Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BURNING (no pun intended)..question..USE..5W40..ROTELLA?...T6...SYNTHETIC...or CARQUEST 10w40 SYNTHETIC.?...OR........looking for recommendations....being in fla now...gets kinda hot..lol..also how many qts?4..yes i know ROTELLA comes in gal..:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
I was at a gathering of VTX riders over last weekend in W. Va., and it was mentioned Rotella isn't the same as it was, does anyone else have some insight into this change? Many have sworn by Rotella on this and other forums for years.

·
Old Goat
24,071 Posts
Obviously Memphis aint Fla.....but Ive ridden in some scorchers....my bike has always performed flawless on Mobil 1....good luck on your choice...

·
Registered
187 Posts
As always, oil tends to be a very sensitive and personal topic no matter what form you go on.
based on my own anecdotal experience and different oils I have tried, I am very happy with motul 7100 full synthetic.
it is a more pricey option than most other lubricants, but you will feel your bike running much cooler and more responsive.

·
Registered
8,848 Posts
owners manual... really....... down load one from here...

or purchase one from any Honda dealer

or get a used one from e-bay...

REALLY..

while you are at it... service manuals to down load here also...

search does work...

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
From Page 62 of the owners manual;

Page62.jpg

Don't over think it. 5W-40 Synth, 10W-40 dino, or 15W-40 dino is all good in these water cooled bikes. The manual makes no recommendation for or against synthetic, so that is user preference. As my bike is air cooled, I prefer full synthetic, but that is MY preference. Many use 15W40 Rotella T4 and swear by it. It's good oil for these bikes.

Whatever you use it should not have an energy conserving label on it, and preferably be JASO-MA rated for a wet clutch (Rotella is), although many here have used automotive non JASO-MA rated non-energy conserving oil and have been fine. Again, don't overthink it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
NICE IF I HAD OWNERS MANUAL....LOL.and if i did,im sure it wont say synthetic oil.

I have used AMSOIL synthetic 10W - 40 Metric in my 2002 VTX 1800R for years with no problem with 82,500 miles on it to date. No problem with clutch slippage at all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
as always, oil tends to be a very sensitive and personal topic no matter what form you go on.
Based on my own anecdotal experience and different oils i have tried, i am very happy with motul 7100 full synthetic.
It is a more pricey option than most other lubricants, but you will feel your bike running much cooler and more responsive.

lol.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Not to mention thicker, more manageable hair, whiter teeth, and better performance in the bedroom!!
Some lubes are just like magic. :thumbup: Is there anything they can't make better?
LOL ... these days I'm more concerned with performance in the bathroom than performance in the bedroom ... :laugh:
The bedroom has never been a problem:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I ride in Texas were it actually gets hot. Been using Mobile 1 10-40 for over 12 years and 150,000 miles with no problem. I change my oil about every 8,000 miles.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Lol, Chuck you are so sensitive. Right there with ya brother.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts