Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried a search but didn't find anything.

Has anyone taken a VTX up the "Oh My God Road", also known as Virginia Canyon Road, between Idaho Springs, CO and Central City, CO?

Is it reasonable to attempt on a heavy bike, or is it more of a 4x4/ trailbike road?

EDIT:

Took Hwy 6 from Golden to Idaho Springs, rode the OMG Road to Central City, took the CC Parkway to 70, and Hwy 6 back to Golden.

The only bad part of the road at all was in the first mile out of Idaho Springs. Where the pavement ends there is a section that USED to be paved, perhaps 1/2 mile long. That was the worst of it. The rest wasn't bad at all. There were many blind curves, but the road is wide enough that bikes and cars can pass easily, so unless the other guy is an idiot and cuts the corner (always a possibility) there shouldn't be a problem. There was some washboard here and there, usually on the inside of curves, but generally only a small area that you could get around. The views were nice, and may qualify this road for it's name, but the condition of the road and it's hazard level do not.

It rained on us pretty good for about 1/2 the trip, and all of the OMG Road, so we didn't get many pictures. Here are some we did get, props to my wife the photographer:

A small herd of Bighorn Sheep on the side of Hwy 6. I think they were trying to get to Clear Creek for a drink, but all the people stopping to look were keeping the sheep from getting across the road to the river.

About 1 mile out of Idaho Springs, lookig down towards town and Hwy 70.

Lookig west thru the rain and clouds.

The X in the rain.

Another nice shot of the X.

A shot of the road past my head.

Coming into Central City, sort of a "ghost town", probably the old town.

In closing, a nice ride, might do it again the other way because I think you could see more of the scenery going down instead of up the mountain.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Found this on trailcentral.com

Trail Description: The road is a well-maintained dirt road. There is a short paved section at the top, and the county is paving one mile of the road per year. Along the road, you will see many service roads branching off. Some of these go to national forest land, so feel free to explore. HOWEVER, some of these go onto private land with signs like this. We don't want to be responsible for anybody getting attacked by dogs, or shot, so please make sure you know where you're riding! The bike shop in town, Mountain and Road Bicycles (303-567-4666), carries an excellent map of the area. If you are planning on branching off of the main road, make sure you have a map.
George

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Edited top post to add ride report.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Cool ride with nice pics. I'll have to bookmark this thread under my "rides" favorite :)

George

1 - 5 of 5 Posts