Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference (if any) between tires labeled 180/70HR-16 and those labeled 780/70R-16? In other words, I know the "R" is for radial. What is the "H" for?

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
"H" is the speed rating. here is what it means:

Here is a little information that may be useful about your tires.

Remember to keep your tires inflated to the proper pressure and check them often wear, cracks or anything else that can wreck your life.

Speed Ratings

Q = 100mph U = 124

R = 106 H = 130

S = 112 V = 149

T = 118 Z = 149+

Speed Rating Myths

1. The higher the speed rating the softer the tread compound.

2. A lower speed rated will always wear better than that of a higher speed rated tire.

3. The higher the speed rating the better the performance.

4. The lower speed rating will always give the best ride quality.

Speed rating is based only on the maximum speed a tire (not a vehicle) is capable of sustaining in optimum road conditions

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So does this mean that if the "H" is not present in the tire info, no big deal? I know this is a question I should know the answer to, but I am about to buy new tires and have never had to replace bike tires before. I'm a retread virgin!

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
XBox said:
So does this mean that if the "H" is not present in the tire info, no big deal? I know this is a question I should know the answer to, but I am about to buy new tires and have never had to replace bike tires before. I'm a retread virgin!
No matter what tire you buy it will have a speed rating. H is a 130mph tire,replace it with the same or higher rating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts