Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine just inquired about going to Sturgis. He read some fluff piece somewhere and got all excited about it.
I thought about it for a few seconds and laid it out for him:
"Not gonna happen, bud. Google says we are 16 hours from destination. I could make it in 12 but the you couldn't keep up, no offense.
Also, with my thirsty beast, I would need to stop every 100 miles for fuel, no joke. That is 12 stops. Multiply by 15 minutes if we rush the fueling, peeing and any snacking and that adds 3 hours. Weather and traffic excluded. And we would arrive at night, in unknown territory and with no accommodations. Thus no room for problem solving.
A more realistic approach would be to break it up into 2 days.
Do you have any camping equipment? No? Do you have portable A/C? It's at 35C there this week. Do you have rain gear to drive through rain? Or would we have to wait out rain in motel rooms?
So 2 days up, 3 days there, 2 days down. That's a week, bud."

He replied "I can't take a week vacation right now".

I told him that going to a rally is not just an afternoon event. We can plan for next year. He might get a faster bike too.

·
Premium Member
9,117 Posts
A buddy of mine just inquired about going to Sturgis. He read some fluff piece somewhere and got all excited about it.
"Not gonna happen, bud. Google says we are 16 hours from destination. I could make it in 12 but the you couldn't keep up, no offense.
Also, with my thirsty beast, I would need to stop every 100 miles for fuel, no joke. That is 12 stops. Multiply by 15 minutes if we rush the fueling, peeing and any snacking and that adds 3 hours. Weather and traffic excluded. And we would arrive at night, in unknown territory and with no accommodations. Thus no room for problem solving.
Do you have any camping equipment? No? Do you have portable A/C? It's at 35C there this week. Do you have rain gear to drive through rain? Or would we have to wait out rain in motel rooms?

I told him that going to a rally is not just an afternoon event. We can plan for next year. He might get a faster bike too.
Went in 2014. 3 days down, 2 days back ... to Calgary. Book almost a year in advance for accommodations during the rally. Anything less than that, you are banking on the good Lord looking after your roof for a night.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Last year after the event I was reading about how many got Covid from the rally, and it was labeled a 'Super Spreader Event'. Depending on how you feel about the concerns you may or may not agree you're probably better off having skipped this year.

On the 2020 Rally:
Based on that data, the researchers conclude that at least 649 cases were identified and linked to the rally, including secondary and tertiary spread to close contacts in numerous states.
But another study done last year at San Diego State University and the IZA Institute of Labor Economics concluded that the 2020 rally was linked with about 260,000 cases, generating public health costs of $12.2 billion.
Source: A COVID Super Spreader in 2020, Sturgis Motorcycle Is On Again

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Understood, typical leftist mass hysteria backed by numbers that have been blown out of proportion. $12.2 billion. LOL For real. I am laughing at the sheer idiocy of that.
Basic math (taught in elementary school that I'd hope every "journalist" and "scientist" would manage to graduate) teaches us that 649 cases out of 300+ thousand people is approximately 0.2% of infection rate.
Wait, did the "researchers" say "linked to the rally"? So not really rally-goers then. So the 0.2% infection rate is already way overhyped anyway. But let's go with it for now.
Compare that to our shameful Texas dim-oc-rats taking a vacation in D.C. and 6 of 50 getting infected. That's more than 10%. Confirmed cases onboard, not "related". But was not labeled as a super-spreader. Or costing billions.

How do you feel about these facts?

·
Premium Member
9,117 Posts
Understood, typical leftist mass hysteria backed by numbers that have been blown out of proportion. $12.2 billion. LOL For real. I am laughing at the sheer idiocy of that.
Basic math (taught in elementary school that I'd hope every "journalist" and "scientist" would manage to graduate) teaches us that 649 cases out of 300+ thousand people is approximately 0.2% of infection rate.
Wait, did the "researchers" say "linked to the rally"? So not really rally-goers then. So the 0.2% infection rate is already way overhyped anyway. But let's go with it for now.
Compare that to our shameful Texas dim-oc-rats taking a vacation in D.C. and 6 of 50 getting infected. That's more than 10%. Confirmed cases onboard, not "related". But was not labeled as a super-spreader. Or costing billions.

Oh, we don't much care for facts. They tend to get in the way of a good scare. The numbers for this whole Covid scare never backed the narrative.

For the left it would be perfectly fine if it were a vax only event. It makes perfect sense to them, zero sense to anyone who thinks about it.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
I'll take WebMD facts over yours any day. That's how I feel. My post wasn't meant to be political, so your bias is showing.

It doesn't take a genius to understand that huge gathering of people prone not to wear a mask is going to spread the new Delta Variant to levels of concern. Believe whatever you like and I'll do the same.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll take WebMD facts over yours any day. That's how I feel. My post wasn't meant to be political, so your bias is showing.
I know, I know, my bias is showing but ai just honestly cannot bring myself to believing leftist Commiefornian hype meant only to alarm, cause panic and shame those targeted by the political propaganda. They made it political.

Nonetheless, back to facts. If you please refer to exhibit A, the WebMD post you expressed your trust in, the math still stands that this motorcycle event generated less than 0.2% increase in cases and we have no way of knowing how much smaller the number actually was. And how many people actually arrived at Sturgis infected already? We would need to subtract that number.
But in my honest opinion, that infection rate in this case does not warrant the hyperbolical hysterical politicized term "super-spreader". Again, in my honest opinion, I believe that it was just a hateful political move, one of many lately, to label people that we are supposed to hate and drive the divide in the country even more.

Now, if you showed numbers where "a lot" (subjective) of attendees contracted the virus (maybe 30%? 40%? I don't know), I would agree with your use of the term "super-spreader". But at <0.2%, it really makes no logical sense.
Would you disagree? At what percentage would you start calling an event a "super-spreader" personally?

Oh, maybe a good comparable example here: Obama's birthday bash. If 1 person brings the virus and infects just 1 other person, that would come out as 0.28%. Should we call CNN, have them stop the presses and put up a headline calling the party a "super-spreader"?

I gotta agree with you here: "It doesn't take a genius to understand that huge gathering of people prone not to wear a mask is going to spread the new Delta Variant to levels of concern."

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the link. I read through that list. Interesting.
As usualm the majority of motorcycle crashes was caused by the rider, either by their excessive speed and running wide in a turn or by other loss of control.

The VTX rider went down due to hitting a traffic cone. Criminal charges pending? I do not understand. Something they are not telling us?

I liked the mention of a lot of cash seized. But the actual number was just over $1,800. If you arrest 100 people, that's less that $20 per person. Why are the police "seizing" cash? Is cash niw illegal? LOL
Plus if I am going to an event, cash is usually better than CC.
I am confused on this one, can someone please explain?

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
The VTX rider went down due to hitting a traffic cone. Criminal charges pending? I do not understand. Something they are not telling us?

I liked the mention of a lot of cash seized. But the actual number was just over $1,800. If you arrest 100 people, that's less that $20 per person. Why are the police "seizing" cash? Is cash niw illegal? LOL
Criminal charges would be pending in a crash if it is later discovered the driver was drunk, and cash gained by selling illegal drugs can be seized.

Reactions: Lou_VTX

·
Registered
72 Posts

I visited Sturgis in 2012 on the way back to Texas by way of San Diego, Seattle, and Saskatchewan. Visiting in May sure uncomplicates things.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the link. I read through that list. Interesting.
As usualm the majority of motorcycle crashes was caused by the rider, either by their excessive speed and running wide in a turn or by other loss of control.

Google, "asset forfeiture abuse".

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
2003 VTX 1800S, 2010 Goldwing, 2009 Spyder GS
94 Posts
I know this is a few months old but I went to Sturgis in 2016 and trailered it out (VTX), 2018 I rode out pulling my Leisure Lite camper with the Goldwing. Stayed at the Mount Rushmore KOA both times and had a blast! I’m in Louisville OH and it is about 1500 miles here to there. In ‘18 my wife and I took 4 days camping along the way to get there and spent an extra night in Sioux Falls to visit the falls. We rode all the beautiful roads and parks, went out to Devils Tower. The campground had a covered wagon trip up the mountain for a cowboy steak dinner that was absolutely awesome!!! I went with friends from the VTXCAFE and other bike friends from around here. I’ve had so many people say Sturgis is all booze and boobs and if that’s what you’re looking for I’m sure you can find it but I was able to do 2 trips and keep it PG and really enjoy both trips. I would love to go back some day but I want to see different things first. I’m thinking Lake Winnepisaukee in ‘22 but not 100% sure yet.

·
Registered
2003 VTX1800R
97 Posts
Went on a tour in 2008 with a group I use to ride with. They were everything but a bar hopping group. This was back when my yearly tally was a minimum of 30K a year. I did this trip with a splint on my right thumb riding a 07 Shadow Sabre using a Breakaway throttle lock as much as possible. I had an accident that February and had 2 surgeries between Feb and June. There was no way I was going to miss this trip. There were 17 bikes, 27 of us, including a loaded chase truck/trailer. We left central Virginia and rode hard to Sturgis in 1 1/2 days. Russ and I left after 1 1/2 days to go to Wichita and see his sick brother for the last time and the rest stayed there 4 days. They left Sturgis in route to the Medicine wheel in Wyoming 1/2 day there where Russ and I caught back up with them and stayed 1 1/2 days (I am officially "Crossing Branch"), then a hard 1 1/2 days down to San Fransisco so my buddy Coyote could dump a quart of Atlantic water off and pick up a quart. Stayed there overnight and headed East all the way to Jacksonville Florida staying 5 nights at various places along the way. You better have a chase truck for the long stretches in New Mexico and West Texas. 2 of us ran out of gas. 2 peeled off in Alabama. One had a worn out tire and the other stayed with him for support and a tire because he had used fix a flat twice already. They finished up the ride together. The rest of us headed on and turned North on 95 heading back to Virginia. I stayed with Coyote after we all split up and went to Virginia Beach on our way home to drop off the quart. It was a total of 8600 miles in just over 2 weeks. We all had a blast. We were all exhausted and if we hadn't drank so much and partied we probably wouldn't have been quite so bad. LOL I'd do it all again tomorrow if I was still conditioned, but there is no way my lazy ass would make it now. LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts