Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry about this Lamont/Tapper but with 11000 members I can't lose posting this on the General board...

Our house is 23 years old and have been patching the AC unit for 5 years, $500 here $600 there and fed up with it!!

The Texas heat is upon us and the unit is already 3.5 lbs low on Freon and at $28.50 a pound it's not worth topping off just for it to leak out again..

I need advice as to what unit is the best for the money? I'm already having to take a loan on the house to pay for it so the best deal is a necessity.. I'm needing a 3 ton 12 seer unit, so is there any AC guru on this board..

There goes our Mexico vacation and probably all my rally plans as well..
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
A/C

What ever you do go as high on the seer rating as possible, you will not hear the fan running unless your on top of it and your electric bill savings will pay for it, your electric bill will always go up in price and you need to try to off set it buy paying for more seer now than more on the kwh later! Just my $0.02 I went with a 14 SEER and there was a two month wait on a 16 seer and of course $200.00 more back then, but during the heat up here I rarely see a WTF type of electric bill and it is seven years old now and no problems so far! At the condensor the high psi line is never hot barely warm unlike the 10 seer units that feels like you just burned your skin. You must have a really large house to need a three ton unit, all units are more efficient when they run a little longer and you get rid of more unwanted humidity instead of starting up running for five min. and 20 min. starting back up, the more air you send threw the evaporator the better off you are. but you just might be blessed to live in a dry area which you won't have that much humidity to remove. You will be better off getting a professional in your area to give you there idea of what size of unit you need and then you can do some shopping and go as high on the seer as possible it use to be about $200.00 more a SEER unit you go up but the savings over the long haul is worth it. hope this helps you. Oh back then they were coming out with res. scroll compressors and they have less moving parts which means less wear and more savings on the required electric to run them no pistons and rods to rotate! Good luck! I am not an A/C guru and my training was cut short due to the lack of interest, (BORING) and had no intention on pursuing a career in this field, Just did what the company wanted me to do so my knowlege is eight years old and I am sure there is new cutting edge stuff out there that could and should be better, for the most part insulation in your attic and walls will do a lot to reduce your heat load along with low "E" windows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
I sent you a message, ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,340 Posts
I was looking at doing this myself this year. Had a guy come out, said I would do good to buy a 4 ton unit!!! :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
One thing I suggest to do is to get a unit that uses R410A refrigerant. 22 is on its way out and the 22 price is rising. All new construction is going to 12 seer as per code. A 410 unit is alittle more money than a 22. But I suggest to get it so you will not pay out the a$$ later if you have to pay for any refrigerant. I like using Bryant. I have been doing this a long time. My advice is to shop around differant companys and get atleast 4 bids. DO NOT pay someone to come out and give you an estimate. ALL estimates should be free! DO NOT tell the companys what the other guys bid is. Make sure everyone is bidding apples for apples. The best thing is to find a guy that works for a company and does it on the side. You will save $$$$$$$$$$$ If you know anyone in the construction industry ask them if they know anyone. If you get a guy that does it on the side MAKE SURE HES INSURED FOR ANY LIABILITY. Not through his company, but through his side buisness or him himself. You would sh*t if I told you the profit guys make on this. If I replaced a complete system,(on the side) with a 100,000BTU 90+ heater, cased 3 ton coil, 3 ton 12 seer (R22) unit, bunch of misc. crap,Everything. Complete job would be anywhere from $3500 to $4000 depending on the difficulty of the install. Im normally $1000 to $1500 cheaper than any company.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,977 Posts
The higher the efficiency rating the better. It may cost more up front, but you will get the $$$ back in reduced energy costs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
brihvac said:
One thing I suggest to do is to get a unit that uses R410A refrigerant. 22 is on its way out and the 22 price is rising. All new construction is going to 12 seer as per code. A 410 unit is alittle more money than a 22. But I suggest to get it so you will not pay out the a$$ later if you have to pay for any refrigerant. I like using Bryant. I have been doing this a long time. My advice is to shop around differant companys and get atleast 4 bids. DO NOT pay someone to come out and give you an estimate. ALL estimates should be free! DO NOT tell the companys what the other guys bid is. Make sure everyone is bidding apples for apples. The best thing is to find a guy that works for a company and does it on the side. You will save $$$$$$$$$$$ If you know anyone in the construction industry ask them if they know anyone. If you get a guy that does it on the side MAKE SURE HES INSURED FOR ANY LIABILITY. Not through his company, but through his side buisness or him himself. You would sh*t if I told you the profit guys make on this. If I replaced a complete system,(on the side) with a 100,000BTU 90+ heater, cased 3 ton coil, 3 ton 12 seer (R22) unit, bunch of misc. crap,Everything. Complete job would be anywhere from $3500 to $4000 depending on the difficulty of the install. Im normally $1000 to $1500 cheaper than any company.
Of course your cheaper, the company that you work for, that pays your health insurance and provide you with the truck that you take home and that you go do your side work in that they pay insurance on and maintain, the insurance they have to carry and the licensing they must pay for and the yellow page advertising that cost a frickin arm and a leg that got the call for that job you just stole from your company says a lot about you. You think your company makes so much money on mark up, but from what you’re telling me you don’t have a clue what it cost to run a company. Heck there are guys doing it on the side for $500.00 and I wouldn't let them in my house. There are some real Hacks out there and Most of them are doing it on the side. When the compressor burns out because of the crap work that was done who do you call to fix it?
Let me say this LOUD AND CLEAR if a technician offers to do the job on the side like this guy, tell him to get lost.
A reputable company pays his technicians very well so they do not have to do side work and He pays his technicians well because they are the best (well trained) in the business.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
KEN said:
brihvac said:
One thing I suggest to do is to get a unit that uses R410A refrigerant. 22 is on its way out and the 22 price is rising. All new construction is going to 12 seer as per code. A 410 unit is alittle more money than a 22. But I suggest to get it so you will not pay out the a$$ later if you have to pay for any refrigerant. I like using Bryant. I have been doing this a long time. My advice is to shop around differant companys and get atleast 4 bids. DO NOT pay someone to come out and give you an estimate. ALL estimates should be free! DO NOT tell the companys what the other guys bid is. Make sure everyone is bidding apples for apples. The best thing is to find a guy that works for a company and does it on the side. You will save $$$$$$$$$$$ If you know anyone in the construction industry ask them if they know anyone. If you get a guy that does it on the side MAKE SURE HES INSURED FOR ANY LIABILITY. Not through his company, but through his side buisness or him himself. You would sh*t if I told you the profit guys make on this. If I replaced a complete system,(on the side) with a 100,000BTU 90+ heater, cased 3 ton coil, 3 ton 12 seer (R22) unit, bunch of misc. crap,Everything. Complete job would be anywhere from $3500 to $4000 depending on the difficulty of the install. Im normally $1000 to $1500 cheaper than any company.
Of course your cheaper, the company that you work for, that pays your health insurance and provide you with the truck that you take home and that you go do your side work in that they pay insurance on and maintain, the insurance they have to carry and the licensing they must pay for and the yellow page advertising that cost a frickin arm and a leg that got the call for that job you just stole from your company says a lot about you. You think your company makes so much money on mark up, but from what you’re telling me you don’t have a clue what it cost to run a company. Heck there are guys doing it on the side for $500.00 and I wouldn't let them in my house. There are some real Hacks out there and Most of them are doing it on the side. When the compressor burns out because of the crap work that was done who do you call to fix it?
Let me say this LOUD AND CLEAR if a technician offers to do the job on the side like this guy, tell him to get lost.
A reputable company pays his technicians very well so they do not have to do side work and He pays his technicians well because they are the best (well trained) in the business.
BDC, Here is an example of why you pay out the a$$ for your system. He is right about the insurance and overhead. BUT..... Here is what this guy THINKS he knows about me but doesnt. I work for a major university in Philadelphia, Pa. Hmmm I guess Im stealing buisness from the university :roll: I have my OWN truck, my OWN tools, and customers I have had for 15 years. I dont need to "steal" buisness. I do a job for a guy and he tells a friend and he tells a friend, and so on. Word of mouth. I have more buisness than I can handle. I turn jobs away. I was suggesting ways you can save money and still get a top quality job. Most companys around me have nothing but "hacks" working for them. They do sh*t work. KEN's a clown. BUT... I love guys like him that come in with an outragous price and I come in pricing better equipment cheaper. Oh, by the way KEN I am licensed, insured, and bonded. Just like your company :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
915 Posts
Bobby,I may get flamed on this,but i used Sears about 6 years ago in my old house and was very happy.They had cheap financing and cost nothing up front.I did get the largest seer for my sq. ft.D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,173 Posts
Just replaced all of ours last December, with a new 4 ton Lennox (gas heat). The new units are far more efficient than those even 10 years ago. One thing to have re-evaluated is the outlets vs. return. Make sure there is an equal amount of air going in and out.

4 Ton Inside unit $1700
4 Ton Ouside unit $800
Ductwork mods $500

Total $3000
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
757 Posts
Hey Bobby-I sent you a PM about the guys I use.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
hey bobby....walmart has fans for 19.99$ save you a lot of money...


just sweat the beer out...!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,340 Posts
Mark in ATL said:
Just replaced all of ours last December, with a new 4 ton Lennox (gas heat). The new units are far more efficient than those even 10 years ago. One thing to have re-evaluated is the outlets vs. return. Make sure there is an equal amount of air going in and out.

4 Ton Inside unit $1700
4 Ton Ouside unit $800
Ductwork mods $500

Total $3000
Wow, I got a quote of $6000 for a 4 ton, 14 seer, 80% system. Estimator said I couldn't run a 90% in my house because of where the furnace is and how it would have to be vented. This was for a Trane. I'm leaning more toward a geothermal system anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
just goes to show how little you know. I'm basing what I say on 25 years in the trade. I don't own a company (sold it a couple of years ago) so I'm not selling anything to anyone. I'm basing what I said about you based on this and I quote "Not through his company, but through his side business or him himself." your words not mine. I have no qualms with you if you are skilled at what you do and you are licensed and insured but telling people to use guys that do it on the side and I’m talking about an HVAC tech that works for someone else is a big mistake. I've seen some real horror stories and people getting ripped off by these guys and yes there are some real hacks that work for legitimate companies. They aren’t around very long though. Oh yes and for your information the price he got was right around you what you charge and with some extras. "I work for a major university in Philadelphia, Pa." SO WHAT! :roll: am I supposed to be impressed by that. :lol: Hope what you say is true because most of the time it isn't.
P.S. folks there are plenty of reputable people out there to do this work and do it for a fair price, just do your homework. Ask for referrals and weed out the bad ones.

brihvac said:
KEN said:
brihvac said:
One thing I suggest to do is to get a unit that uses R410A refrigerant. 22 is on its way out and the 22 price is rising. All new construction is going to 12 seer as per code. A 410 unit is alittle more money than a 22. But I suggest to get it so you will not pay out the a$$ later if you have to pay for any refrigerant. I like using Bryant. I have been doing this a long time. My advice is to shop around differant companys and get atleast 4 bids. DO NOT pay someone to come out and give you an estimate. ALL estimates should be free! DO NOT tell the companys what the other guys bid is. Make sure everyone is bidding apples for apples. The best thing is to find a guy that works for a company and does it on the side. You will save $$$$$$$$$$$ If you know anyone in the construction industry ask them if they know anyone. If you get a guy that does it on the side MAKE SURE HES INSURED FOR ANY LIABILITY. Not through his company, but through his side buisness or him himself. You would sh*t if I told you the profit guys make on this. If I replaced a complete system,(on the side) with a 100,000BTU 90+ heater, cased 3 ton coil, 3 ton 12 seer (R22) unit, bunch of misc. crap,Everything. Complete job would be anywhere from $3500 to $4000 depending on the difficulty of the install. Im normally $1000 to $1500 cheaper than any company.
Of course your cheaper, the company that you work for, that pays your health insurance and provide you with the truck that you take home and that you go do your side work in that they pay insurance on and maintain, the insurance they have to carry and the licensing they must pay for and the yellow page advertising that cost a frickin arm and a leg that got the call for that job you just stole from your company says a lot about you. You think your company makes so much money on mark up, but from what you’re telling me you don’t have a clue what it cost to run a company. Heck there are guys doing it on the side for $500.00 and I wouldn't let them in my house. There are some real Hacks out there and Most of them are doing it on the side. When the compressor burns out because of the crap work that was done who do you call to fix it?
Let me say this LOUD AND CLEAR if a technician offers to do the job on the side like this guy, tell him to get lost.
A reputable company pays his technicians very well so they do not have to do side work and He pays his technicians well because they are the best (well trained) in the business.
BDC, Here is an example of why you pay out the a$$ for your system. He is right about the insurance and overhead. BUT..... Here is what this guy THINKS he knows about me but doesnt. I work for a major university in Philadelphia, Pa. Hmmm I guess Im stealing buisness from the university :roll: I have my OWN truck, my OWN tools, and customers I have had for 15 years. I dont need to "steal" buisness. I do a job for a guy and he tells a friend and he tells a friend, and so on. Word of mouth. I have more buisness than I can handle. I turn jobs away. I was suggesting ways you can save money and still get a top quality job. Most companys around me have nothing but "hacks" working for them. They do sh*t work. KEN's a clown. BUT... I love guys like him that come in with an outragous price and I come in pricing better equipment cheaper. Oh, by the way KEN I am licensed, insured, and bonded. Just like your company :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
I would like to reply about an accusation I made in regards to brihavac that he was stealing. Had I known he owned a legitimate company I would have worded my post differently regarding the comments about having some one do the work on the side. I don’t have an issue with friends helping friends or family but I don’t want to see friends make a mistake either. I should have contacted brihvac first to get my facts strait regarding what he meant by his post. For that I do apologize for making the accusation.

ken
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Ken, brihvac and all you guys for the help and knowledge, I don't think I ever had so many PMs in a 24 hour period...

Ken really knows his stuff, if I was to quote him from his PMs it would eat up half the bandwidth and crash the site!! lol Thanks again Ken!
I might not be able to call Thursday, I have AC people coming out in the evening at 5:30 and at 7:00 for price quotes, but if it's alright I would like to give you a ring Friday/Saturday night???

Thanks again guys, Gawd I love this family!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
686 Posts
KEN said:
I would like to reply about an accusation I made in regards to brihavac that he was stealing. Had I known he owned a legitimate company I would have worded my post differently regarding the comments about having some one do the work on the side. I don’t have an issue with friends helping friends or family but I don’t want to see friends make a mistake either. I should have contacted brihvac first to get my facts strait regarding what he meant by his post. For that I do apologize for making the accusation.

ken
I kinda missunderstood Ken myself. He is right about some guys being Hacks. If you go with a company the company will HAVE to stand behind it. A guy on the side (if he is a hack) can leave you high and dry. I have never done that to anyone and I guess I cant bring myself to believe that anyone else would either.
 
D

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I'm no expert, but I've heard not to go too high on the efficiency rating in this part of the country because the high efficient units don't run as much and therefore don't remove enough humidity. Just what I've heard on some of the local talk shows from guys who supposedly know their stuff.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top