Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stole this from the sport-touring.net board, but, I think it applies to everyone. Just change the bike to suit your tastes.

Coming to you live from Grants Pass, Oregon tonight.

I'm on my way to Las Vegas for the annual broadcasters convention that takes place next week. I got a bit of a late start today (last minute things to do and all) and decided to stop here tonight instead of pushing on to Crescent City, CA, because I spent the last 30 miles ridng through snow and lowering temps in the passes north of here.

BUT, that's not the real reason for this post. The ride today smacked me in the head and woke me up again. How, I wonder now, could I have forgetten about the simple joy of riding my motorcycle?

Oh, I can talk all about the wrecked Ducati and how it would have been SOOOO much better to have it under me on this trip. I can talk about how much of a PITA it is to stop every 100 miles to give the V-Rod a drink. I can complain about work and the office and the bills and on and on. I can pee and whine and complain about various issues with my bikes, maintenance, costs, performance, the latest repair bill, the little biatch that hit me on Easter and on and on .... and I HAVE been doing all of that. In the meantime, I managed to completely forget about the basic idea - having fun riding and travelling to far away places.

I've been a self absorbed, arrogant idiot for the last few weeks. All I could talk about was how crappy it was that the Duc is wrecked and how crappy it is that I don't have it on this trip and how I have to "settle" for taking the V-Rod on yet another distance trip with all the issues that come with doing that on that bike. My feet hurt, my back hurts ....

About 3/4 of the way through the day today, as I was emerging from a small rain shower in to a beautiful bright sunny valley, rich with the smell of balsam fir, surrounded by hills whose tops were hidden in the gray clouds, this though came thundering in to my head ... "Ed, you're an idiot - this is FUN, dammit. Why were you doing so much whining? HUH?"

There's people I know - hell, there's people on this board - that would give their left nut to be able to take a few days off and enjoy a ride through Northern California and eventually on to Las Vegas ... no matter WHAT bike they were riding. I forgot that until today. And I forgot how powerful a thing this can be.

I'm alive, I'm whole, I can see and hear and think and I'm able to handle a big, heavy, powerful bike in all weather to boot. A friend and colleague of mine dropped dead of a heart attack last weekend at the ripe old age of 42. My dad just turned 65 and It'll be a miracle if he makes 70 due to heart problems and diabetes. One of my employees just found out she has liver cancer after having beat kidney cancer ten years ago. Things could be a hell of a lot worse, ya' know?

The simple joy of riding. It's a gift and I'm DAMNED lucky to be able to enjoy it. I do enjoy it. I will continue to enjoy it. This is an amazingly powerful thing we do - it a lot of ways.

Time to stop the damned whining.

Edited by MisterEd on April 13, 2005 - 5:24 pm

·
Registered
248 Posts
black hills said:
I stole this from the sport-touring.net board, but, I think it applies to everyone. Just change the bike to suit your tastes.

Coming to you live from Grants Pass, Oregon tonight.

I'm on my way to Las Vegas for the annual broadcasters convention that takes place next week. I got a bit of a late start today (last minute things to do and all) and decided to stop here tonight instead of pushing on to Crescent City, CA, because I spent the last 30 miles ridng through snow and lowering temps in the passes north of here.

BUT, that's not the real reason for this post. The ride today smacked me in the head and woke me up again. How, I wonder now, could I have forgetten about the simple joy of riding my motorcycle?

Oh, I can talk all about the wrecked Ducati and how it would have been SOOOO much better to have it under me on this trip. I can talk about how much of a PITA it is to stop every 100 miles to give the V-Rod a drink. I can complain about work and the office and the bills and on and on. I can pee and whine and complain about various issues with my bikes, maintenance, costs, performance, the latest repair bill, the little biatch that hit me on Easter and on and on .... and I HAVE been doing all of that. In the meantime, I managed to completely forget about the basic idea - having fun riding and travelling to far away places.

I've been a self absorbed, arrogant idiot for the last few weeks. All I could talk about was how crappy it was that the Duc is wrecked and how crappy it is that I don't have it on this trip and how I have to "settle" for taking the V-Rod on yet another distance trip with all the issues that come with doing that on that bike. My feet hurt, my back hurts ....

About 3/4 of the way through the day today, as I was emerging from a small rain shower in to a beautiful bright sunny valley, rich with the smell of balsam fir, surrounded by hills whose tops were hidden in the gray clouds, this though came thundering in to my head ... "Ed, you're an idiot - this is FUN, dammit. Why were you doing so much whining? HUH?"

There's people I know - hell, there's people on this board - that would give their left nut to be able to take a few days off and enjoy a ride through Northern California and eventually on to Las Vegas ... no matter WHAT bike they were riding. I forgot that until today. And I forgot how powerful a thing this can be.

I'm alive, I'm whole, I can see and hear and think and I'm able to handle a big, heavy, powerful bike in all weather to boot. A friend and colleague of mine dropped dead of a heart attack last weekend at the ripe old age of 42. My dad just turned 65 and It'll be a miracle if he makes 70 due to heart problems and diabetes. One of my employees just found out she has liver cancer after having beat kidney cancer ten years ago. Things could be a hell of a lot worse, ya' know?

The simple joy of riding. It's a gift and I'm DAMNED lucky to be able to enjoy it. I do enjoy it. I will continue to enjoy it. This is an amazingly powerful thing we do - it a lot of ways.

Time to stop the damned whining.

Edited by MisterEd on April 13, 2005 - 5:24 pm
It's always good to be reminded to enjoy ourselves. Thanks.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Very good post! In life, there is no dress rehearsal...

·
Registered
649 Posts
B*%^&*

Great post, think our bros(and sisters) in the Desert are complaining about stopping every 100 miles or so to refuel. At least we can, and we should for them.

·
Registered
756 Posts
How refreshing...I think I'll take tomorrow off...

George

·
Registered
145 Posts
It snowed here in Pocatelo Idaho last night but my dad that is 69 is headed this way from Las Vegas So that we can ride togeather down to Laughlin next week. Wow I hope when I'am 69 I can ride with my son. I am very lucky........ :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts