Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 VTX 1800C. My weep hole started leaking so I ordered the water pump, when I drained my oil to replace the pump, the oil came out milky and had obvious signs that my coolant was mixing with it. Is this due to the bad water pump or is there something else I should be worried about?
Hood Wood Fender Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

· Registered
13,640 Posts
I have a 2003 VTX 1800C. My weep hole started leaking so I ordered the water pump, when I drained my oil to replace the pump, the oil came out milky and had obvious signs that my coolant was mixing with it. Is this due to the bad water pump or is there something else I should be worried about? View attachment 213992
Leakage is usually 2 way.

Reactions: Merry Prankster

· Registered
14,807 Posts
The leakage at the weep hole, coolant only or mixed with oil?
How long has coolant been leaking? Any coolant Temp lights light up??
O-ring on the coolant pump keeps oil in the crankcase.
The coolant pump has a seal or seals to separate oil from the coolant.
Any possibility of a head gasket failure??

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The leakage at the weep hole, coolant only or mixed with oil?
How long has coolant been leaking? Any coolant Temp lights light up??
O-ring on the coolant pump keeps oil in the crankcase.
The coolant pump has a seal or seals to separate oil from the coolant.
Any possibility of a head gasket failure??
I rode it 3 more times after the weep hole leak started, then it dumped a lot of coolant in my garage The last time when I parked it, no temp lights and wasn’t running hot or anything that I notified. The O rings where pretty shot so I’m thinking they were the main problem. No oil in the coolant, just coolant into oil

· Registered
305 Posts
I have a 2003 VTX 1800C. My weep hole started leaking so I ordered the water pump, when I drained my oil to replace the pump, the oil came out milky and had obvious signs that my coolant was mixing with it. Is this due to the bad water pump or is there something else I should be worried about? View attachment 213992
I believe the weep hole has a seal on each side, one holds back coolant and the other holds back oil. Both seals should be replaced along with the water pump...

· Old Goat
26,953 Posts
I did a write up in the how to….its for a 1300 (pump is the same)…removal is similar except for slave cylinder…in the pic shows what should be replaced (for peace of mind)during install…pump can be halved for install but not needed…good luck

PS..there was no water in the oil….

Reactions: Merry Prankster
1 - 7 of 7 Posts