Honda VTX Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8,440 Posts
I LOVE OIL THREADS.

My money is on mobile1 this time. :thumbup:

Of course you can do whatever you want - this just gives us snow bound riders something to complain about. The HD train was slowing down, so this is next.

Wait for the darkside thread - those are my favorite. :lol:

·
Registered
733 Posts
I LOVE OIL THREADS.

My money is on mobile1 this time. :thumbup:

Of course you can do whatever you want - this just gives us snow bound riders something to complain about. The HD train was slowing down, so this is next.

Wait for the darkside thread - those are my favorite. :lol:
Don't forget to put concrete in your crash bars!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Walmart

Fram TG6607
Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic motor oil 10W-30 5 quart.

$6.82
$28.68
plus tax

once a year... 6,000 to 8,000 miles

and you end up with 1 quart for next year.
Has that oil ever made your clutch slip Chuck ? Mobil website says it's "Resource Conserving" ...aka energy conserving.

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
Has that oil ever made your clutch slip Chuck ? Mobil website says it's "Resource Conserving" ...aka energy conserving.

never had a problem... one is not the same as the other.
14 years in my VTX with Mobil 1.... 88,000 miles.
I changed out the factory oil at 1,000 miles... my choice.

·
Registered
308 Posts
i have tried many oils
Honda gn4
Honda gn4 gold (dont know if they make it anymore??)
golden spectro
yamalube
mobile 1
Valvoline 4 stroke oil
royal purple
amsoil
spent lots of money on expensive oil until i tried rotella..i was sold.
don't know about you guys but i base my oil quality on my shifting.
these vtx will tend to clunk more while shifting when the oil is breaking down.
they already clunk enough on its own..
at about 4000 miles you can tell the oil tends to break down and the shifting gets clunkier
its just what i have noticed over the years
rotella holds up better than any of them.
royal purple was the worst
just my opinion...

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/pro-honda-hp4-4-stroke-motor-oil-p

·
Registered
362 Posts
Speaking of new technology making oil better, old 2,cycle engines used to require 24:1. 36:1. 40:1, but now the same engines using new oil will live fine on a 50:1 mix.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Speaking of new technology making oil better, old 2,cycle engines used to require 24:1. 36:1. 40:1, but now the same engines using new oil will live fine on a 50:1 mix.
Is it just the oil or the engines and technology (like the engines don't really need break in) or enviromental requirements?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I use valvoline synthetic 4t motorcycle oil from Walmart .It comes in 10w30 and 20w50. about 8.00 a quart , sometimes 7.00 on line. Walmart will ship it to you free if order is 35.00 or more .Wix oil filter from orielies
auto parts about 8.00 . about 45.00 total . change every year about 7k miles . I had trouble in decades past using car oil in Honda motorcycles, clutch plates would start slipping . Its 14 degrees here in ky this morning . my x is sad . eo

·
Registered
680 Posts
Is it just the oil or the engines and technology (like the engines don't really need break in) or enviromental requirements?
Its the synthetic 2 stroke oil . ...... There are two classes of 2 stroke power equipment . one top rpm is about 5-6 k , (poulin and the cheep stuff)the other top rpm is about 12k rpm (stihl, husqvarna ,echo ) . if you use oil made for the 5k rpm class of engines in the 12k rpm class of engines it usually isn't going to lube properly . if you use stihl ,echo , husqvarna oil and mix it according to the bottle you can safely run it in any 2 stroke engine . so to answer your question , its the new synthetic oil .

·
Registered
362 Posts
. Not sure, but the old engines haven't changed, and now you can use new oil in a 50:1 ratio and the engine is ok.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts