Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 03 1800 retro and changed oil with amsoil at 25000. I have put 2200 miles on it since oil change and have had to add half qt 2weeks ago and now it is down again. I made sure it was full after change. What would be causing this. I do ride hard 5 to 10mph over speed limit tho don't spin tire very often. TIA Syco

·
Registered
16,088 Posts
I would check your plugs for signs of excessive oil usage. It will show up as heavy wet deposits on your plugs. Also, what does the inside of your tail pipe look like??? I've yet to hear of this much oil usage. Although anything is possible. Another curious question, do you have the stock air cleaner??? The reason I ask is a bike I recently serviced was getting dirt into the intake system. This will cause accelerated wear in the cylinder and excessive oil usage. I would suggest you also look at the intake system for this. just a few ideas :wink:

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
Also look for weepage around the oil filter. If a leak there it may be loose or double gasketed. VERY dangerous. Could blow oil on rear tire and cause some 'issues'. Hope whatever it is, is an easy fix for you.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
You must make sure you are checking the oil in the exact same way and condition each time. A slight variance in the grade the bike is parked on or even the steering angle can affect the reading on the dipstick. Temperature to, oil expands and contracts considerably with temp change. Now, if all that is consistent and you really are losing oil then there are 3 possibilities: 1. External leakage, should be easy to find. 2. Oil passing the piston rings and getting into the combustion chamber. As Jonsvtx said, check your spark plugs and your exhaust pipe. An engine that is burning oil will have a "wet" exhaust and black sooty plugs. 3. Oil getting past the valve stem seals to the combustion chamber. A gasoline engine produces high vacuum in the cylinder on the intake stroke, if the valve stem seals are shot or if the clearance between the valve stem and the valve guide is to great the high vacuum will pull oil from the valve cover area down into the combustion chamber. Oil coming in from the valve guides will be visible as blue smoke from the exhaust on hard deceleration when the throttle is snapped shut and cylider vacuum rapidly increases.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I switched to synth in my Valkyrie at my first oil change, and it burned about 3/4 quart between changes. I went back to dino and it doesn't burn a drop...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts