Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings - I put the spiegler lines on my 1800 late last year. The front lines were no problem, but the rear were a little off. I bled them a few times and they seemed fine at the end of last year.

When I busted the bike out yesterday the back pedal was completely useless and there was no pressure to be had. There was no leaks anywhere, so I am assuming that air is still in the line. My question is this - over time does it move to the end of the line? Why would it work for a bit and then quit after sitting?

This is more curiosity than anything right now. I will bleed it again today. I have a second bike I will do this install on and I want to rectify any mistakes I make on the first one.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I am not sure about the new brake lines you installed, but I have cured air in the line by holding the front brake lever tight against the handgrip over night, and the air worked it's way back to the master cylinder. Perhaps holding the foot brake down would do the same.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am thinking that the rear circuit has more places for air to get stuck, so when installing new lines they hold more air. over the winter the air found its way to the top - in this case the manifold on the neck of the bike.

I guess it could also travel to the caliper, but I am not sure how. It would have to go down from the top of the bike.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
I think the high spot is the block where the line gets split so that the front and rear both activate.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Locate the high point as Harkon suggests then crack one of the fittings there while the system is under pressure. Use plenty of rags to catch the spray.

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
Locate the high point as Harkon suggests then crack one of the fittings there while the system is under pressure. Use plenty of rags to catch the spray.
And a good washing immediately after. (y)

·
Registered
11,402 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket master cylinder???

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
BTW, it doesn't really matter, where the air is in the line (at the end or anywhere else). If there is air in it, the brake won't work properly. If the brake was O. K. earlier, something has happened since then...

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was air. Took just a little brake fluid. I have speed bleeders so it was a fast process.

I could see a stead stream of air coming out and the pedal is tight again. I will see what happens over the next few days, but at least it is not a leak. (y)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am having the same issue. I have replaced the brake caliper and master cylinder. Better but still soft pedal over time. I am now replacing the Speigler lines with Goodridge, hopefully that works.

Dr Xtreme

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also member of that odd brakes club.I put the galfer lines and same thing happened over winter.No breakpedal pressure.Bleed it and now it is OK.Last season it was okey no problem at all.No air coming out from front calipers,only from rear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts