Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
To answer an email I got as to how much I spend per oil change, well this was this month November;

1 gal. - $27.98, $6.99/quart -

Total with final drive change: $48.63

Another minimal cost is crush washers and a rubber washer for final drive oil fill cap. So I have about $50 (give or take) into each oil change. I hope this answers your question.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Just to give you guys a laugh, I thought I would tell you the price here. We have a much smaller population, therefore less consumers. I looked at oil the other day and semi synthetic was $70 for 4 litres (just about a gallon) synthetic was $120. Oil filters are apropriatry priced. Think yourselves lucky you have high volume sales to bring down the price. In perspective though, minimum wage here is about $21 an hour or thereabouts.

·
Registered
8,944 Posts
my view.. it was NEVER about the money.. or the work...
its about the LIE's marketing feeds the ill informed..
look into the money.. the quicky oil change places make each year..
and the companies that supply them... then the oil filter companies...

if you change from 3,000 to 6,000 miles per oil change.. do the math.. even if you change your own oil...

then add up the number of engines in the country..

to point a case.
a Ford F350 with a Gas engine... its a 2011.. A work truck.
it has a flat bed instead of a pickup bed.. so is ALWAYS carrying HEAVY.

its camshaft failed.. at 418,000 miles....

oil change was every 5,000 miles.. Dino oil and average oil filter.
its is Documented on a Ford Truck Forum.. with photos...
he had Ford install a new crate engine... transmission and final drive got fluid changes. and now has passed 550,000 miles

·
Registered
492 Posts
Engine Oil and Filter:

Page 81 of the 2007 VTX 1300 S/R owners manual.

"When running in very dusty conditions, oil changes should me performed more frequently than specified in the maintenance schedule."

·
Super Moderator
63,576 Posts
my view.. it was NEVER about the money.. or the work...
its about the LIE's marketing feeds the ill informed..
look into the money.. the quicky oil change places make each year..
and the companies that supply them... then the oil filter companies...

if you change from 3,000 to 6,000 miles per oil change.. do the math.. even if you change your own oil...

then add up the number of engines in the country..

to point a case.
a Ford F350 with a Gas engine... its a 2011.. A work truck.
it has a flat bed instead of a pickup bed.. so is ALWAYS carrying HEAVY.

its camshaft failed.. at 418,000 miles....

oil change was every 5,000 miles.. Dino oil and average oil filter.
its is Documented on a Ford Truck Forum.. with photos...
he had Ford install a new crate engine... transmission and final drive got fluid changes. and now has passed 550,000 miles
We have a WINNER!!!! That old oil change addage "Change your oil every 3,000 miles bla bla bbla..." was coined DECADES AGO when oil came in single weights and had zero additives and no oil filters. But, because oil companies and vehicle companies saw a cash cow even after oil technology evolved in leaps and bounds, they stayed with it. Why tell people they are wasting their money, when that money they are wasting is going to them?

·
Registered
9,920 Posts
Engine Oil and Filter:

Page 81 of the 2007 VTX 1300 S/R owners manual.

"When running in very dusty conditions, oil changes should me performed more frequently than specified in the maintenance schedule."
Just about any engine mfg out there will tell you to change oil more frequently when operating in severe duty conditions. And yes, “very dusty” counts as severe duty.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Well thanks everyone. I think I got too many answers. LOL

I see another post "the infamous oil change. He made need some help?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Just about any engine mfg out there will tell you to change oil more frequently when operating in severe duty conditions. And yes, “very dusty” counts as severe duty.
:thumbup:.

The Arizona valley is dusty but not sure if it qualifies as "very dusty". i could see off-road riding definitely being "very dusty" down here. We get dust storms occasionally. We do have more dust than the mid-west states, that's for sure.

Factoid:
Arizona has laws effecting construction companies, like home builders etc where they have to spray down or cover areas of loose dirt with straw etc to prevent kicking up dust as much as possible during construction.

·
Registered
492 Posts

Wait, Tell us what you have gleaned, learned or were informed about here and how will it effect, if at all, your oil purchases and oil change intervals in the future????? :grin2:

Just want to attempt to determine if Oil threads are a waste of time or not. :grin2:

EDIT ADD: For me it may have added approx 500 mi to my change interval, slight bump.

·
Registered
181 Posts

That is usually the case but we have a lot of folks in here who really know their stuff, you will get lots of really great advise. You just use what fits into your pocket book and style of riding.

Good luck.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Is "riding it like you stole it" considered "severe duty" conditions? if so, i may have to remove the 500 mi add to my interval. :laugh:

There's always the Smell, Color, Feel/Texture test!

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Wait, Tell us what you have gleaned, learned or were informed about here and how will it effect, if at all, your oil purchases and oil change intervals in the future????? :grin2:

Just want to attempt to determine if Oil threads are a waste of time or not. :grin2:

EDIT ADD: For me it may have added approx 500 mi to my change interval, slight bump.

Last 4 years I used Mobile1 oil and a KN filter. Prior to this I always used non-synthetic oil and a Fram filter. Yesterday I purchased Honda oil and filter, saved around $32.00. The only reason I liked the KN filter is because of the nut, and I never had a problem using non-synthetic oil. I was just getting irritated at the cost. I liked hearing what others had to say, thanks everyone.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Last 4 years I used Mobile1 oil and a KN filter. Prior to this I always used non-synthetic oil and a Fram filter. Yesterday I purchased Honda oil and filter, saved around $32.00. The only reason I liked the KN filter is because of the nut, and I never had a problem using non-synthetic oil. I was just getting irritated at the cost. I liked hearing what others had to say, thanks everyone.
You're gonna be fine with the Honda Oil/Filter. Yes, Honda does not Explore/Drill/Refine it's own oil, this should surprise nobody. I think it's a safe assumption that Honda does approve the specs for its brand of oil.

Ride safe, change your oil when needed, keep your nose clean and you'll be okay! :thumbup: :wink2:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
VTXOA members use different type of oils and filters. Do we know about engine problems or failures that caused by a specific oil or filter? Looks like really doesn't matter, what you use, if you change them when required and doesn't worth the wasted time to discuss it over and over...

·
Registered
108 Posts
That is true, however is gives us something to watch, enjoy and periodically throw comments at...... 😁

21 - 40 of 52 Posts