Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Darnit! We bought a cord of firewood earlier in the year and now it's all gone. Buying a log at a time at the grocery store for $5 each doesn't seem like the best alternative. Does anyone here have a good lead on affordable firewood?

Hey - don't give me any grief for this post. I seem to recall some discussions on how to remove blackberry bushes and all that, OK?

Anyway - as most of you already know - my mood (and writing ability) is directly proportional to the quality of fire (and drink) that I have to work with. Well, that and the racoons - 8)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Yea that little bit I got ya was just a teaser. Down around the Port of Tacoma in the industrial areas you can find wood dumpsters and sometimes stacks of broken pallets. How ya been?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Hey Keevin, I think you can still get a Forestry permit for $10. bucks. Go out and buck it up your self. Got a chain saw? I'd be willin to give ya a hand.
If your just looking to buy a cord of wood, I'll keep my eyes open.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Keevin,
I work for Weyerhaeuser. In the past, I was able to get many units of busted lumber for building furniture or firewood. After they are tested in tension and bending, they are still left in good and usable lengths for furniture building. There is not much going on now given the status of our economy. If you want, I'll keep an eye out for them when things pick up. The price is right - free.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Darnit! We bought a cord of firewood earlier in the year and now it's all gone. Buying a log at a time at the grocery store for $5 each doesn't seem like the best alternative. Does anyone here have a good lead on affordable firewood?

Hey - don't give me any grief for this post. I seem to recall some discussions on how to remove blackberry bushes and all that, OK?

Anyway - as most of you already know - my mood (and writing ability) is directly proportional to the quality of fire (and drink) that I have to work with. Well, that and the racoons - 8)
I know a guy that cuts and sells FW, if ya wanna come east for it. I think he was selling for $185 a cord, split......

·
Registered
965 Posts
The only guy I know is at ocean shores lol if you want a vacation day. Im assuiming you have a truck already but in case you dont I do if you need any pickup help. Good luck, its always nice to sit by a fire.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea that little bit I got ya was just a teaser. Down around the Port of Tacoma in the industrial areas you can find wood dumpsters and sometimes stacks of broken pallets. How ya been?
Yup - I'll have to get down there one of these days. I wonder if there's be anything left on a Saturday as taht's the only day I can do it. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Keevin,
I work for Weyerhaeuser. In the past, I was able to get many units of busted lumber for building furniture or firewood. After they are tested in tension and bending, they are still left in good and usable lengths for furniture building. There is not much going on now given the status of our economy. If you want, I'll keep an eye out for them when things pick up. The price is right - free.
Tri - thanks. You're right - that price IS right :smile:
Just let me know & I'll come get it, OK?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know a guy that cuts and sells FW, if ya wanna come east for it. I think he was selling for $185 a cord, split......
Thanks Chuck. That's a long way to go for wood that expensive.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
633 Posts
I get mine from a logger from Packwood, back hauls wood from MT (birch/tamarck)to here and wood from Sea (alder) over here.

$100 @ cord, the bad part, full trucks loads only 13-15 cords and 20-35 ft lengths, but it is VERY nice wood and set in your driveway.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, Karen bought me a load of semi-dry Alder today (early Valentine's Day present). It was a truckload and I was thinking it was a little shy of a cord until we measured it. I guess it was a good deal - better than the last one we did. Last Summer we bought a large pick-up load (loosely stacked) for $125 and it took up quite a bit of space. Well, this load was easily 1 1/2 times as much and a better quality for $145 (delivered). I guess we're set for the coming year and I can sit and contemplate the greater complexities of the universe while consuming too much JD and I'll be a happy camper for the next year or so. A small price to pay for peace and contentment while helping to warm the PNW a little. Now all I need is a good stump some I have something to use for splitting the bigger pieces. We calculated that if we had bought the same amount of wood at Saars for %5/bundle, we would have been approaching about $1000. I guess I can split some if the bigger pieces into kindling - but I need to get me a good solid stump for that.
I'm pretty sure that we have more than we can conveniently burn for a while, so if anyone nearby has a good source for kindling, maybe we can trade or something?
OK - time for bed. Feel free to drop by sometime and we can sit out by a nice fire and have all kinds of discussions while looking up at the stars and feeding the racoons :)

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Hey, Keevin.....used to be you could get a permit at Ft Lewis to to fill up your truck (you cut)....Twenty years ago, it was 10 bucks and I don't even know if they do it anymore...

·
Registered
614 Posts
done with my quest to be a senior member tonight
Oh! come on, Tracy. You need only 70 more to go.

:lol::lol: You crack me up. :lol::lol:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Tri - thanks. You're right - that price IS right :smile:
Just let me know & I'll come get it, OK?
Keevin,
What kind of truck do you have to haul lumber away? I maybe able to get you half a unit of Pine lumber 2"x4"16' (a cord?). Please contact me.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Keevin,
What kind of truck do you have to haul lumber away? I maybe able to get you half a unit of Pine lumber 2"x4"16' (a cord?). Please contact me.
Wow! I gotta hand it to Tri on this one. We rented a 5'x9' U-Haul trailer and filled it to capacity with 2x4s. So that's about a cord of lumber - LOL. I've never measured lumber like that before. So between the cord of kiln-dried lumber and a cord of firewood, we should be all set for the next 10-12 months. Lots of good fires coming this summer. I can hardly wait for some warmer weather.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts