Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my 07 vtx1300c a few weeks ago. It has 26,000 miles and I got it for a steal from a local Harley dealer. I had a concern at first after purchasing it as if I didn’t let it run for a few minutes before taking off it would bog down and die. When I let it run for a few minutes prior to leaving I have absolutely no problems and it runs great. Yesterday when I was going to leave for work it started and ran for a few minutes then abruptly died. It wouldn't restart and I eventually ran down the battery attempting to restart it. When I got home last night I hooked it up to the battery tender and began researching my problem. I read numerous posts throughout this message board and looked at the petcock assembly ensuring that the vacuum lines were connected (one did appear to be a little loose). I also noticed my vent tube was not even hooked up (the tube was there, it just wasn't connected to the tank). I also discovered my positive battery cable was loose and I checked over the ECM wires and could not find one that was broken.

I got up this morning after letting the battery charge overnight and attempted to start it having no luck. I dug further into the problem and tested the left rear spark plug for spark, when I hit the starter switch and the plug arced the bike started to run. I shut it off and put the spark plug back in, and hit the starter switch and it fired right up. It idled a little rough for a minute or so and then once it started to warm up it was running great. When I had the spark plug out I noticed the spark plug looked normal, it was dry and appeared to be fine.

My question is could this be a vacuum issue with the petcock? Nothing at all seemed to work until I removed the spark plug and put it back in.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I would clean all the grounds and put dielectric grease on them when putting back into place.
You need to clean the carb pretty easy even still on the bike low speed jet may be clogged.
get some new vacuum line it is cheep and ensures they aren't leaking.
battery cables must be tightened with wrench or socket no screwdriver

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I'd disconnect the fuel line from the petcock, ensure the petcock is on, no fuel should be coming out. Crank the bike, petcock should open and allow fuel to flow out. Obvious thing, fuel is going to run out so do what you need to do to protect whatever. If it flows then vacuum and diaphragm are good.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I have had a few strange issues with the petcock. Sometimes I swear, start the bike, the fuel leaving the fuel hose would create a vacuum in the petcock and hold the diaphragm closed. If I took the fuel hose off it would relieve negative pressure and begin working again. It might have even been caused by a warm bike shut off and a cold evening causing a pressure drop in the system and a vacuum either on the petcock or float valve. The VTX has more fuel feed problems than anything I have ever owned. I finally got tired of messing with it and removed and reversed the spring in the petcock. And capped off the vacuum line and petcock barb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Right now it is starting and running fine with no issues. If it does this again I will pull the hoses from the petcock and check for fuel delivery problems. I was just confused because it sounded like it was fuel related but as soon as I pulled the spark plug it started and after putting the spark plug back in it continues to start and run fine. Could this still be the diaphragm ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From reading these forums it does appear that the diaphragm has a design flaw that should have been corrected.

·
Registered
12,173 Posts
Looks like the non-vacuum 2003 petcock would work. Off-On-Res
About $54 16950-MEA-672 PETCOCK ASSY
OR
do what Heffly suggested.
OR buy the Pingel like DD said.

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
? Came from a HD dealer ? Is the idle set yo low to sound like a HD , potato , potato , potato. If so you may have the idle set to low , VTX's need a little higher idle.
Higher idle , higher vacume for petcock.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
? Came from a HD dealer ? Is the idle set yo low to sound like a HD , potato , potato , potato. If so you may have the idle set to low , VTX's need a little higher idle.
Higher idle , higher vacume for petcock.

Donut/Doug
It doesn't seem like the idle is too low but I guess that's always a possibility. Would be so much easier with a tach.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts