Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just took my air filter out to take a looksie and clean it if at all possible and I found some oil almost pooled up in the bottom of the filter box.:banghead: Also the filter was pretty oily to the touch. Is this bad?:dontknow: How do I fix the problem?:tools: What is the best way to clean an oily air filter? Or is it junk now??

Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I've noticed a little oil in mine too. Don't really know why, but it always looks worse after I've washed the bike (oil water mix). I just wipe it out and keep riding.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Hey guys, I just took my air filter out to take a looksie and clean it if at all possible and I found some oil almost pooled up in the bottom of the filter box.:banghead: Also the filter was pretty oily to the touch. Is this bad?:dontknow: How do I fix the problem?:tools: What is the best way to clean an oily air filter? Or is it junk now??

Thanks for the help...
The crankcase vents to the airbox, so a little pooled up/foamy oil is normal. No worries. If you feel that the filter is too dirty, don't bother with trying to clean it. Just replace it if you're worried about it. Good luck.

·
Registered
547 Posts
lucky chris

Your scoot is NOT ugly.

hyperlitew3

I've read a few posts like yours from time to time and the consensus is just what the others have written. Wouldn't worry about it. Ride on:doorag:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I Did just wash after I got back from Glacier on Sunday.I hope that's the case. Just wondering if it's spitting oil out the intake for some reason and if it's something to worry about I guess?:dontknow:Again haha

·
Super Moderator
64,002 Posts
It's normal and nothing is wrong. The crankcase vent hose runs into the airbox and when water or condensation builds up inside the engine, when the engine gets hot enough, it turns that water to steam and it vents out the hose and takes some oil with it. This is a preventative maintenance item and should be cleaned out at least once a year. More if you live in the northern climes and ride in cool weather

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
GLAICER!!!

1. How was it?

2. Any fires going on? (Always is when I'm there)

3. Very crowded?

4. Camp sites available without reservations?

Three good answers... and I'm outta here!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GLAICER!!!

1. How was it?
Beautiful!!!
Didn't see one puff of smoke anywhere.. I live in CDA Idaho now and none between here and there!!
3. Very crowded?
Not horrible.. was just there in the morning for a ride to the top and back down but when we got to the West Glaicer entrance around 1pm in the way out there was quite a line of cars waiting to get in.
No idea... sorry
To me there is 3 good answers.... have a good one!

·
Super Moderator
64,002 Posts
GLAICER!!!

1. How was it?

3. Very crowded?

2 of the last 3 times I was there the Sun Road was closed at the top from snow. This was in mid to late June though. Pretty place though, I will be back with my wife and son in the following years :thumbup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2 of the last 3 times I was there the Sun Road was closed at the top from snow. This was in mid to late June though. Pretty place though, I will be back with my wife and son in the following years :thumbup:
Don't quote me but I think the road usually opens around the last week of June. Still lots of snow up there though. The road is clear as can be but a little construction near the top that will make you stop for a little while. (they say up to half hour, but it was only 10 min for me. Nice to just sit and enjoy the view for a bit.)

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Thanks!! ROAD TRIP!!

·
Registered
4,037 Posts

Thanks for the help...
The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilator) hose is attached to the intake to burn the fumes vented by the engine. Oil comes along with the fumes. If you have the stock air box, there should be a clear tube under the air box to catch some of the oil. Drain the tube and wipe out the throttle with a dry cloth. If it has a paper filter, replace it.

·
Registered
337 Posts
After I did the pair valve a couple years ago on my 06 S. I plugged up the airbox for the Crankcase breather hose,and routed my hose to the rear of the bike. My YZ450F (dirt) breather is routed external from the factory.

I have the breather hose running down the front left frame tube,then to the back near the coolant resevoir. I just had to buy a plastic connector and more hose from the auto shop. Not a big fan of the crankcase venting into the airbox,this is a much cleaner set up.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
After I did the pair valve a couple years ago on my 06 S. I plugged up the airbox for the Crankcase breather hose,and routed my hose to the rear of the bike. My YZ450F (dirt) breather is routed external from the factory.

I have the breather hose running down the front left frame tube,then to the back near the coolant resevoir. I just had to buy a plastic connector and more hose from the auto shop. Not a big fan of the crankcase venting into the airbox,this is a much cleaner set up.
It is messy, but you're throwing oil on your rear tire?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I would be only throwing oil on my rear wheel if I over filled the sump.The vapors are so miniscule:roll: when breathing in the open that residue is nonexistent.I also have the end of the hose routed not even in line with the rear.The oil that is left in the airbox from factory set up is build up from overtime,not just one ride.My set up, condensation and vapors from the oil can be released out freely rather than build up inside the airbox.I rather have my intake free from condensation and constant oil vapors, also slight oil build up .The cleaner the combustion chamber mixes fuel and air the better.

·
Super Moderator
64,002 Posts
I would be only throwing oil on my rear wheel if I over filled the sump.The vapors are so miniscule:roll: when breathing in the open that residue is nonexistent.I also have the end of the hose routed not even in line with the rear.The oil that is left in the airbox from factory set up is build up from overtime,not just one ride.My set up, condensation and vapors from the oil can be released out freely rather than build up inside the airbox.I rather have my intake free from condensation and constant oil vapors, also slight oil build up .The cleaner the combustion chamber mixes fuel and air the better.
:agree: All that oil&water crud doesn't come out all at once. When people find this stuff it is usually the first time they hear of the crankcase vent and they have never checked it or the catch tube before. It will take a good year of riding and a lot of cold weather riding to build up that much crud in the airbox. Just having it vent out by the wheel will only put a drop of oil out a week or maybe month.

·
Registered
337 Posts
:agree: All that oil&water crud doesn't come out all at once. When people find this stuff it is usually the first time they hear of the crankcase vent and they have never checked it or the catch tube before. It will take a good year of riding and a lot of cold weather riding to build up that much crud in the airbox. Just having it vent out by the wheel will only put a drop of oil out a week or maybe month.

Good back up!:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,252 Posts
Just check the clear tube that hangs down beside the Idle adj by the lower right side of the carb and now and then depending on climate. Just pull the cap off and drain it.

Donut

1 - 20 of 22 Posts