Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to go 300 miles with only a backpack. This is the first long trip. Do you guess think I am make it? Never done it. I got a windshield. This is exciting but a little scared.
BobTheComic nojoke

·
Lady Rider
4,246 Posts
I guess you can do it, but I don't know that you're back will feel great once you get there. I believe I'd buy a barrel bag and fasten it to the back seat. i guess the back pack could be fastened to the back seat as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

I thought about that as well. I will look at my bike tonight and see if this is an option. Do not want to scratch my bike in doing this.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Ok I know this is very GHETTO...but I have strapped a backpack to the FRONT of my Memphis shades Windshield, just above the headlight...Was able to bring a TON of stuff....

On the same trip I also strapped the tent...(in the lng rectanglular bag, to the forks below the headlight...

It worked out great....no Wierd wind effect from the backpack on the fron tof the windshield.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
before I had my saddlebags, I personally couldn't ride more than 10 miles with even the smallest of backpacks on. Maybe you'd be more comfortable though :dontknow: I'd say try strapping something onto the bike itself...

G

·
My first bike was a cruiser and, useing a backpack sucked. Second bike was a sports bike and, useing a backpack was fine. I guess you are leaning forward. Before I got Saddlebags I tried useing a backpack. It really sucked.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I find that, at least on my C, unless I pull the straps to have the pack sit uncomfortably high on by back, the bottom rests on the passenger seat which makes it uncomfortable as well as its pushing up..

·
Super Moderator
64,223 Posts
Buy this for your fender;
http://www.snidersproducts.com/paint3.html

My VTX had a custom paintjob on it, award winning no less, and no saddlebags. I went on 6 or more trips with it and I bunjeed a dufflebag to the fender, a large duffle at that. Here's how to do it, and I never got 1 scratch on the paint from the bag doing this.

Wash fender
Wax fender
Lay down the static 3m paint protector sheet/s on the clean fender
Place towel on paint protector(use towel to clean bike when you get to where you're going )
Place bag on towel
Strap down

Once at your destination, wipe down the paint protector to clean it
Remove from fender and place in ziplock bag to keep it clean
Have fun

Bring along extra sheets of the protector just in case you drop a sheet on the ground. If you do that, throw that sheet away.

What causes scratches is friction. If there is a layer that is stuck to the paint, no friction occurs on the paint. Instead, the friction happens on the top of the paint protector sheets and that surface gets the scratches

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
If you've got a wife or girlfriend, bring her along and make her wear the backpack.
Problem solved.

Went on a trip this past summer like that, and my back was fine.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I use a backpack all the time for shorter trips, never any problems. I just hate the way saddlebags look. 300 miles is a bit long, you might use some of the other suggestions...

·
Registered
474 Posts
Do like hikers do: send your gear on ahead using UPS or FedEx.

CW

·
Registered
983 Posts
I use a backpack (it's a Cortech riding backback) and I can't even tell it's there when I'm riding....but that's just me...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Do like hikers do: send your gear on ahead using UPS or FedEx.
We actually did that when we went to the Coloradical. Not just hikers but bikers do that too.
With my wife not enough STUFF can be packed in 2 saddle bags and a T bag.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Gee just a back pak for 300 miles that might take you a week to get there.. Just fooling keep reading.

Why don't you remove your back seat and put dunder the seat 2 bungee cords and reinstall the seat. That way you can tie up your bag. Maybe you might want to put some foam where the bungee cords come up on the seat.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Buy this for your fender;
http://www.snidersproducts.com/paint3.html

My VTX had a custom paintjob on it, award winning no less, and no saddlebags. I went on 6 or more trips with it and I bunjeed a dufflebag to the fender, a large duffle at that. Here's how to do it, and I never got 1 scratch on the paint from the bag doing this.

Wash fender
Wax fender
Lay down the static 3m paint protector sheet/s on the clean fender
Place towel on paint protector(use towel to clean bike when you get to where you're going )
Place bag on towel
Strap down

Once at your destination, wipe down the paint protector to clean it
Remove from fender and place in ziplock bag to keep it clean
Have fun

Bring along extra sheets of the protector just in case you drop a sheet on the ground. If you do that, throw that sheet away.

What causes scratches is friction. If there is a layer that is stuck to the paint, no friction occurs on the paint. Instead, the friction happens on the top of the paint protector sheets and that surface gets the scratches
Spike,
Would this work to keep my passenger seat from making spots on the rear fender? I just bought a new Undertaker fender and the stock fender has spots where the ultimate pass pad was resting on the fender. I don't want the same thing to happen to the new fender.

·
Super Moderator
64,223 Posts
It might, but I would guess that you'd be replacing the spots often as the plastic would eventually wear through

·
Registered
370 Posts
Love Chicago-Spike's system. I have a Mustang seat with the pillion, have used a backpack strapped to that for several trips, always wanted to keep the bike clean (no bags) but your system looks like it would work for several type applications. Hmmmmm, got me thinkin' again.:roll:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have rode with a backpack on several times. The longest rides lasted about 2 hrs and i never had a problem with it, I would just recommend strapping the backpack on good and tight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts