Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to have my own bike. I have been practicing on my sons honda 80 dirt bike. But i really want my own but have this fear that i will wreck. I think it is just a fear that i need to get over. I just dont want to have a nice looking bike and turn it over. My hubby bike is to big for me so i cant practice on it either. So am i crazy or is this the problem some have had before besides me

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Get a used pre-dropped and dented bike and practice on that.....only way to know if you'll like it is to give it a try. 8)

Take the MSF course if you haven't already. Around here....they supply the bikes and the cost is pretty low.

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
Poison said:
Get a used pre-dropped and dented bike and practice on that.....only way to know if you'll like it is to give it a try. 8)

Take the MSF course if you haven't already. Around here....they supply the bikes and the cost is pretty low.

cwtimes3 said:
I really want to have my own bike. I have been practicing on my sons honda 80 dirt bike. But i really want my own but have this fear that i will wreck. I think it is just a fear that i need to get over. I just dont want to have a nice looking bike and turn it over. My hubby bike is to big for me so i cant practice on it either. So am i crazy or is this the problem some have had before besides me

Trust your guts ...

My experience is that when riders of all abilities ignore this very valid "feeling" ... very, very bad ... bad ... bad things happen.

What's the point :?:

What's the "problem" :?:

opinions vary ...

all blessings ....

crew

:crew:

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Poison said:

+1 All the way! Having ridden your sons dirt bike, you are a step ahead right now. Don't get discouraged!

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Just remember that going down the highway or interstate at 70mph ain't the hard thing. It's the slow stuff that gets most new riders. You can probably find a good running used 250-500CC older bike with dents and dings galore for $800-1500. Find a huge empty parking lot to practice practice practice on and check out a MSF course as well, and take your time.

SiC

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Get something little and cheap. Practice in a safe area (away from traffic and other obstacles) and be prepared to fall down a few times. You didn't learn to walk or ride a bicycle without a fall or two did you? Wear the appropriate gear and you will be fine. Learning to fall is also an inmportant part of riding (specially in the dirt) Don't try to catch yourself with an arm or leg, just go ahead and fall. Trust me you'll be a lot better off. Falling is nothing to be afraid of as long as you are prepared and are at a reasonable speed. I've been riding for 30+ years and I fell off my dirtbike last thursday and I will prpbably fall off it again tonight.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
IMO you should look into the MSF course first. You will have a small bike and coaches to help you with the correct and most efficient way to handle the bike. Then you can practice what you were taught in the MSF course.

Lately this has been my plug for the ladies.......check out www.sisriders.com and share your concerns w/ our members. We have lots of diversity and experience.

Good luck! :D

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
When you first drove a car, I bet there was an element of fear (apprehension). I second the MSF course as a starter to build confidence.

Bull

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I agree that the MSF course should be first. I learned as a child and was pretty set in my ways when I was forced to take the course while I was in the Air Force. It was a base requirement to ride on base. I basicly had to relearn to do things the right way and that was my biggest obstical. The really sweet thing about this is that Uncle Sam (You) paid for it. I rode for a year or so and then took the advanced course (Thanks again) and realy tweeked the skills. It is an excellent program and a lot of good information came from it. Take the course

My father gave some of the advise you can get.
1. Never ride faster than you want to fall off.
2. Two kinds of riders, Those who have fallen off and those that have not fallen off yet.

Get a smaller bike, get comfortable. Then take the Old Mans bike and get him another. He/He.

Good luck and many blessings.

Moon

·
Registered
357 Posts
I agree with the above. Take the MSF course. Get a used starter bike, you will drop it, and it will be okay. You can do it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts