Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Linkage problems could be a result of worn out components.

This video shows how to clean and lubricate the linkage on the vtx, normally causing issues shifting through all gears.

Reactions: rangers4u and Blast

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Good post Doc. Kind of thing the guy who may not be a mechanic might overlook. But, certainly something any body can do. At over 100,000 miles I'm going to check that shift shaft lever on my bike.

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Wait.

I have been preaching this stuff for many years
also the little bushing in the clutch lever

if there is movement.. it NEEDS lube.

in the 1960's... clutch cable had a grease fitting
rear swing arm bushings had a grease fitting
steering head bearings had a grease fitting
front and rear drum brakes had grease fitting for pivot arms

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Yes sir, that brass 'barrel' in the clutch lever (pivots to push on the clutch master cylinder piston) takes a beating. Even well lubed I am on my 2nd one. The lever bushings (brake and clutch) will wear but are easier to get a drop or two of lube on them. And yes, I remember grease fittings all over the bikes. A 'springer' front fork had 6 itself. I'm not sure there's a single zerk on my car!

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
9,674 Posts
Yes sir, that brass 'barrel' in the clutch lever (pivots to push on the clutch master cylinder piston) takes a beating. Even well lubed I am on my 2nd one. The lever bushings (brake and clutch) will wear but are easier to get a drop or two of lube on them. And yes, I remember grease fittings all over the bikes. A 'springer' front fork had 6 itself. I'm not sure there's a single zerk on my car!
even the WORD "zerk" is gone missing :)

first zerk fittings , second power steering pump ( now electric power steering )...
transmission dip stick gone... transmission filter gone. throttle cable. ( fly by wire )

2000 Chevy did not have a trans dip stick...

HELL.. the 1975 and 1976 Goldwings had a RECALL to install a zerk fitting into the rear swing arm to grease the splines for the final drive.
< FACT >

Reactions: DrDolittle
1 - 5 of 5 Posts