Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ,have been noticing an odd feeling from my rear wheel lately and wonder if someone might be able to tell me what the problem could be. At times, It feels like my rear tire is flat or that I'm running along some kind of ruts. I've pulled of the highway, expecting to see a low tire, but it's fine. I've also noticed this sudden wobble when i'm leaning into a turn. I've been told in the past that my rear tire is just slightly out of true. Could that be it, or do you think that it's something else? FYI, It's a new tire so know that there's nothing with the tread.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Rear Shock Bushings

Mine lasted 4.5k miles.. The factory ones are junk.

You can get a set of Nylon bushings (instead of teh factory rubber) that will last you a lot longer..

Product Number: 6389K344 $4.05 for 5 (you need 4)

http://www.mcmaster.com/

-Gonz

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Sometimes I have that happen when rear tire starts to wear down. Mine usually flattens in center with wear and really notice it in turns but OK when going straight. It always seems to go away after I replace tire.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a new tire, so the rear shock bushings might be it. Should there be signs of wear that I should look for to make sure that that is the problem

·
Old Goat
25,496 Posts
A lot of folks have switched to the mcmaster carr, I opted to use the new factory poly bushings from a F...here is how to tell if your bushings are shot.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I'm sure the shock bushings didn't go bad the moment you had the tire mounted. They can cause problems, but why would it start now? I would upgrade them though. I would check the rear wheel to make sure it was put back on correctly. Spacer, brake bracket and nut torque. Is the tire mounted in the right direction? How were the flange bearings? Is the new tire the same size as the old one? Even a different brand of the same size can make a difference in handling. If it's out of true, it should be replaced.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
I'm sure the shock bushings didn't go bad the moment you had the tire mounted.
Hmmm....I hadn't read it that way but if the weird feeling did start with the new tire, that would definitely be the first place to look as Jon suggested. Dealers screw up, bad tires get made, etc...

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I'm probably off base here but a friend of mine,on a HD softtail standard, had the same thing happen. Looked at the rear spokes and found loose and broken spokes. Just a thought.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great advice guys. I'll look into it. Unfortunately, I did things the lazy way and took it to the shop to have the tire replaced, so it could deffinately be an issue with the instal.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Check the simple things first..... Is the tire inflated to at least 40 psi. If not you can get some squirely feeling as well.

R. Todd

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
A lot of folks have switched to the mcmaster carr, I opted to use the new factory poly bushings from a F...here is how to tell if your bushings are shot.

TENNX thanks for posting that pic. it's people like you that make this forum such a great place for info. thanks again

W

·
0 Posts
Also, if you shocks are set to low, I dont know what you weight, but it can cause what is called a wallowing, Wich is like a wobble.
Check and make sure your shocks are not set to low. Start out at about 3.
That is the min. for me at 190 lbs.
My wife wanted me to crank hers down and I told her she wouldnt like it, and after the first ride that scared the *&$^ out of her, she ask me to crank it back up. 1100 v-star.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
As the posted pics show shock bushings out of alignment, it is possible that your's became misaligned when they jacked up your bike to change the tire.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
As the posted pics show shock bushings out of alignment, it is possible that your's became misaligned when they jacked up your bike to change the tire.

The only way that they will be "out of alignment" is when the bushings are worn out, there is no adjustment.

·
Registered
278 Posts
A sure way to figure out if the bushings ARE the problem would be to jack the bike up and inspect them.
From the pictures shown, it's possible these can wear down/out evenly on both sides.
Staying in-line or equally "out of line" may not have caused a noticeable effect until the bike was jacked up, sending downward force on the bushings...a new direction for them... it possible this got one high or the other low or finally broke the bolt loose in the hole and now it's moving in 'wallowed out' hole. BUT!!! even if your's are worn out, I kinda doubt it would cause that noticable of a "wobble" effect. I'd imagine it would just feel like 1 small "crink" as the shocks compressed/extended...that swingarm isn't gonna flex. I'd check the tire.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I'm probably off base here but a friend of mine,on a HD softtail standard, had the same thing happen. Looked at the rear spokes and found loose and or broken spokes. Just a thought.
:agree:
My son had the same thing happen on his bike, he has a friend that sold him a new rear spoke wheel that had a new tire on it for $100 which was cheaper than getting his old wheel re-spoked.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts