Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here has figures of oil analysis on a VTX 1300?

Had the oil I dumped at 3000 miles analysed. Trying to establish a progression line. Estimated engine time - 100 hrs. Estimated oil 80 hours (2400 miles). Oil was Honda GN and looked very black after only 1000 miles.

Here is the analysis - all at ppm

Lead 3
Chromium 3
Magnesium 34
Tin 0
Silicon 14
Iron 42
Aluminum 23
Copper 11
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Nickel 0
Calcium 300+
Sodium 9
Zinc 300+

Of course all these numbers will mean much more on the second and third analysis at future oil changes.

If anyone out there has numbers, kindly advise.

Jeffrey

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
What does this analysis tell you? Art degree... no understandy chemistry :shock:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These are metals that are shed by the engine as it wears. The numbers are generally meaningless until I will have three or four more tests.

Obviously, if there was a lot of aluminum and magnezium the pistons are shedding excessivley. All these numbers appear normal. Future test will provide a trend line. The lab keeps records of all engines tested. They usually test aircraft engines and fleet vehicle engines. This is the first VTX they have tested. That is why I was wondering if anyone else has data.

Jeffrey

·
Registered
93 Posts
It would help to have a baseline from fresh oil to see what the counts were to begin with.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
How about the rest of the info..?? viscosity , flash point , fuel , insolubles , TBN ? and what filter did you use? How many miles on the engine?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great idea to have fresh oil tested. Shoulda thought of it myself and will do it. However, none of the metals will be present. The issue will be any sodium or calcium which are products of combustion.

The engine had 3000 miles on it, 2200 on this batch of oil (Honda GN4). Reason for analysis was - oil turned black after 1000 miles. Engine never overheated.

JJ

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
How about the rest of the info..?? viscosity , flash point , fuel , insolubles , TBN ? and what filter did you use?

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Jeffrey said:
Great idea to have fresh oil tested. Shoulda thought of it myself and will do it. However, none of the metals will be present. The issue will be any sodium or calcium which are products of combustion.

The engine had 3000 miles on it, 2200 on this batch of oil (Honda GN4). Reason for analysis was - oil turned black after 1000 miles. Engine never overheated.

JJ
Read from here about sodium and calcium .

http://lube-power.com/oilanalyzer.html

http://www.smartsynthetics.com/articles ... itives.htm

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Hmm, dont see any plastic listed? must be better plastic than i thought.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts