Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
KN204 filter $20.00 Mobile Synthetic $12.00/quart. Total $68.00. I am questioning the Bang for my Buck? I change my oil once a year when winterizing (approx 11,000 miles per year). I do like the kn nut. The standard Honda filter and oil are still Honda's recommendation at less than half the cost. What say you?

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
Walmart

Fram TG6607
Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic motor oil 10W-30 5 quart.

$6.82
$28.68
plus tax

once a year... 6,000 to 8,000 miles

and you end up with 1 quart for next year.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Yup...
Buy when on sale, change when ready.
Save some bucks and get good stuff!!!

I have been sitting on 4 qrts of Mobil 1 and K&N filter for just over a year now. Riding slowed down as I prepped to sell. Then sold house and am staying in Vancouver, Wa to visit kids for few months. When I get some miles on, I am ready to Rock & Roll!!
No more Welcome from Sunny So Calif..
But soon hope to be in Lake Havasu, AZ??

·
Super Moderator
63,663 Posts
KN204 filter $20.00 Mobile Synthetic $12.00/quart. Total $68.00. I am questioning the Bang for my Buck? I change my oil once a year when winterizing (approx 11,000 miles per year). I do like the kn nut. The standard Honda filter and oil are still Honda's recommendation at less than half the cost. What say you?
But, at 11,000 miles you either have to change it twice, 8,000 mile change interval, or leave the old oil in the engine over the winter. Other things to consider, Honda doesn't make oil. They put out a public bid for any company to MEET the lowest specs and then bottle it for the lowest cost for Honda to charge you mucho bucks for it. Engine oil is your engines lifeblood, Ithink a few extra $$ is worth it in there

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
Surely you don't use 10 W 30 in your bike??

from Honda owners manual... 2005 VTX1800 C/F. page 104.
I have 89,000 miles on the bike... all are my miles.
I change the oil once a year.. it does not loose ANY..
Now that I live in South Texas... I use 10w40..... as the summer temperature was 109 degrees (F) .. a few times.

I will not repeat where I worked for 20 years..

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ever since I bought my VTX new in 2004, I have used Pro Honda GN4 SAE 10w-30SJ oil along with Honda oil filters #15410-MFJ-D01. I change my oil once per year in November for Winter prep and use 10w-30 because I live in N.E. Ohio. Every time I change the motor oil I also change out the final drive oil as well. I use Pro Honda shaft drive oil Hypoid gear oil SAE 80w90.

I have most always used this bike for long(er) rides and almost never drove it back & forth to work (retired now). I love sight-seeing so this bike doesn't get "ridden hard" but I have racked up some highway miles. Honda oil & filters work well for the type of riding I have always done and will continue to do as long as I can.

·
Super Moderator
63,663 Posts
Not to change your ways, but Honda GN4 retails for $13 a qt. for natural oil. As I said earlier, Honda doesn't make oil, they put out a public bid and the supplier that bids the lowest wins. Then Honda jacks the price up to customers. Full Synthetic AMSOIL MCT 10-30 retails for $13.10 a qt and you can double your change interval to 16,000 miles. Less waste oil, less cash loss for you ;)

·
Registered
309 Posts
11,000 miles between changes is way too long.
i change every 3-4 thousand miles.
manual says 8,000 miles
its probably the best thing you can do for your bike for longevity and minimal engine wear.
heck at 3-4 thousand miles you can get dino rotella and a super-tech filter at walmart.
less than 20 bucks for an oil change and a happy bike!!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SuperTech-ST6607-2-1-2-Spin-on-Oil-Filter/506906164

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rotella-T4-Triple-Protection-SAE-15W-40-Engine-Oil/181236405

·
Registered
308 Posts
11,000 miles between changes is way too long.
i change every 3-4 thousand miles.
manual says 8,000 miles
its probably the best thing you can do for your bike for longevity and minimal engine wear.
heck at 3-4 thousand miles you can get dino rotella and a super-tech filter at walmart.
less than 20 bucks for an oil change and a happy bike!!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/SuperTech-ST6607-2-1-2-Spin-on-Oil-Filter/506906164

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Rotella-T4-Triple-Protection-SAE-15W-40-Engine-Oil/181236405
The only reason to use synthetic is to extend the oil change.If you are using synthetic and changing at 3000 miles you are wasting your money. In all reality the only reason that a full synthetic needs changed at 8000 miles with a water cooled bike like the VTX is the oil filter is ****ty and it doesn't pull out soot and other contaminates like it should. We actually tested a system where you had a centrifuge type filter and added additives instead of oil changes and got the same engine and component life as trucks that the oil was changed. Reason we dropped it is it ended up being more expensive. "Every one is trying to sell a better cow magnet" Mobile one synthetic motorcycle oil at Walmart best deal ever

·
Registered
930 Posts
The Arizona Valley is a dusty environment so i change my synth oil every 4000-5000, usually 4500 mi. Honda filter.
Rotella T6 is all its had from me so far.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Surely you don't use 10 W 30 in your bike??
Oil brands and weights has been a discussion here on VTXOA from the beginning of this site. So many different opinions on brands and weights. Even if you use the cheapest engine oil close to the weight of 10W 40, I've never heard a one case of someone destroying an engine with a engine oil a little off from 10W 40, just as long as the oil level was correct and the oil and filter is changed at the correct intervals and mileage. Now which oil is the best for the longest engine life, it will be an endless discussion.

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
I have been using Synthetic oil since 1974....

AMZOIL
AMSOIL
Mobil One.

the debate was raging back then.. and still is..

in 1983 I purchase a New Goldwing...... in 149,000 miles it had 6 oil changes...
AMZOIL every 25,000 miles ... I totaled that bike at 149,000 miles.

bike was sold and repaired.. and continued riding down the road.

oil filter was replaced every 12,500 miles ( FRAM oil Filter )

never used oil, engine was never opened up.. NO internal parts needed replacement.

1972_OriginalCan

·
Old Goat
24,822 Posts
Geeze another oil thread...who would of thunk it....for me its never about the money ..its about “peace O mind”...I use top shelf products...eg....engine ice,Bosch 3323 and Mobil 1.....post on dudes...:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
Education, over HYPE...

but 'YES'... at the end of the day.. you must be able to sleep at night.
for those that can.

I will repeat myself.
the 3,000 mile oil changes were for car Engines that did NOT have oil filters...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Just some food for thought...

I know the OP question centered around cost, which is a valid point to be sure. However, when to change your oil and with what oil/filter are questions that follow right behind the one of cost. The 4 friends I ride with up here, all have different bikes and we all use (and swear by) different products. We have discussed this "ad nauseam" and are no closer to a consensus at all.

One point we do agree on is you should change your oil at the manufacturer's recommended mileage. Synthetic oil will give you longer mileage in-between changes but originally, the cost is a bit more. Synthetic oil and the proper weight of that oil (something like "Amsoil", "Mobil 1"), is a must if you live up in the frozen north or down where the heat becomes a real issue. This gets into engine "care" as well as "cost". We also agree that if you are going to use "Dino oil" (non-synthetic) and are concerned about engine ware, you could use something like "Archoil" or "Lucas oil" additives. Which gives you better protection but bumps up the cost at each oil change. Most Harley owners (older bikes as well as brand new) are using a Synthetic oil to quiet down some of the engine noise as well as longer life out of air-cooled Vtwins - https://www.harley-davidson.com/shop/motorcycle-oil-change-kits. To my one friend, (who has money) cost is not an issue, engine protection is tops on his list. To another friend of mine, every dollar counts and he puts the cheapest oil/filter he can find on this bike.

Hold on my head is starting to hurt from all of this!

Whatever you choose to protect your bike you should be religious about changing that oil/filter, plugs, air/carb filters, to give your engine the best care so it will give you years of service.

My father used to tell by brothers and I about caring for machinal things (car, lawn mowers, whatever) "If you take care of it... it will take care of you." I have always tried to live by that advice and it has been great advice.

Like is said, just some food for thought.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Mostly go with Mobil 1, stock up when they offer rebates and end up paying approx 7 bucks a quart. Paired with a WIX or Bosch filter, about 33 bucks.
The 1800 Valkyrie gets the same.

Amsoil is just a blender, they purchase base from Mobil and elsewhere. Boutique oil at inflated prices.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts