Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I'm reverting back to stock pipes on my 2003 VTX1800S. There is a power commander installed already. I intend to remove it because I desire to get the bike back to mechanically stock and factory specs. Is there anything I should look for or pay attention to when I remove the power commander?

Thanks for your insights.

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,548 Posts

·
Registered
2007 VTX 1800N (N1), Vance and Hines (baffled), stock intake, 23K miles and growing
233 Posts
I had a power commander III on mine and took it off, per the advice by the gentlemen you see above. If it uses vampire or t-taps at the throttle position sensor (or anywhere else) be careful not to break the stock wires. Sometimes those connections cut strands of wire and they become more brittle.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I had a power commander III on mine and took it off, per the advice by the gentlemen you see above. If it uses vampire or t-taps at the throttle position sensor (or anywhere else) be careful not to break the stock wires. Sometimes those connections cut strands of wire and they become more brittle.
Also removed mine for the better mileage.

·
Registered
2002 Honda VTX 1800 C
241 Posts
All I had to do with mine was unplug it because I put the stock exhaust back on thinking that you can’t have the power commander but that’s not true. I plugged it back in and I picked up a few ponies, and the thing runs great, but yeah, my mileage sucks. Who cares with gas prices at an all-time low 😁

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All I had to do with mine was unplug it because I put the stock exhaust back on thinking that you can’t have the power commander but that’s not true. I plugged it back in and I picked up a few ponies, and the thing runs great, but yeah, my mileage sucks. Who cares with gas prices at an all-time low 😁
I'll see how it goes once the stock pipes are back on. I'm getting 32-35 MPG on stop and go roads, but I think that is normal for for 1800cc. My Goldwing got around the same in stop and go traffic. Of course I could get better millage by losing some of my weight too :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,548 Posts
Are you talking about you are the bike losing some poundage?
Could always put a 1300 diff in that would give you bit more.

·
Premium Member
10,751 Posts
Are you talking about you are the bike losing some poundage?
Could always put a 1300 diff in that would give you bit more.
In my experience, a 1300 final did nothing noticeable for mileage. I liked what it did for RPM at cruise, but mileage, once corrected for the different gearing/odometer readings, remained unchanged.

The 1800 runs pretty lean at around town speeds and rev ranges, and a PC can help with the down low fueling, and for mileage, you can take fuel out of the richer ranges, but you'll likely give up a bit of power.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts