Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know oil is supposed to be changed warm or hot. I have always done so. But being laid up all week, I have way too much time on my hands to think about my upcoming change.

I have read bucketloads of posts about doing it hot. But I have never seen any actual numbers.

eg. Drain the bike cold. Analyze the oil. x has 30 ppm. Put same dirty oil back in engine, fire up, warm to operating temp. Redo, analyze, now x has 31 ppm , or 310 ppm, or 310,000 ppm. Whatever. (Both could be taken one after the other, then both sent off at the same time, just carefully labeled.)

What got me to thinking is the whole point to "detergent" oil is that it is supposed to hold contaminants "IN SUSPENSION." Now unless chemistry has changed since I took it, from Merlin, "IN SUSPENSION "means the particles do not settle out. Anybody ever seen any hard numbers? This would seem a good measure of the detergent effectiveness of a particular oil.

And BTW, if the oil filter is worth a carp, down to whatever microns, what are those particles doing in the oil after filtration?

Is the difference significant? Trivial?

Pass the popcorn.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think the hot makes the oil drain better, faster and makes it all flow out vs cold oil.

Just what I always thought....

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
what? are you kidding me?
I always like to lick the drain plug durring an oil change.
man, the older i get, the more fun they take away!
next time, im going to shut the garage door and do it anyway!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still no hard evidence, just opinions.

I have never heard of the API or the SAE creating detergent molasses. :shock:

If those oil detergents don't make a difference, then how do today's oils differ from the non-detergent oils of 50 years ago?

I know it seems right intuitively, it just seems to make sense. I am not questioning that it flows more rapidly. I am asking if anybody has ever seen documented hard evidence. as to just how much.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Hmmmm....interesting.
I always though of it more like what the oil can bring along with it when drained hot. Think of a dirty pan and how easy it is to wipe when its hot....let it cool and that stuff is just stuck on there.
Hopefully - by using a quality oil I am not getting any kind of gunk setttled in the engine - but if I did - it would certainly be more apt to be flushed out hot than cold.
Sorry - not scientific by any means - just my take on it 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts