Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GSXR Suzuki rolled off the side stand again the other day (in front of 18 mates) and when I arrived home there was my VTX in the garage, sturdy and stable on its sidestand I almost went over and kissed it. Often taken for granted (not anymore) that the honda has a nice reliable stand. Easy to reach with an enquiring foot and comforting when you lean the bike over on to it. I wish now I was a poet and could write a short witty "ode to the side stand" Maybe someone else can. Never the less a humble part of our bike that we couldn't do without. I now raise my glass in a toast " To the side stand"

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think Honda has done a great job on designing the side stands on all its cruiser line. It's located just right for your left foot to lower it when parking. Never heard any complaints or problems. You're right its an overlooked part but a very important part of a motorcycle.

·
Old Goat
24,079 Posts
After having not ridden for over 35 years...one of first thing I learned on this forum....leave the bike in gear on side stand.....:thumbup:

PS...second was dont drop the heavy somebeach.....:grin2:

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Over the past 56 years of riding, I can remember having a bike roll off the side stand once. It was my M109R with a 165 mm car tire on the back. When the bike was leaning on the side stand, because of the tire width and profile it is higher than with a motorcycle tire. With less down pressure on the stand it was easier to fold up when the bike moved forward.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My GSXR Suzuki rolled off the side stand again the other day (in front of 18 mates) and when I arrived home there was my VTX in the garage, sturdy and stable on its sidestand I almost went over and kissed it. Often taken for granted (not anymore) that the honda has a nice reliable stand. Easy to reach with an enquiring foot and comforting when you lean the bike over on to it. I wish now I was a poet and could write a short witty "ode to the side stand" Maybe someone else can. Never the less a humble part of our bike that we couldn't do without. I now raise my glass in a toast " To the side stand"
Kinda like the center in football.
Curious, did you park in on a slightly downward road? Any damage to your bike, scratches etc?

·
Super Moderator
6,131 Posts
I've never liked the idea of jamming my bikes into first gear ( I don't ride it into the garage) to park it. Probably nothing to that other than personal preference but I did decide to remove the need the year before last by making this chock. Now I just leave it in neutral.

Attachments

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Replaced the clutch lever and a small panel on the side. Both cheap (god bless Suzuki for their cheap parts) Now just a coupla scratches on the fairing that mostly I, will notice. Slight downhill combined with my short lil legs and over she goes. So many motorcycles are so tall, you would think they are made for little Japanese men of my height.

·
Registered
308 Posts
neutral whats that??
always in gear unless i have to push move it for some reason.
then right back into gear.
dirt bike stands were not very good either.
enduro bikes that is
no stand on the racers

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
my 83 Honda VF750F ( Interceptor ) .. rolled off it's side stand.
it's something about sport bikes ... and there side stands... ( Conspiracy )

I never left a bike in Neutral again
Good point to remember.
My son's '94 VFR has a center stand as well. With a single sided swing arm and the center stand, pulling the rear wheel is stupid simple. Last year he developed a valve stem leak and the tire went flat. Pulled the wheel, strapped it to the Harley and a quick ride to the nearest bike shop. Within an hour we were back on the road. He was waxing his bike while I was getting his valve stem fixed. His bike looked great as we got back to our ride ... Lol

Every bike should have single sided swingarms and center stands.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts