Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been changing the oil in my cars for years, but never in a bike. With all the good tips and info on this site, I knew I wouldn't have a problem. So I rode around the block twice to warm up the fluids, then drove up on 2x4's to get the jack under the frame, jacked up bike, added another 2x4 under both front and rear wheels (as per Bare's site), then put the equivalent of 3 2x4's under sidestand. This was done under a carport on level concrete. I drained the crankcase first, both front and rear plugs pulled, filter removed, and dipstick removed. Inspected bolts and washers, and reinstalled after both drains were dripping about one drop every 10 seconds...in other words I got out all the old dino oil that I could. Using a funnel, I filled the crankcase with Shell Rotella T synthetic 5W-40 out of a gallon container. I know that with filter change, it should take about 3.9 quarts. I estimate putting between 3 and 3.5 quarts into crankcase (judging by how much was still in the gallon container), then started and ran the engine for about 2 minutes to get the filter full. I then killed the engine, and let it settle for few minutes, and using the dipstick (sitting on threads, but not screwed in), my oil level was the distance between the tick marks ABOVE the upper tick mark! I thought I had left it a little shy of 3.9 quarts intentionally, so I could get the filter filled, then add some and check until it was right. With the oil level that high above the upper tick mark, do I need to crack open a drain and let some out until between the tick marks?

Now on to the rear end. Bike was still up on 2x4's and warm. I removed the rear diff drain and fill plugs, and let it drain for almost 20 minutes...old oil barely weeping out. Then after cleaning/replaceing drain plug, I used Bare's method of a large syringe I picked up...60cc's per stroke, and put Valvoline synthetic gear oil 75-90 into diff. I estimate only getting between 80 and 100cc's ( supposed to be 120) when the new oil was starting to weep out. I can only assume, that my measurements were off somehow, because when the oil comes out the fill plug, that's all you're going to get in there. Should I leave it as is, or get the bike off the sidestand and more vertical and add a little more? :oops:
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Bo Bo said:
I've been changing the oil in my cars for years, but never in a bike. With all the good tips and info on this site, I knew I wouldn't have a problem. So I rode around the block twice to warm up the fluids, then drove up on 2x4's to get the jack under the frame, jacked up bike, added another 2x4 under both front and rear wheels (as per Bare's site), then put the equivalent of 3 2x4's under sidestand. This was done under a carport on level concrete. I drained the crankcase first, both front and rear plugs pulled, filter removed, and dipstick removed. Inspected bolts and washers, and reinstalled after both drains were dripping about one drop every 10 seconds...in other words I got out all the old dino oil that I could. Using a funnel, I filled the crankcase with Shell Rotella T synthetic 5W-40 out of a gallon container. I know that with filter change, it should take about 3.9 quarts. I estimate putting between 3 and 3.5 quarts into crankcase (judging by how much was still in the gallon container), then started and ran the engine for about 2 minutes to get the filter full. I then killed the engine, and let it settle for few minutes, and using the dipstick (sitting on threads, but not screwed in), my oil level was the distance between the tick marks ABOVE the upper tick mark! I thought I had left it a little shy of 3.9 quarts intentionally, so I could get the filter filled, then add some and check until it was right. With the oil level that high above the upper tick mark, do I need to crack open a drain and let some out until between the tick marks?

Now on to the rear end. Bike was still up on 2x4's and warm. I removed the rear diff drain and fill plugs, and let it drain for almost 20 minutes...old oil barely weeping out. Then after cleaning/replaceing drain plug, I used Bare's method of a large syringe I picked up...60cc's per stroke, and put Valvoline synthetic gear oil 75-90 into diff. I estimate only getting between 80 and 100cc's ( supposed to be 120) when the new oil was starting to weep out. I can only assume, that my measurements were off somehow, because when the oil comes out the fill plug, that's all you're going to get in there. Should I leave it as is, or get the bike off the sidestand and more vertical and add a little more? :oops:
Thanks!
For the overfilled crankcase you can use your syringe with a length of rubber tubing slipped onto the end and draw out the extra oil from the dipstick port til it is between the tick marks. The fastest way of course is to open a drain plug!

Per the manual filling the final drive hub should be done on level ground and the bike set on it's side stand. As you stated any extra gear oil will flow out of the filler port. Put the plug in and go for a ride!! Upon your return check your fluid levels again if the wind has not blown your worries away!

Hope this helps.

B.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Being over filled that small amount won't hurt the engine in any way. If you filled the drive on the sidestand and its running out the filler hole put the plug in and don't worry about it. My guess would be that the bike was tilted toward the rear so you didn't get all the oil out. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Did you re-check the diff oil after taking it around the block?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jerp said:
No sir, after (what I thought) leaving it supposedly a little short of oil, I just started the bike in the driveway, and did a combination of idle and using the throttle, a little fast idle for about 2 minutes to get the new filter full of oil. This has worked well for me with my cars. Am I right in the 3.9 quarts with a new filter? From what I have left in the gallon container, I know it's nowhere near that, but it really bothers me having the level over the top tick mark. I don't want the oil pressure to be so high, that it starts adversely affecting seals, etc. After the approx. two minute run, I can't see where riding the bike around for awhile will make the level go down...am I missing something here? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Bo Bo , If your uncomfortable with a little overfill drain some out but I can assure you it a waste of time ,you have nothing to worry about .

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I hope you're right. I used a Purolatr Pure One filter, and was slightly larger than the stock filter, but I think that's a good thing. :wink:

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jerp said:
Oh, my bag, I didn't notice you were referring to the diff oil after a ride...I'll try that tomorrow. Sorry I wasn't paying attention. :oops:

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Bo Bo, The engine is vented so it cannot build pressure in the base. We have had people post here that the engine was over filled by one quart with no ill effects. When I change oil I pour 4 qt.s into the engine and drive it. Its always over about like yours. Don't worry its fine.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
silvervtx04s said:
Bo Bo, The engine is vented so it cannot build pressure in the base. We have had people post here that the engine was over filled by one quart with no ill effects. When I change oil I pour 4 qt.s into the engine and drive it. Its always over about like yours. Don't worry its fine.
Thank you sir! I will sleep better tonight...and I'm not being facetious. I know that I drained the old oil pretty darn well, and I know that I didn't put a full gallon back into the crankcase, so logic tells me that I was pretty close, but seeing the level on the dipstick just drove me crazy! :oops: :wink:

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Did you check your oil level with the bike standing straight up?

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
See my response in this thread:

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=65541

Did you check how much oil you took out? I don't pay much attention to the dipstick, a slight variation in lean angle to one side or the other or if your driveway has a front to back lean your stick can read way off.

I just drain and fill, done lots of them - results are always good. :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
I just changed my oil and had the same trouble with the oil level. My engine now ticks on and off. I put a fram oil filter on, maybe I should change it to a Honda filter ? The tick has got me worried !!

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ah haaaa! Now I finally got it!

When I put the bike upright today (sidestand on a 6x6), the oil level was just touching the bottom of the stick. Pulled out the funnel, added about 1/2 quart, and voila...just touching the upper mark! I also had about the right amount left in the gallon container that I was supposed too.

I knew it didn't seem right to check with the dipstick on the port side, and the bike leaning to port, as well. :oops:

While I had it upright, I also checked the rear diff fluid, and got in about 25cc more 75-90 syn gear oil before it started weeping back out. Buttoned everything up, and rewarded myself with a short ride. Thanks for all the help! I guess it's sometimes hard to ignore the obvious. :p 8)

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think I read somewhere that Biglry said that what he did was after making sure the oil level was at the right level in the upright position, he then put the bike back on the side stand and checked where the oil read at on the dipstick then filed a small groove in the dipstick to mark where the oil would read while on the sidestand so he didn't have to make sure the bike was level to check the oil, I thought it was a good idea :wink:

x2c

·
Registered
679 Posts
Bo Bo said:
Ah haaaa! Now I finally got it!

When I put the bike upright today (sidestand on a 6x6), the oil level was just touching the bottom of the stick. Pulled out the funnel, added about 1/2 quart, and voila...just touching the upper mark! I also had about the right amount left in the gallon container that I was supposed too.

I knew it didn't seem right to check with the dipstick on the port side, and the bike leaning to port, as well. :oops:

While I had it upright, I also checked the rear diff fluid, and got in about 25cc more 75-90 syn gear oil before it started weeping back out. Buttoned everything up, and rewarded myself with a short ride. Thanks for all the help! I guess it's sometimes hard to ignore the obvious. :p 8)
I am glad that you got the engine oil thing resolved.

Now, just to make things more complicated, I think the differential fluid is topped off while on the sidestand. Easy enough to fix. While resting on a level area on the sidestand, just pull the fill plug and catch that extra gear oil with a rag.

8)

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are both absolutely correct, and I'd been thinking about making a mark on the dipstick where the fluid level is while on the sidestand...good idea. :wink: 8)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts