Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Manheim, Pa. today to the Auction (work), saw an OCC T-Rex rigid there. 2003 w/ 3k on it not in pristine shape but pretty nice. High bid 25k, the owner no-saled it, he wanted 26k. The bike was nice but in my opinion not worth that kind of money. The owner said it cost 42k new, that's way to much dough for a bike for me.

·
Registered
686 Posts
My buddy has a OCC. He lives in north Wilmington. He goes to Hooters in New Castle all the time. The only reason he bought it was because it was on tv. Its red with silver tribal graphics. If you see the American Chopper comercials its on there all the time. Its the bike that young Paul does a burnout out the door of the shop. Let me tell you something about this bike. It a piece of sh*t. The gas tank leaks, Rims are pitted. The paint started pealing. When the tank was off to be painted it looked like a 2yr old wired the bike. The body guy started pulling the tape off the tank and the bodyputty that was underneith the paint was peeling away from the metal. I was riding next to him and when we took off from a traffic light the left side of the handle bar broke the weld where the bar the handgrip is on slides into the main handle bar. I would never buy a OCC. I dont care if it was $15,000. He said it rides like sh*t (ridgid) "But its a Orange County Chopper and there is only 1 other one in Delaware" I just keep my mouth shut and roll my eyes at his buddy that has a new Ironhorse LSC chopper, thats alot nicer bike than the OCC

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
brivac, hooters

I'm gonna get up there sometime soon. I'' get up with ya. By the way did you get your bike entered in ABATE show?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bike on the website

If you go to their chopper page it is the first one on the left. Painted bars. This particular bike was blue with silver flames, it had spoke wheels on it though. May have changed from 03

·
Registered
592 Posts
There are a few here in VT too, word on the street is the OCC bikes are junk. There are a lot of builders out there that make a better product for less money. But I guess if you have a few bucks to waste, and want people to see a bike that has been promoted by a TV show...well...
Iron Horse makes a great custom chopper, Titan makes a sweet ride. and the prices are 1/2 what an OCC bike cost for a better quality.
If I had the money however, I would buy a west coast chopper. I talked to a bike builder that has worked on a few, and said the workmanship is top notch on Jesse's bikes.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Re: brivac, hooters

rebls said:
I'm gonna get up there sometime soon. I'' get up with ya. By the way did you get your bike entered in ABATE show?
Im definitly entering one of them. I have to call and find out alittle more. Like are the bikes roped off and stuff

·
Registered
808 Posts
VT VTXer said:
There are a few here in VT too, word on the street is the OCC bikes are junk. There are a lot of builders out there that make a better product for less money. But I guess if you have a few bucks to waste, and want people to see a bike that has been promoted by a TV show...well...
Iron Horse makes a great custom chopper, Titan makes a sweet ride. and the prices are 1/2 what an OCC bike cost for a better quality.
If I had the money however, I would buy a west coast chopper. I talked to a bike builder that has worked on a few, and said the workmanship is top notch on Jesse's bikes.
Well if you think about it, They really only have 1 real mechanic in the shop. Senior was an iron worker, as was Junior...they made railings and stuff. Mikey (as funny as he is) dont know the jugs from the rocker boxes and probably the smartest guy in the place is a 16 year old kid....keep in mind that they were the last place that discovery looked at for the show.
My top three (in no particular order) Billy Lane, Jesse James, and Indian Larry (R.I.P. :( )

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
keep in mind.....

The bikes you can actually buy from them may not even be built by Jr. and the rest of the cast you see on the show. Never been to the shop but I imagine the "mass" produced bikes are put together by some people we have never seen or heard of. I would think their custom bikes that people or companies are paying huge dollars (100k +) are put together better, and more detailed than the ones sold to the general public. I have seen several of their custom bikes and they were pretty nice.

G

·
0 Posts
If I wanted a chopper, I would just buy a kit from Big Bear Choppers and build it myself. And I gaurantee it would be alot better than anything the Orange County Clowns are selling, and I'd have way less money invested.

·
Registered
808 Posts
just finished reading a copy of V-Twin when I was at the shop today, you know thing have gotten out of hand when theres an Orange County Choppers cologne :shock: ...whats it smell like? 90Weight gear oil?

G

·
0 Posts
I'm not down on OCC, but I don't watch it when I see it on much anymore.

I got tired of watching fatman senior bitch and gripe for half of the show that Jr. wasn't wroking hard enough, and then reside to his office and throw his feet up.

I also wonder about the quality of their work. They sometimes seem to just throw things together. The other builders like Billy Lane, the "M" brothers, and the young Indian dude, seem to build a better product.

The biggest thing I question is how long they will have good eyesight when I watch them grind metal with no face shield, and mig weld with their bare eyes. Not very professional.

One final thing..............is it just me, or is every reality show based on a 7 day impossible completion schedule, with "being behind schedule" brought up 100 times per episode. It doesn't matter if it's building a house, pimping a ride, or building a chopper. They must think the viewer is impressed by a tight schedule. Anyway.

Bama

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
brihvac said:
My buddy has a OCC. He lives in north Wilmington. He goes to Hooters
in New Castle all the time. The only reason he bought it was because it was on tv. Its red
with silver tribal graphics. If you see the American Chopper comercials its on there all the
time. Its the bike that young Paul does a burnout out the door of the shop. Let me tell you
something about this bike. It a piece of sh*t. The gas tank leaks, Rims are pitted. The
paint started pealing. When the tank was off to be painted it looked like a 2yr old wired the
bike. The body guy started pulling the tape off the tank and the bodyputty that was
underneith the paint was peeling away from the metal. I was riding next to him and when
we took off from a traffic light the left side of the handle bar broke the weld where the bar
the handgrip is on slides into the main handle bar. I would never buy a OCC. I dont care if
it was $15,000. He said it rides like sh*t (ridgid) "But its a Orange County Chopper and
there is only 1 other one in Delaware" I just keep my mouth shut and roll my eyes at his
buddy that has a new Ironhorse LSC chopper, thats alot nicer bike than the OCC
The above comments/observations by brihvac, if accurate, confirms some of my
suspicions, and many more of my colleague's suspicions, of their (OCC's) quality and
engineering.

As to relate the above comments by brihvac to our beloved VTXs'; It's all about the
development.

G

·
0 Posts
<<One final thing..............is it just me, or is every reality show based on a 7 day impossible completion schedule, with "being behind schedule" brought up 100 times per episode. It doesn't matter if it's building a house, pimping a ride, or building a chopper. They must think the viewer is impressed by a tight schedule. Anyway>>

Yeah...Huh? I was just talking about that with my wife when we were watching American Hotrod. Enough with the pretend drama already. It's getting old. I just want to see a Chopper, Hotrod, or whatever else that's being bulit....built!

·
Registered
808 Posts
I gotta say I do like watching the show because the finished product is usually a pretty machine....but it's kinda like the "hot chic" you pick up at the bar...they look great until you wake up the next morning sober :shock:

·
Registered
56 Posts
As a mechanical engineer I am always amazed at the "chicken wire and beer can" approach to motorcycle fabrication that you see on American Chopper (OCC). If it wasn't for outside suppliers providing the decent parts the bikes would be real "rolling junkyards" with fancy paint jobs.

Man you lay out a six figure check for their bikes??? I am way more impressed with Confederate Motorcycle, Exile, Rooke and others. I really wish they would show the more impressive bulders and their craft and get over the "reality TV drama".

In OCC's defense they have hit the lottery and are milking it for all it is worth. Video games too - Classic. Laughing all the way to the bank.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Cappy said:
In OCC's defense they have hit the lottery and are milking it for all it is worth. Video games too - Classic. Laughing all the way to the bank.
You got that right Cappy... All the way to the bank.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like when they (occ) were building Jay Leno's bike.
They couldn't get the axle in or something so Paul Jr. was beating the sh*t out of it with a dead blow hammer. There were some other things on that bike that were done the same way.
If I was Leno paying probably over 100k and I saw my bike being built like that on TV I would send it back.
On the other hand, Jr. can sure tack weld well. :wink:

Dave

1 - 20 of 25 Posts