Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first ride of the year ended badly. 20 miles out, I started losing oil. Within 1/2 mile,oil was gushing out the bottom, so I shut the bike down. Within 2 hours the Honda Riders Club had sent out a tow truck to pick up the bike and deliver it to a dealer. No response back as to what the problem was, but I suspect that something wasn't tightened when the dealer did the oil change and the 600 mile valve adjustment late last fall.
Have I damaged the engine? I don't know. It may be a good idea to double check that filters and drain plugs are tight (even if it was a dealer doing the work)

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Bummmer, dude. Hope nothing was damaged for permanently. That sux! :(

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
When the dealer had the tank off he may have pinched the crankcase breather hose & it could have built pressure and blew the o-ring around the shifter. Not major,pretty commom............... :D Rod

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
samuel J M said:
Have I damaged the engine? I don't know. It may be a good idea to double check that filters and drain plugs are tight (even if it was a dealer doing the work)
Nah - I wouldn't worry too much about it. Someone posted recently that Honda claims the X will run fine on a quart of oil. Dont know if its true, but these engines are pretty tough. Probably a pinched breather as Rod said - entirely the dealers fault. Don't let them charge you anything.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
I do this every time I get my X back from the stealer
If the oil leak is at the shaft of the shifter.
Then pressure has built up in the crank case and blown the seal out.
If so you will have to put it back in.
So you can get some sleep, do this check
The hose may be pinched behind the air box.
Take the air cleaner cover off.
Take the dipstick out and lay a 3x3 single layer of tissue paper over the opening.
Take a common drinking straw and hold it over the smaller hole in the airbox (the one that sticks out) And give it a puff of air. If it blows the tissue off, you’re OK. If not, the hose is pinched behind the airbox.

Doug, Coloma, MI. (Donut)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oil leak response

Thanks to all of you for sending some very helpful ideas on what might cause an acute oil loss while under way. This has to be the best bunch of people and the best board on the internet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts