Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of going to Missoulla (spelling?) from Utah by way of Wyoming in October (cant go sooner) for a round trip back through Idaho. Anybody out there from these parts recommend against this? Cold is relatively ok, but sleet/snow isn't. Thanks!

·
Troll Patrol
4,743 Posts
slacks said:
I'm thinking of going to Missoulla (spelling?)
Missoula
Not sure what part of UT you are from, if it's like the weather in ID,it changes at will. Most mountain passes can/will have surprises. You'd be taking your chance in MT and ID that time of the year, but the scenery is the best. Lolo pass 77 miles of winding roads.
There's always the good ol' http://www.almanac.com/

·
Registered
707 Posts
I took a trip with my son in late May up through Yellowstone and then down through Jackson Hole. It snowed and rained on us 3 of the 4 day trip. October will probably be the same. Just watch the weather forecast, and adjust your departure day accordingly. Rain and snow is not back. I've ridden in it a lot. It just gets a little scary going over the mountain passes when it starts to stick to the road.

I'm planning a trip to the California coast, by way of San Francisco in October. The only part of the trip I worry about is Donner's Pass in bad weather.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I live in WY and we've seen snow as early as the first of September and as late as the middle of June just in the 5 years I've lived here. The weather can be great one minute and a few hours later snowing on you. My advice is to play it by ear, check the weather forcasts the day before you leave and if all else fails and you get bit, rent a U-haul van to get you and your bike home, don't take chances that can lead to disastrous results.

Oh yeah, if you are in this part of the country and need help, give me a call and I can and will arrange for help from me or my people. Just drop me a PM a week or so before you leave and I'll give you my number.

George

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.