Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am now using synthetic oil, specifically for V Twins, and have been for a while. I got lazy and went a while without checking the oil level. When I checked it, it was barely showing on the bottom of the dipstick. The bike has about 14,000 miles with about 6,000 miles on this oil change. My question is this. Does a bike with synthetic oil usually use more oil than one with conventional oil? I am aware that due to my negligence, I may have done some permanent damage to the cylinder walls which will result in increase consumption with either type of oil. But hopefully the damage is minimal. I'll be checking regularly from now on.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I doubt you did any damage unless you were spending a lot of time with the engine wound tight. Say doing 90 - 100 mph for miles at at time. Sounds like you were a quart or 1 1/2 quarts low. Not a huge issue.

I know my wife's car starting burning more oil when we switched to synthetic. I think it's common for that to happen. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in :)

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
This is not the first time I have heard of a vehicle with increased oil consumption after switching to synthetic.

I've read threads about it happening on Jeep forums I belong to.

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
it has nothing to do with synthetic oil, its the brand of oil, synthetic or otherwise.

I know that Penzoil synthetic is real bad at BURN OFF. my wife's car. using Amsoil or Mobil 1 the car uses ZERO oil between oil changes but on Penzoil it will use 2 quarts.

as far as engine damage, I do not think there is any from low oil, as oil was on the stick. LOW YES, very low YES.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm not sure synthetic causes more oil burn since I have never experienced it myself. I have experienced a increased oil burn switching brands both with dino and synthetic oils.I believe it is a issue with oil quality not synthetic vs dino.Cheap oil is just that I have bought off brand oil and experienced increased burn but never when switching between premium oils.Just my opinion based on experience not scientific data I am not a scientist nor mechanic .

·
Registered
9,792 Posts
I forgot to add,
As long as the OIL LIGHT DID NOT come ON. you never lost oil pressure. the oil has to be below the oil pickup for the pump not to have oil to pump. and if the pump was picking up AIR with the oil, the light would have turned ON.

·
Old Goat
25,496 Posts
36k on amsoil no burn....good luck...

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
I have no issues with Burn off as was stated earlier , I do Use a premium in my opinion Syntetic I have tons of Miles on Amsoil in all my Vehicles

·
Registered
624 Posts
Join the Club!! I ran AMSOIL in my 1800 from 600 miles to 40,000 miles, changing it every 8000 miles. I was CONSTANTLY TOPPING off the oil about every 1200 miles! It was driving me crazy. Many times there was no indication of oil on the dipstick at all. I was told that I switched to synthetic too soon after the bike was new and the rings never seated. I was then told that was a "bunch of bull" that synthetic would not prevent seating. I switched to Havoline conventional motorcycle oil 5000 miles ago and have not lost one drop since on the dipstick! I really want to believe in AMSOIL, particularly since I have an unopened case in my garage and that stuff is not cheap! I plan on running conventional for at least 12,000 miles, (3 changes) before I give AMSOIL another chance. Hopefully by then I will have seated the rings. We'll see.

·
Super Moderator
63,885 Posts
Doug, if that was true there would be thousands and thousands of cars and motorcycles that would burn oil because many vehicles come with full synthetics from their respective factories. Including my Screaming Beagle 110 cu/in Ultra and that never burned a drop of either HD oil or AMSOIL. You can also find threads here of owners that used only natural oils and they lost oil levels too. So it happens with and without full synthetics

Why does this happen to some engines and not others?? Same question can be posed about left side tire wear, you just don't know. I know I've run AMSOIL in everything since about 2001 and I have yet to lose and oil in any engine from VTX to Harley to Toyota to BMW to Nissan to Ford and John Deer.

So to answer the original question, No. There is no truth to synthetics burning off in all cases.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Doug, if that was true there would be thousands and thousands of cars and motorcycles that would burn oil because many vehicles come with full synthetics from their respective factories. Including my Screaming Beagle 110 cu/in Ultra and that never burned a drop of either HD oil or AMSOIL. You can also find threads here of owners that used only natural oils and they lost oil levels too. So it happens with and without full synthetics

Why does this happen to some engines and not others?? Same question can be posed about left side tire wear, you just don't know. I know I've run AMSOIL in everything since about 2001 and I have yet to lose and oil in any engine from VTX to Harley to Toyota to BMW to Nissan to Ford and John Deer.

So to answer the original question, No. There is no truth to synthetics burning off in all cases.
Like I said in my thread, I have no doubt of the superiority of AMSOIL and all its many benefits. I do plan on going back to it after this current oil I now have in the bike. I just know from experience my 1800 is not using any conventional oil where it was using synthetic at a very rapid pace. Maybe it's just my engine:dontknow:. As soon as I switch back to AMSOIL I will post how it is working out this time around.

·
Registered
707 Posts
New rings are seated within about 50 miles or so. So when people sell a vehicle with a few thousand miles and state "barely broken in" that's BS. A lot of cars these days come brand new with synthetic.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've been told that synthetic oil seeps into seals and can therefore leak out slowly over time. Conventional does not seep into seals and therefore won't leak out. Again, this is what I've heard. Some day if you're using oil you can either swap to a heavier weight synthetic or go back to conventional. :dontknow: I ran Mobil 1 synthetic and by the end of a 5000 run on my Kawi it needed a little to top it off, maybe 1/8 of a quart...maybe. I've been using Rotella the last two changes on that bike, which I don't like (clunky shifts), so we'll see how the AMSOIL works out. I don't remember it going away before (used it for two changes a few years ago).

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
I am now using synthetic oil, specifically for V Twins, and have been for a while. I got lazy and went a while without checking the oil level. When I checked it, it was barely showing on the bottom of the dipstick. The bike has about 14,000 miles with about 6,000 miles on this oil change. My question is this. Does a bike with synthetic oil usually use more oil than one with conventional oil? I am aware that due to my negligence, I may have done some permanent damage to the cylinder walls which will result in increase consumption with either type of oil. But hopefully the damage is minimal. I'll be checking regularly from now on.
Are you checking your oil as per the book. Let it run for a few minutes, shut it down, let it sit a few minutes, then check it in the vertical position? Also how sure are you it was filled correctly. Techs will over and under fill. I change my own.

I switched to full synthetic oil (Honda HP4S) in my VTX at 5,000 miles. I will start using Mobil 1 as it comes in 10-40 but Honda is only 10-30. I am a bit obsessive and change oil/filter every 5,000 miles. I know with synthetic I could go longer with maybe a filter change but this has worked very well on my cars. Mine has never used oil during the 4 1/2 years and 60,000 miles which includes a lot of 70+ mph, hours on end. I have also ran it in my cars and have over 200,000 on two of them. One I switched at over 30,000 miles. No oil useage until close to the 200K mark. Synthetic is suppose to extend the life of the seals. No leaks in the cars either.

I have read and a BMW dealership owner/tech told me the RT1200R will use oil (Dino) for a while until broken in after which time it is OK to switch to full synthetic. FYI they have a dry clutch. I know for a fact the new BMW K1600 (wet clutch) comes from the factory with synthetic and uses oil, a lot at times, for awhile. BMW says that is normal until break in. My buddy's finally stopped around 10K. I have heard of some at 20K.

Mobil 1 has two types of synthetic for motorcycles. The one for V Twins is mainly for air cooled and sump seperate from Transmission. I don't believe it meets the oil standard set by Honda, JASO MA, as it is not made for a wet clutch (no moly) eventhough some of their info says otherwise. I could not find the JASO MA on the V-Twin bottle but I did on the Racing 4T. Go to their site and look at the "Product Data Sheet" at the bottom of their Motorcycle Oil section and click. There are no x marks for JASO MA under the V-Twin oil but there is under the Racing 4T. That is why I would not run the Mobil One V-Twin oil in my X. My understanding is any oil is OK if it meets the JASO MA standard.

As someone above stated, some oils burn off more than others. If oil was on that short dip stick I also am sure nothing was hurt. I wouldn't continue that way.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have never "Used" any oil in my VTX, so I can't answer that question. (Meaning it has never been down or needed added oil between changes).

·
Registered
2,174 Posts

My BMW roadster came from the factory with synthetic oil. 32,000 miles on it in 6 years and no oil burning.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I have never "Used" any oil in my VTX, so I can't answer that question. (Meaning it has never been down or needed added oil between changes).
This has been my experiance also... running full synthetic

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
This has been my experiance also... running full synthetic
You and Santa (KW7DSP) got some magical engines there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't think he is asking if synthetic oil will cause a bike to use oil. I believe he is asking will synthetic oil burn at a higher rate in an engine that for some reason already burns oil. This is by no means scientific, but I had a similar theory. When a buddy of mine changed his oil on a 400ex atv that already smoked quite a bit he went from using GN4 to HP4 one time because I had some laying around and the bike appeared to smoke worse the next time we took it out. And I had a similar experience when I was out riding and topped of a Polaris Predator that was using oil, with synthetic, it appeared to increase the smoke for the rest of the day. Smelled worse too. Is it possible that synthetic gets past worn rings and valve seals better than dino oil?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts