Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way to work this morning, 6AM well past dawn. I'll spare some details other than it was witnessed by a resident in her house, by a window. She heard the bang and looked. She told me she was afraid to come out of her house and face her fears that it was fatal. She guessed I slid about 80 yards. The deer seemed as of it was laying in wait for me right off the shoulder. (It didn't go far. Cop shot it.) Grass was a about a foot high. Jumped up and out, hit the front tire as it ran across from the right side. Turned the tire hard left which sent me into a wheel wobble. I eventually low sided, then as usual it dug in and high sided, thats when I let go for the eternal slide. I must have taken a shot from the bars at some point. I think that caused bruised ribs, other than that, superficial scrapes is all. I remember it all. Leather chaps my armored jacket and helmet did ther job. All i can say is, God was good to me at those moments. I'll be fine but not sure what I'm gonna do with the bike yet. Either get another one or resurrect this one. Again. About totaled it close to 15 years ago the same way. You guys have always given great advice. Always added creative angles to view things. I appreciate that. And have learned a lot. I read a lot but don't post often. Got home and looked at the bike again. Pretty sure for its age they'll total it. Not sure about buying it back, or parting it out. Or getting another X, that maybe needs an engine. Or start all over. I love the bike. Couple friends joked and said get a Harley just so I will work on their bikes. Wife says 'just go buy a new whatever you want.' I'm pretty frugal and see that if I had 2 VTX's I'd have parts till I die. Retiring July 15th this year, I'll be 62 in a few days. I was going to start a thread on that but not much for keyboarding hours on end. 3 years ago I built a repair shop to supplement my retirement. But I was really hoping to ride more this season.
I am so thankful for being able to post this. It could have been so much worse. Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
29 Posts
On my way to work this morning, 6AM well past dawn. I'll spare some details other than it was witnessed by a resident in her house, by a window. She heard the bang and looked. She told me she was afraid to come out of her house and face her fears that it was fatal. She guessed I slid about 80 yards. The deer seemed as of it was laying in wait for me right off the shoulder. (It didn't go far. Cop shot it.) Grass was a about a foot high. Jumped up and out, hit the front tire as it ran across from the right side. Turned the tire hard left which sent me into a wheel wobble. I eventually low sided, then as usual it dug in and high sided, thats when I let go for the eternal slide. I must have taken a shot from the bars at some point. I think that caused bruised ribs, other than that, superficial scrapes is all. I remember it all. Leather chaps my armored jacket and helmet did ther job. All i can say is, God was good to me at those moments. I'll be fine but not sure what I'm gonna do with the bike yet. Either get another one or resurrect this one. Again. About totaled it close to 15 years ago the same way. You guys have always given great advice. Always added creative angles to view things. I appreciate that. And have learned a lot. I read a lot but don't post often. Got home and looked at the bike again. Pretty sure for its age they'll total it. Not sure about buying it back, or parting it out. Or getting another X, that maybe needs an engine. Or start all over. I love the bike. Couple friends joked and said get a Harley just so I will work on their bikes. Wife says 'just go buy a new whatever you want.' I'm pretty frugal and see that if I had 2 VTX's I'd have parts till I die. Retiring July 15th this year, I'll be 62 in a few days. I was going to start a thread on that but not much for keyboarding hours on end. 3 years ago I built a repair shop to supplement my retirement. But I was really hoping to ride more this season.
I am so thankful for being able to post this. It could have been so much worse. Thanks for listening.
Glad everything worked out for you. Bikes can be replaced, your parts are one of a kind,at least the ones keeping you kicking. There are plenty X's out there for the taking. Just bought an 03 R 19,000 miles out in Washing State. Mine (03 S) has over 107,000 miles and has been an electrical issue on and off sine 08 when I got it. I'm gonna strip my painted fairing, bags and trunk to the new bike. Hopefully I can roll that one over 100,000.

·
Registered
11,811 Posts
Glad it wasn't more serious for you. With parts costs, inflation, supply chain issues, back orders, prices.......I'd consider just buying another bike, and as you said, have plenty of spare parts to either keep for yourself or sell.

Reactions: freeindeed

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Yikes, high-side does not sound like fun on a big bike. Glad you are relatively okay.

But it does remind me of a good old joke where a motorcycle rider also hits a deer, both are lying in the ditch, hurt, unable to move. The biker has a broken leg, some cracked ribs, broken arm, bleeding from his face, can barely see out of at least one eye. State trooper happens to be driving by, stops to render aid. Hears the deer moaning in pain, walks up to it and with words "you won't be in pain on mo" puts a .38 through its skull. Then turns his attention to the bike asking: "Are you hurt?"
The biker jumps up on his broken leg, wipes the blood off his face and enthusiastically exclaims: "Nope, all good! No complains! I'm just fine!" :D

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Glad you were not badly hurt Free. Had the same thing happen several years ago although I did not go down. Deer broke my damn leg though. Good for you for having your gear on. I'm a believer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank God you are okay!!!! My bike caught on fire on me last month.. I am building it back!! So keep it going!! Do you have any pics of your bike??

·
Registered
2006 1800S VTX
1,257 Posts
Sorry about your encounter with the deer. I can almost feel your pain, both physically and for your bike. Thanks for posting the hit. It will remind us to be wary out in the country and to wear protective gear, of which sometimes I am remiss.

We live in a very dangerous area with respect to deer. Our county (Hardin County, KY) had the biggest deer harvest in the state last fall, over 3,000. With eight foot high corn planted close to the roadsides, it's a crapshoot to ride these back roads.

·
Premium Member
2002 vtx 1800
3 Posts
Glad it wasn't more serious for you. With parts costs, inflation, supply chain issues, back orders, prices.......I'd consider just buying another bike, and as you said, have plenty of spare parts to either keep for yourself or sell.
[/Q
I hit one in the Ozarks on a 500 Honda 35 years ago, Whew I was Lucky too like you, and it will never be forgotten, it scraped me up alot, killed the big Doe i hit. I heal well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry about your encounter with the deer. I can almost feel your pain, both physically and for your bike. Thanks for posting the hit. It will remind us to be wary out in the country and to wear protective gear, of which sometimes I am remiss.

We live in a very dangerous area with respect to deer. Our county (Hardin County, KY) had the biggest deer harvest in the state last fall, over 3,000. With eight foot high corn planted close to the roadsides, it's a crapshoot to ride these back roads.
I live right on the Wisconsin border and hardly wear predictive gear anymore at all and it all started when my VTX broke down and I brought my truck out to repair it and forgot all my gear helmet and everything I thought f*** it I'm not far from home so I rode home and wearing no gear reminded me why I left bikes so much.
That being said Is it wise to wear protective gear of course it is but some of us choose not to.

I am very glad you're okay and sorry about the bike but the bike can be fixed and that's the good news I have a question though does anybody know if deer whistles actually work or not?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I don't think the whistles do a damn thing! But, I'm no biologist or audiologist. Figure if they did work manufacturers would include them along with all the 'safety' gear.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
I appreciate all the responses, means a lot to me from all of you. I think it's easier to fix this than a burned-up bike...geesh...But I know and understand the love for riding...If you look close there is the remnant of a Hornet Deer Alert still attached to the right front. I must admit it wasn't on this past Friday. I usually do though. The previous deer hit, (I think just over 14 years ago) it WAS turned on...Soooo..?...cracked my pelvis on that one. When I first put the 'whistle' on the bike about 15 years ago I was chased by 2 different dogs within one week....Weird. Deer reactions were always mixed. From running away like they got cracked with a whip. To, no response, almost as if they were deaf or maybe just lift their head to look, then go back to eating on the side of the road. Still waiting for insurance company call or email. All I know is they do have a buy-back option if it goes that way. Still not sure what I'm gonna do. Found an S for replacement...really, really nice! I also want to build one more bay to my shop. Yep Hans...'Decisions'. I have no problem getting back on a bike as I have wrecked a few over the years. Last 3 wrecks on abike in 29 years was going to or from my work. It's a 20 mile gauntlet for sure. After the sheriff finished the deer off Lou, he came to the ambulance and......asked me if I wanted my speed beef. When I declined he said someone else would like it if I didn't mind. Glad it didn't go to waste. I'm pretty much good to go health wise. Sleeping well at night with little rib pain.
But to sum it up, as I see it, we serve a 3 mile-an-hour God and I need to watch myself wanting to run to my next bike purchase.

Reactions: free1954

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I think the alerts may get their attention, but so do loud pipes. What the deer do with that is anybody's guess. I do know the electronic alerts don't work during the rut or a 'Harvest Moon'
I'll be retiring soon and won't have to worry about running these back roads to work so early.
I've always said, if I don't ride it in, in the mornings, I don't get to ride it home.
I always wear my chaps, gloves, armored jacket and usually a modular helmet to work. A half helmet strapped to the bike for on the way home. Most days the rest of the protective gear goes in the saddlebags for the PM ride. Except during the rut.
One could say.... It's all a roll of the dice.

·
Registered
2006 1800S VTX
1,257 Posts
I have air horns on all of my bikes and I wonder if they would be a help or hinderance for deer? I known they scattered a group of buzzards when I went around a curve while they were having a luau on on roadkill.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Insurance co. adjuster called and explained that the cost of repairs (retail I guess) was right at $7k to repair. They offered $5k for bike and they take it. $3600 if I keep the bike and it remains a clean title. $1400 to buy it back...if I part the bike out, I might get close to that amount but I don't wanna be dinkin' around with it being here in my shop all apart along with the listing, packing, shipping part. I've got other things to do.
Deciding whether to keep it or let it go has proven most difficult for me. That might sound crazy to some, but, oh well. My wife would be relieved if I just cut my losses and eventually maybe get another bike. She said she couldn't bear to go through it again, but knows how much I love to ride. I respect that. So far I think I'm leaning to just let it go. I've got a couple weeks to think about it. Every day is a new day and new things surface.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts