Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
back in 2005-2006 when I got my VTX, someone had recommended this replacement dipstick that has a thermometer on it to monitor the oil temp.

bike sat for a long them and apparently the unit froze. I couldn't recall the brand or name, but after hours of scouring google I found it.

if anyone is interested this is it:

Tel-Tru - KIT DK200 for Honda Valkyrie, includes 1-3/4" dial GT200, adapter, and o-rings (teltruhome.com)

threads into the OEM dipstick location, doubles as a dipstick and thermometer.

if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I guess it's nice to know what the OT is. Coolant temp is a better monitor/indicator of engine status.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I agree, OT readings on a liquid-cooled engine do not bear much informational value. They are much more useful on an air-cooled bike.
Heck, I bought a nice $20 "BBQ" thermometer and put it in the oil line on my Harley. Read nicely, no complaints. Did not need to pay $77 (plus shipping). LOL

·
Super Moderator
64,114 Posts
Your engine is water cooled so an oil temp reading will be related to the water temp. Much better would be a coolant temp monitor for the VTX. If you have a Harley or Victory, then yeah, getting an oil temp dipstick would be a great addition

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
If I had that gauge, I'd be looking at it too often and would run off the road. However, I think it's good to know, water temp, oil temp, speed, RPM, voltage, amperage, air temp, wind direction, relative humidity, dew point, compass heading, and longitude/latitude.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
I bought one of these mostly to dress up the bike, since I have full confidence I don't need to worry about the oil temp as long as oil and water levels are maintained. It's overkill for a water cooled bike, but it sure looks 'purdy' compared to the stock black screw cap.

Reactions: Mr. Incredible
1 - 10 of 10 Posts