Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just serviced My bike (03 1800 retro) And the book calls for 3.9 quarts of oil to be put back in after changing the filter. I only got 3 quarts back into it and the stick is showing overfilled. Anyone had anything like this happen? I changed it last year and don't remember this happening.
Also, When I'm riding my fan keeps kicking on, even in cool weather. Fuilds are fine and engine doesn't seem too hot and I got no idiot light on. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Make sure you check it sitting with the bike straight and don't screw the stick in. I'm sure you removed both plugs, but that may be something you forgot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, Pulled both plugs and checked it while sitting on it. It was still too full. I used a different filter though, (highflo) would that have done it.

·
Super Moderator
63,887 Posts
Filters won't matter, did you pull both drain plugs? Parked on a level surface, stand the bike upright with the drain plugs out to help the drain?

The fan goes on, that is what it is designed to do to keep the bikes temp below 220 degrees or so. 8)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled both plugs, but I didn't stand that bike up. Figured the plugs and filter were on the down side and all the oil would have drained. Maybe I left some residual oil in it? But I don't think it would effect it that much? Also, My fan's kicking on after only a couple miles and in cool or even cold weather. Bad sensor? I'm not sure whats going on with it, it just seems to kick on at strange times. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
679 Posts
Okay to drain oil on the sidestand.

You pulled both plugs, good.

Put in 3.9 quarts of oil. (I just dump in the oil and don't let it drain from the sides of the container. This has worked well for me.)

Your filter should not have made much of a difference. (Some are bigger and will hold MORE oil, not less.)

Follow the procedure in the manual: Start bike to fill the oil filter; allow to run for a few minutes; allow to stand for 2 to 3 minutes before checking oil.

Check oil with bike vertical.

Do NOT screw in the dipstick. Just set it on the threads as far in as it will go without screwing it in. (I think this is where you may have made the mistake.)

Let us know what happened!

8)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Iron Cross said:
My fan's kicking on after only a couple miles and in cool or even cold weather. Bad sensor? I'm not sure whats going on with it, it just seems to kick on at strange times. Thanks for the help
If your fan is cycling on and off things should be okay.

When the fan is cycling, check your coolant reservoir. You should see coolant in there. You may not when the bike is cold.

If your coolant reservoir is not at the proper level, fix it.
(Because you don't have many posts on this board, I can presume that you are a new owner???? Still under warrantee? Go back to the dealer for the coolant. Sometimes they don't top it off properly.)

Check that and get back with us.

8)

·
Super Moderator
63,887 Posts
No, I didn't mean you had to stand it up for it to drain it all. Just something I do because I want to be sure of myself that I got as much of the old stuff out. I'm just a little overcautious/zealous I guess. If you drained it all, then I'd put at least 3.5 in. Then take it for a ride to somewhere that looks flat and check it again. Sometimes a different locale does the trick. 8)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually had the bike since July of 2003 put about 11,000 on it. I just heard of this site recently. (Not a big computer guy) Anyway, I just started doing my own maintenence because of cost. The oil problem has seemed to have fixed itself. I don't have a clue what happened. I checked the oil in every conceivable position possible (Bike Position). I let it stand with the dipstick loose and checked it the next day. The level showed about 3/4 quart low. Added it, and now it's fine. Crazy as it sounds I think I had an air pocket in it or something. Got me! Anyway thanks so much for all the help. I'm new to this site and am truly impressed with everyones willingness to help. The fan thing isn't to big a deal, Bike runs fine, Fluids are good, I just thought someone else might be experiencing the same thing.

Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts