Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small oil leak. I cant see exactly where it is comming from, but a few drops collect on the top of the top rear fin of the left rear jug - this is right above the ignition key. I dont know if this could be a head gasket or not? It is strange, because it takes a while for it to form. For example, I road for 7 hours on the Fourth of July. No leakage. I parked the bike in my garage and watched it. I did not see any oil until a few days later. I know that this is not a lot of information, but any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
64,344 Posts
Did you have your valve specs checked recently? Sometimes the inspection cover will leak if not put on tight after a valve check

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I changed the oil a couple of months ago and I did the ground fix a year and a half ago. Other than that - nothing has been done to the bike.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I'd lay odds that it is the rocker box cover...there is no gasket between the cylinder head and the rocker box, just a light coat silicone sealer. Just fixed mine. There is enough room to remove the bolts holding the rocker box to the head, lift it up from the head a little, clean the mating surfaces and lay a bead of silicone gasket material on the surfaces and then bolt it back down. When taking out the rocker box bolts be aware that there are bolts that hold it down under the valve adjustment access plates that have to come out too.

·
3,915 Posts
I think a Harley owner is sneaking into your garage and putting those oil drops there to freak you out. Who do ya' know...? :shock: :twisted:

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Loner said:
I'd lay odds that it is the rocker box cover...there is no gasket between the cylinder head and the rocker box, just a light coat silicone sealer. Just fixed mine. There is enough room to remove the bolts holding the rocker box to the head, lift it up from the head a little, clean the mating surfaces and lay a bead of silicone gasket material on the surfaces and then bolt it back down. When taking out the rocker box bolts be aware that there are bolts that hold it down under the valve adjustment access plates that have to come out too.
BINGO!!!!!!

G

·
I just had the same problem as well. Same exact thing you're talking about bw. Removed the valve adjustment cover and re-sealed, didn't fix the problem. Looks like oil is indeed seeping out of the mating surface between the cylinder head and the cylinder head cover.

Service manual says you have to remove the engine to work on that part but I'd rather not. Loner, if it's possible to lift off the rocker box cover w/out removing the engine to put some extra honda bond on there, then i'll do that, b/c i'd rather not shell out major $$$ for the stealership to do it. Have you done this before? Is it fairly do-able?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the same thing with only 1500 miles on my 1800R. Is this considered a warrenty item ? The leak is very minor, not even really a leak, just some moisture around the seams(front and back) and It had a drop or 2 on the fins.

Should I even worry about it ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.