (whatever) on the bar graph shows about 200 rpm. So you don't know exactly what your RPM is.

I hope we can get a CD-rom service manual someday. I probably won't wait though. I'll get the hard copy. Heck, if Honda makes a CD, it might be the same price as the hard copy anyway.

Does anyone know if each model (C,R,N,F) has it's own unique manual?

·
Registered
16 Posts
venarius said:

2nd, there is a little turn knob on the left side of the bike, directly in between the two cylinders...now from owning my other bikes I'd say it was an idle adjuster...is this true? I wasn't sure because I thought a fuel injected engine wouldn't need an idle adjuster, I thought it was all done by computer.

3rd, my friend said that on his Road Star, adjusting the Idle helped reduce his popping, you think this may work on the VTX

And I found that if I go easy off the throttle it reduced the popping a lot more than heavy deceleration. But god damn do I love riding my VTX, its so different than my SV, but in so many good ways!
I had a lot of decel popping on my 03 VTX1800C when I got it (used with 1100 miles). It's got a stock airbox, PCIII, and Vance Hines Bigshots. I put in a K&N air filter and it cut the popping down a lot. When I tell this to the VTX riders I hang around with, they generally say an air filter won't do this, but it did. You might try a K&N, if you haven't already. They don't cost that much, and it's a good filter anyway.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
BearClaw said:
venarius said:

I had a lot of decel popping on my 03 VTX1800C when I got it (used with 1100 miles). It's got a stock airbox, PCIII, and Vance Hines Bigshots. I put in a K&N air filter and it cut the popping down a lot. When I tell this to the VTX riders I hang around with, they generally say an air filter won't do this, but it did. You might try a K&N, if you haven't already. They don't cost that much, and it's a good filter anyway.
Finally!

When I installed a KNN filter my bike got a bit richer as well. I'm a do 1 thing at a time person and see what works, and when I changed from the stock filter and a bit of popping to a KNN the popping was cut in half, meaning the settings got a bit richer.

OK you tech gurue's out there here's a project for you. Which filter OEM vs KNN flows more cfm? I really believe, after my experience, the OEM filter flows more air. Prove me wrong. :wink:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The most effective remedy for decel popping is to desmog:

http://www.bareasschoppers.com/

In the left frame there is an article named, "PAIR removal (Desmog)." It gives excellent step-by-step instructions on doing the desmog.

Also, if your exhaust headers are leaking, it can cause popping.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts