Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
does anyone know the percentage of wrecks from crotch rockets as compared to cruisers or touring bikes? Also, is there any info on deaths as far as the percentage of what kind of bikes were used (again, crotch rockets, cruisers, touring). I'm curious because for a while I was hearing about a motorcycle death it seemed like twice a week if not more in San Antonio. When I would read up on them, 19 out of 20 were crotch rocket guys going 80+ MPH. I guess it's just for my own peace of mind but I would like to find statistics on guys who drive like me. Got a cruiser and sometimes use it to commute, but mainly use it to drive on country roads where I rarely see too many other cars. I know anything can happen at anytime but would be curious to see the trends at least. Thanks if anyone has any info. It sure seems like more motorcyclists are going down in all parts of the country these days and that's a little scary regardless.

Curtis

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
In three years, almost 24,000 Motorcycles were registered in that state. That's about 8000 per year. It's a pretty tall order for them to cut accident fatalities down 5% when the numbers are increasing like that .

·
Registered
141 Posts
A more interesting statistic is how many of those killed had taken an MSF course.

Here in NH fatal accidents have risen in the past few years...but statistically, riders who have completed the basic MSF course are not even on the radar. It's worth every penny.

As a side note, Massachusetts has a mandatory helmet requirement.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
2007VTX said:
does anyone know the percentage of wrecks from crotch rockets as compared to cruisers or touring bikes? Also, is there any info on deaths as far as the percentage of what kind of bikes were used (again, crotch rockets, cruisers, touring). I'm curious because for a while I was hearing about a motorcycle death it seemed like twice a week if not my in San Antonio. When I would read up on them, 19 out of 20 were crotch rocket guys going 80+ MPH. I guess it's just for my own peace of mind but I would like to find statistics on guys who drive like me. Got a cruiser and sometimes use it to commute, but mainly use it to drive on country roads where I rarely see too many other cars. I know anything can happen at anytime but would be curious to see the trends at least. Thanks if anyone has any info. It sure seems like more motorcyclists are going down in all parts of the country these days and that's a little scary regardless.

Curtis
I don't have any links and I'm too beat to look for any, but last I knew, the majority of fatalities were middle aged guys on cruisers, most either new riders or riders returning to the sport after a long hiatus.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Don, good point. I think I heard something about that. I also heard lots were just new riders which makes perfect sense be they on cruisers or tourers or sport bikes. And what Painter1 had to say about the MSF course is right on. There are those statistics somewhere and they do teach you great things in there, even some of the stuff just seems like common sense, it's a great course. I'm actually going to take the advanced course in the next few months. Safe riding all you peoples!

Curtis

·
Old Goat
26,260 Posts
I have had my X for almost a year and plan on taking the msf course this fall,I use to be into boats but with the jet skis (they have rights too) and all the drunks I just up and quit. Here in tenn. it is now mandatary to take a safe boaters course, helmets are mandatory but they keep trying to repeal the law. I believe a MSF course should be mandatory .02 Have a safe one out there.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I believe there is a higher correlation with substance abuse and accidents than crotch rockets.........they go fast, but more use helmets than the cruiser crowd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts