Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1. I was advised that on the (1800 "C") 600 mi check about all that is done is the oil /& filter change.. Plus any fluid checks etc.. If this is so I am just planning on doing the oil /filter change and fluid check myself. Any problems you can see with this plan???

#2. Read sometime back, could have been the 1300 board that following the Honda recommended torque values on the drain plug could result in a stripped drain bolt. Also what about the filter?

Any advise would be helpful. Thank you.

Tom ccc

·
Registered
501 Posts
I see no problem with your plan. For the drain plugs I always get them finger light and then get on them with a wrench and tighten by feel, I've never used a torque wrench on any drain plug (car or bike) and I've never had one leak, as for the filter, spin it on and get it as tight as you can with your hand and don't forget to lube the gasket.

·
Super Moderator
64,337 Posts
There is no 600 mile service, not even oil change, as per Honda of America the first service is at 4000 miles. That being said, most of us will agree to change the oil at around 600-1000 miles. The dealer will also go over all the fasteners of the bike if you purchased it new, just to double check their assembly of the crated bike.

I don;t use a torque wrench for the plugs or the filter. Hand tight on the filter, USE NO WRENCH. The drain plugs just snug up to the pan with awrench. Torque wrenches can be off a little, so unless you know how much it is off they can either get things too tight or not tight enough

·
Registered
19 Posts
Along the same subject - I just purchased my 2002 1800R and went to change the oil this week. I forgot to ask the last owner when he changed it and figured its cheap and clean oil is always a good thing.

I can not get the filter off of the bike. I tried everything I could short of putting a screw driver through the filter. I bought a filter wrench and even have a device you see on TV to help people open lids on jars. These have worked on everything else I own - cars, lawn mower and even my Shadow, but on the VTX the filter seems to be stuck tight. The bike has 3700 miles and I am now wondering if this is the original filter and oil in the bike.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh yes, the filters I purchased at HDL have the same circumference but not the same length as the Honda filter on the bike- did Honda change these - HDL mentioned something about that the part number is updated as of 407. Just curious.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Cruisinelvis said:
Along the same subject - I just purchased my 2002 1800R and went to change the oil this week. I forgot to ask the last owner when he changed it and figured its cheap and clean oil is always a good thing.

I can not get the filter off of the bike. I tried everything I could short of putting a screw driver through the filter. I bought a filter wrench and even have a device you see on TV to help people open lids on jars. These have worked on everything else I own - cars, lawn mower and even my Shadow, but on the VTX the filter seems to be stuck tight. The bike has 3700 miles and I am now wondering if this is the original filter and oil in the bike.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Oh yes, the filters I purchased at HDL have the same circumference but not the same length as the Honda filter on the bike- did Honda change these - HDL mentioned something about that the part number is updated as of 407. Just curious.

Thanks,
Rob
Same problem here when i bought my 2002 this spring. I got the filter wrench that has a hole for a socket on the end. I used my 3/8" long torque wrench for maximum leverage and it finally came loose. It was a tight fit - filter wrench, torque wrench. I did have to raise the bike up on my lift to get to things easier.

Greg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Greg,
I think the leverage was the key - we raised the bike up last night and after a few seconds of struggling at the right angle the filter came loose.

Thanks for the response.

Rob

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yes, Honda changed the the filter now they use the same filter as my wifes 1100 Sabre, I'm not sure of the part number but next oil change you can save a few bucks by using a Fram filter. This for sure will make a few people say WTF, but so far (until I find the right tool for the job, I keep forgetting to buy one) I've had good luck at getting the filters off with a set of channel lock pliers :shock: I'm not saying it is the right tool for the job but it works for me.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
DON'T use FRAM filters! The end caps inside (on the actual filter media) are glued paper. They have come apart and been blown into the engine. Purolator Pure One PL14610.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
Jimbo said:
DON'T use FRAM filters! The end caps inside (on the actual filter media) are glued paper. They have come apart and been blown into the engine. Purolator Pure One PL14610.
Ditto...one of the worst choices (Fram) one can make.

Bull

1 - 9 of 9 Posts