Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally happened to me. Yes I laid my retro down for the first time and hopefully the last. I pulled in to a friends drive and didnt look down when I went to drop the stand and I put my foot in a oil spot. Down I went. Luckly all that happened was a couple of scratches on the right mirror and some small scratches on my new bigshots :cry: I was planning on replacing the mirrors anyway but now I have scuffed pipes. Anynoe know if you can get scratches out of the chrome Thanks Rammer

G

·
0 Posts
Make darn sure your chrome polish has no grit in it (most cheap polishes do) apply the crome polish let dry and then attach a buffing wheel to an air tool or a drill, or dremmel (becareful not to scratch paint etc.. ) If its good chrome it should buff out if its cheap chrome yah stuck with scratches.

G

·
0 Posts
The buffing wheels are avail at any good auto parts store or sears in the air tool section. I had someone tip over my bike (and 6 others) at bike week I had to invest in 3 wheels to buff and polish out the scrathes. Good Luck

·
Registered
755 Posts
rdrammer said:
Well it finally happened to me. Yes I laid my retro down for the first time and hopefully the last. I pulled in to a friends drive and didnt look down when I went to drop the stand and I put my foot in a oil spot. Down I went. Luckly all that happened was a couple of scratches on the right mirror and some small scratches on my new bigshots :cry: I was planning on replacing the mirrors anyway but now I have scuffed pipes. Anynoe know if you can get scratches out of the chrome Thanks Rammer
rdrammer
It happens to all of us. Even a wet carport floor would cause you to lose your footing. I dropped a BMW a few years ago while on a gravel lot going uphill.

Scratches in chrome are not possible to remove. The heat shields clamped to the pipes are chrome plated. Plating cannot be polished (cut down) but an abrasive wheel can remove the plating and then begin polishing the steel underneath. Unprotected steel will rust.

I'll bet V&H will sell the heat shields for your Bigshots. Call their customer service number and ask for Paul.

Boz

·
Registered
8 Posts
If the scratches dont buff out then they will rust like VTX Retro says. In that case you will need to either replace or get the parts re-chromed. I did some checking on getting some parts of mine chromed and there is a lot to it. According to plating shop i talked to trivalent chromium (Cr3) is thinner than hexavalent chromium (Cr6) . For parts that have to withstand the elements you want to use the thicker chrome but since it is so hazardous not a lot of places do it ( i live in mn and there is one place in duluth and one place in wisconsin ). The yellow pages under plating or chrome plating will be your best bet there. oh yeah, and its really expensive :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts