Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Octane VS Ethanol

I don't want to get into the whole octane debate cz I know the manual calls for regular 87 for the VTX.

My question is it better to put in 91octane ethanol free fuel cz here in Canada the only commercially fuel available that's 100% ethanol free is Shell V-Power.

I haven't felt a big difference either way cz i tried all fuel grades from 87 to 94 and I can't say there's a significant difference, I just want to know how the ethanol affects the motor in the long run...

·
Premium Member
7,174 Posts
I just ran 87 in mine. Stored in the winter with a full tank of 87 with fuel stabilizer. Make sure the fuel stabilizer you use is for ethanol blended fuels and you'll be good. I don't think there's any need to over think it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Was a dyno discussion on here years ago, if I remember correctly, there was an 18 hp loss using high octane fuel vs 87.

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
Ethanol draws moisture while sitting. Plain & simple. Causes buildups in fuel lines, carbs, promotes rust in tanks. Unless an aftermarket additive is used to stop it. Give me the unethanol stuff anytime. Especially for anything small engine like Lawn tools & mowers.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ethanol draws moisture while sitting. Plain & simple. Causes buildups in fuel lines, carbs, promotes rust in tanks. Unless an aftermarket additive is used to stop it. Give me the unethanol stuff anytime. Especially for anything small engine like Lawn tools & mowers.
That's my kind of thinking, but have been called out by many saying that 91 can potentially have more carbon build-up Thus ruining the motor in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
63,776 Posts
All we have had here in Illinois for the past 40 years give or take, is E10 fuel. All my small engines and vehicle engines and motorcycle engines run just fine on it. However, if you go to store an engine with that in it all you have to do is add some SeaFoam to the tank and then run the engine for a minute to make sure it gets to the injectors. Each one of my small engines be it lawn mower or snow thrower, start right up and run great after sitting for 6 months. Your 1800 with injectors can sit a lot longer with no problems. Ethanol turns sticky when exposed to air. Once it is in the pressure rails and injectors, it is not in the air.

·
Super Moderator
63,776 Posts
I will add this......if I had the option here, I would opt to put the straight gasoline in the tank before I stored my bike for the winter. 1 tankfull a year won't hurt. But day to day running, e10 blend will do no harm to your bike

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
All we have had here in Illinois for the past 40 years give or take, is E10 fuel. All my small engines and vehicle engines and motorcycle engines run just fine on it. However, if you go to store an engine with that in it all you have to do is add some SeaFoam to the tank and then run the engine for a minute to make sure it gets to the injectors. Each one of my small engines be it lawn mower or snow thrower, start right up and run great after sitting for 6 months. Your 1800 with injectors can sit a lot longer with no problems. Ethanol turns sticky when exposed to air. Once it is in the pressure rails and injectors, it is not in the air.
I have been running Seafoam in all my stuff for 9 years now, since I got my VTX. I've also had to scrap a gas powered leaf blower, and replace the lines and carburetor on my leaf vac due to crap buildup. I add the Seafoam to my Jerry jugs when I fill them, so it's already in there when I fill the tool tanks. A good system but not perfect.

·
Registered
99 Posts
For years all that I did was fill the tank with fresh gas and fire it up once during the winter. My garage wasn't heated BTW and I never had a problem. For the past 12 years we have lived in a home with a heated garage and only in the last couple of years started to add stabilizer when I put it away. I see the stabilizer as cheap insurance to old gas problems.

·
Old Goat
25,412 Posts
Since I dont travel very far...I keep 10 gallons of Seafoam treated in the garage to top off bike and lawn equipment (mixed)...E gas is all we got in the hood....I did just by a new weed eater and use some of that pretreated “Fuel
“ brand 40:1...I like it better than my own mix...burns clean....may get a can of the 50:1 for blowers...14 years zero issues with the bike on 87....good luck

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
I never use stabilizer in my VTX gas. I ride year round, even if there's only opportunity a couple of days a month in winter, no problems, always use 85 or 86 octane here.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Obviously real 100% gasoline is preferable. Nice in PA (where I spend some time) to have a choice. My bike gets about 5% better mileage on it. I love the smell. Crazy right?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I ran no ethanol in my X for a year and couldn't see much of a difference. Went back to 10% ethanol with occasional additive (mainly Startron). I use a mix of additive, oil and 10% ethanol in lawn equipment. Mower is additive and 10% ethanol mix. Two pulls in the spring and they fire right up. The X is ridden all year long. At least two times a month in winter, road conditions permitting. ALL LED lighting gives me plenty of power for heated gear. And the X does stay in a warm garage all the time.
Actually, all my stuff gets used regularly in spring/summer/fall, so the fuel moves thru weekly. And set up for storage pretty nicely (cleaned up, tuned up, treated fuel).
My last mower lost compression, not a bad carb -- just plain ole wore it out. I learned the importance of PMI in the military.
JM2C

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
Startron 'blue' is a good additive too, but being enzyme based, it will dissolve buildups that the ethanol junk leaves behind. Seafoam as an additive will keep stuff clean of the deposits, not purposed for its cleaning abilities. I add a splash of Startron to things I may only use once or twice a year, like my chainsaws, leaf vac, pressure washer. Other than that, I add a half can of Seafoam to every 4.5 gallons I put in my Jerry jugs. Things been working pretty good for years now, except that carb on a Craftsman blower. Junked the unit and bought a Husqvarna.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
98 Posts
Octane VS Ethanol

I don't want to get into the whole octane debate cz I know the manual calls for regular 87 for the VTX.

My question is it better to put in 91octane ethanol free fuel cz here in Canada the only commercially fuel available that's 100% ethanol free is Shell V-Power.

I haven't felt a big difference either way cz i tried all fuel grades from 87 to 94 and I can't say there's a significant difference, I just want to know how the ethanol affects the motor in the long run...
My last 4 new bikes the only fuel they ever had in them was Sunoco 87 octane 10 % ethanol. Filled to the top with fuel stabilizer to store in an unheated shed. Just had my tank off last week and looked inside and it looks brand new and I have seen some pretty nasty tanks over the years. Stay with the 87 octane Honda told me when I purchased my extended warranty that high octane fuel could void it so it must no be good in the VTX!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts