Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 VTX 1800R . Just took it home . Ran great for a week . Now won't start . Battery is good . Battery cables are sound . When I turn the key , sometimes the lights on the speedo light , sometimes not . When they light and I hit the killswitch , clutch and starter , it clicks acouple times and that's it . The fuses look good . Starter solenoid or relay ? Starter wiring ? Push it off a cliff ? Not sure where to start .

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
945 Posts
Had similar issue on my VW one time. Found the Negative cable was corroded. And on my X, found that that I just needed to do the Ground fix's. From your sound, Clean starter switches.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
2006 VTX 1800R . Just took it home . Ran great for a week . Now won't start . Battery is good . Battery cables are sound . When I turn the key , sometimes the lights on the speedo light , sometimes not . When they light and I hit the killswitch , clutch and starter , it clicks acouple times and that's it . The fuses look good . Starter solenoid or relay ? Starter wiring ? Push it off a cliff ? Not sure where to start .
Process of elimination starts with the BATTERY. Just because you have lights, etc., it's putting out 12V, but could have a weak cell or more. Fully charge it, take it to an auto parts vendor that will do a free 100AMP load test. NOT the 20 amp motorcycle load test. These beasts take the same cold cranking amps to start that a Chevy V8 takes, from a battery less than half its size. Get back to us after you've done this. The 1800 is a finicky beast and a properly maintained fully functioning battery is crucial.

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
BTW..... to keep your EMERGENCY stop switch from failing.....stop using it to shut your bike off. In the Honda Owners manual it states to use the KEY to shut the bike down. The red STOP switch is an emergency switch
Good one. I've owned my ride over 11 years now, and I can count on one hand with fingers left over the number of times I've had to use the kill switch.

Reactions: Merry Prankster

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
BTW..... to keep your EMERGENCY stop switch from failing.....stop using it to shut your bike off. In the Honda Owners manual it states to use the KEY to shut the bike down. The red STOP switch is an emergency switch
I don't disagree. Actually, to be clear, I agree.
However (that's a fancy "but"), consider the habit of using the emergency switch routinely because in an actual emergency, the habit matters. You don't your brain commanding your left arm to reach for the ignition switch while you have a perfectly good emergency switch at your disposal by your right thumb.
Brain habits matter. I try to form good habits. This might turn into an interesting discussion topic.

·
Registered
2003 VTX1800C Illusion Blue, V&H pipes, K&N a/f, mustang seat w adj rest, Memphis shield, MTC clutch
334 Posts
2006 VTX 1800R . Just took it home . Ran great for a week . Now won't start . Battery is good . Battery cables are sound . When I turn the key , sometimes the lights on the speedo light , sometimes not . When they light and I hit the killswitch , clutch and starter , it clicks acouple times and that's it . The fuses look good . Starter solenoid or relay ?
Had the same issue. Had me scratching my head. Mine would click or bump the starter then continue to click. I charged the battery fully and hit the starter sometimes start right up but mostly click. Turned out it was the starter relay. I'd mess around with the main battery cables and it would start , shut it down and it would start right back up. Sit for awhile and click. Turned out the top of the selonoid was corroded and needed replaced. Selonoid looked good till I pulled it and actually looked at in my hand. Good luck , vtx is an awesome machine no cliff necessary. TTT(MIKE)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you tried shorting the cables across the top of the solenoid? That should make it turn over regardless of switches if you have good current from the battery.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Process of elimination starts with the BATTERY. Just because you have lights, etc., it's putting out 12V, but could have a weak cell or more. Fully charge it, take it to an auto parts vendor that will do a free 100AMP load test. NOT the 20 amp motorcycle load test. These beasts take the same cold cranking amps to start that a Chevy V8 takes, from a battery less than half its size. Get back to us after you've done this. The 1800 is a finicky beast and a properly maintained fully functioning battery is crucial.
It turns out that my trickle charger is on the fritz . It won't go higher than 11.5 volts . Charging the battery overnight on it didn't help a bit . While I was looking for bad fuses , corrosion , etc . , I came across a very shaky looking buss fuse . The previous owner had piaa lights mounted on the lower forks . The plastic fuse holder had some melting on it and one end of the fuse was welded to the contact . I replaced the buss setup with a new spade fuse and holder . I charged the battery off of my car with jumper cables for a couple of hours . The beast fired right up . And three times since in the last two days .

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
It turns out that my trickle charger is on the fritz . It won't go higher than 11.5 volts . Charging the battery overnight on it didn't help a bit . While I was looking for bad fuses , corrosion , etc . , I came across a very shaky looking buss fuse . The previous owner had piaa lights mounted on the lower forks . The plastic fuse holder had some melting on it and one end of the fuse was welded to the contact . I replaced the buss setup with a new spade fuse and holder . I charged the battery off of my car with jumper cables for a couple of hours . The beast fired right up . And three times since in the last two days .
Spend ~ $30 on a Battery Tender Jr. Charges in tenths of an amp. Most trickle chargers are in the 2-2.5 amp range, which isn't bad. A Scumacher charger will charge @ 2-10-50 amp range. 10 is good for overnight. Glad you caught that bad buss connection. As you've probably deduced, those PIAA lights are good and bright, draw a lot of amps, thats probably what cooked the connection. Switching out to LED's will use a tenth of the amp draw, throw as much focussed light, and be easier on your entire electrical system, and free up some juice if you decide to add something else to the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spend ~ $30 on a Battery Tender Jr. Charges in tenths of an amp. Most trickle chargers are in the 2-2.5 amp range, which isn't bad. A Scumacher charger will charge @ 2-10-50 amp range. 10 is good for overnight. Glad you caught that bad buss connection. As you've probably deduced, those PIAA lights are good and bright, draw a lot of amps, thats probably what cooked the connection. Switching out to LED's will use a tenth of the amp draw, throw as much focussed light, and be easier on your entire electrical system, and free up some juice if you decide to add something else to
Spend ~ $30 on a Battery Tender Jr. Charges in tenths of an amp. Most trickle chargers are in the 2-2.5 amp range, which isn't bad. A Scumacher charger will charge @ 2-10-50 amp range. 10 is good for overnight. Glad you caught that bad buss connection. As you've probably deduced, those PIAA lights are good and bright, draw a lot of amps, thats probably what cooked the connection. Switching out to LED's will use a tenth of the amp draw, throw as much focussed light, and be easier on your entire electrical system, and free up some juice if you decide to add something else to the bike.
Will I need to get entirely new housings and led lights or is there an led that will plug in directly ? And will I need to modify my wiring , like adding a diode to the circuit ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spend ~ $30 on a Battery Tender Jr. Charges in tenths of an amp. Most trickle chargers are in the 2-2.5 amp range, which isn't bad. A Scumacher charger will charge @ 2-10-50 amp range. 10 is good for overnight. Glad you caught that bad buss connection. As you've probably deduced, those PIAA lights are good and bright, draw a lot of amps, thats probably what cooked the connection. Switching out to LED's will use a tenth of the amp draw, throw as much focussed light, and be easier on your entire electrical system, and free up some juice if you decide to add something else to
Had the same issue. Had me scratching my head. Mine would click or bump the starter then continue to click. I charged the battery fully and hit the starter sometimes start right up but mostly click. Turned out it was the starter relay. I'd mess around with the main battery cables and it would start , shut it down and it would start right back up. Sit for awhile and click. Turned out the top of the selonoid was corroded and needed replaced. Selonoid looked good till I pulled it and actually looked at in my hand. Good luck , vtx is an awesome machine no cliff necessary. TTT(MIKE)
I charged the hell out of the battery and replaced a half burnt looking buss fuss out for a new spade type with new wiring to and from it . Started like it was new . Right on , no cliff necessary . The solenoid looked pretty solid too .

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
Will I need to get entirely new housings and led lights or is there an led that will plug in directly ? And will I need to modify my wiring , like adding a diode to the circuit ?
Most LED's have their own complete unit, If you get lucky your search may turn up an LED that might fit. My LED's are on their own circuit, handlebar switch, and wired through a 6 circuit fuse block that runs right off the battery. I'm guessing that yours might be wired into your headlight bucket, and your hi-lo switch? Hans & Feet is our electrical guru on here. Hopefully he will see this and be able to help you.

·
Registered
14,238 Posts
I am not sure of what is wanted.
Led aux lights like your Rogue??
The Optional Fog Light Connector is good for two 25 watt halogen lights(2.08 amps each).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am not sure of what is wanted.
Led aux lights like your Rogue??
The Optional Fog Light Connector is good for two 25 watt halogen lights(2.08 amps each).
rangers4u suggested that I replace the piaa lights that are mounted on the forks with LEDs . I don't know if there are LEDs that plug into the same sockets or do I need to get the housing with the LED in it ?

·
Registered
14,238 Posts
Open up the PIAA and see what it looks like. If it has a socket you probably can find a match.

Reactions: rangers4u
1 - 20 of 24 Posts