Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the honda scene, mostly kawasaki and HD in past have lowered both in past with very good results in handling and appearance, anyway picked up an 04 VTX1300C with 9000KM for under 3 grand a few weeks ago, doing some mods and was looking at suspension before the riding season got under way, I have read many posts about the less than stellar handling in turns with stock suspension and had decided to go with progressive front springs and a drop shock in rear, many have recommended the 11.5 progressive for rear. Anyway the reason for this post is the rear shock length, I measure the ones on the bike and they look to be 11.5" center to center of mounting bolts but appear to be the original fully shrouded chrome shock and not a aftermarket replacement as I have seen with the spring visible, cannot see any brand or manufacturer name on them, am I wrong in the assumption that the OEM's were 12.25". I measured these on bike without rider and rear tire suspended in air with my jack under the frame so no weight on shocks.

·
Registered
11,393 Posts
Looks like an OEM shock, could have been shortened.
A picture of the shock without glare/sun reflection would help.

·
Registered
969 Posts
View attachment 170906
[/QUOTE]

I was also going to say those are OEM Honda, Showei or something like that i forget... some funny Japanese name.

Hey, I hope you follow-up with this post with Pics and tell us about your new suspension set-up. I am thinking seriously of doing my suspension. I know an upgrade can make a big difference. Let us know please.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I was also going to say those are OEM Honda, Showei or something like that i forget... some funny Japanese name.

Hey, I hope you follow-up with this post with Pics and tell us about your new suspension set-up. I am thinking seriously of doing my suspension. I know an upgrade can make a big difference. Let us know please.
[/QUOTE]

Showa is the VTX Honda OEM brand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry guys been real busy
over last few weeks with the coronavirus and all, work for a company deemed essential services and we have been swamped, anyway here are the pics of the shocks on my bike, a little dirty from being in garage, they clean up nicely.

A little hard to hold tape and snap pic, but you can see these are approx 11 1/2 so must have been shortened, sure look like stock shocks to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yep, look stock to me too. They won't be their full length when installed, they are being compressed maybe a little. Measure with the shock removed. Its a 16yo bike they might settled a bit. Also may depend on what pre-load setting is at.
What was the issue you had with them again? If you're looking to replace with progressives then just go with what they say fits the VTX you have.

·
Old Goat
24,840 Posts
I saw no reason to spend the fundage on progressives...Ive been running 1800N shocks ...more travel and better valving...I believe most 1800 are similar with exception of the F with needle bearing lower mount...good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts