Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a believer myself, but, I see it asked a lot "where to get a CT mounted?"

So. how about those of you who are in the know post where you had it done.
State, Location, Shop

List compiled to make it easier for others.

SoCal Customs
7839 North Ave
Lemon Grove, CA 91945
(619) 462-8238
Disclaimer : When I talked to them both said they would , I havent actually used either yet.

Cycle Gear Store #74
6343 Summer Avenue
Memphis, TN 38134
(901) 371-9692

motorcyclemadness
2740 Whitten Rd
Bartlett, TN 38133
(901) 386-4466

A1 Tire, Brake and Muffler
Hwy 311
Houma La. 70360
985-851-6779
"Double "R" cycles in Leechburg,PA. They also balance with dynabeads. Cost just a little over $30.00 I had to sign a waiver, but, they did it. :thumbup:
Powersports, Lynnwood WA
Take wheel in, $30 mount and balance.
Freedom Cycle
Marion, AR

Think we had a list on the DS site.:thumbup:
Two shops in the Lower Keys do it with no questions asked but plenty of head shaking and "you're gonna kill yourself" comments.

Skip's Cycles
(305) 872-3384
31145 Avenue A, Big Pine Key, FL 33043

Sickels Motorcycle Corporation
(305) 743-0445
2040 Overseas Hwy, Marathon, FL 33050
I mount them at My place in Eustis, Fla just N/W of Orlando and W/of Daytona..
Wal Mart - Wentzville, MO
$5.00 when you purchase the tire there.
Holiday powersports
Michigan Center, Mi.

Charged me 35 bucks to dismount old tire, mount car tire on my rim, and balance it.They have no problem mounting ct.
Honda of Houston (290 and West) indicated they would mount a CT...

"We might try to talk you out of it, but we do mount CT's" were the words they used,,,
Showtime56 (board member) just bought a tire changer and will do it in the St. Louis / Illinois area. I believe he charges $25 to dismount the old tire and mount the CT and install beads as long as you bring him the wheel and tire. He has a post on the Missouri board :thumbup:
Speed Fix Motor sports
Macon Missouri
Old HWY 36/Sunset Dr.
$50.00 with dismount/mount/disposal
http://rollinfast.com/index.htm
ROLLIN' FAST CYCLE SPORTS104 MAIN ST
LEBANON, NJ 08833

Had to sign a waiver of liability, first. No problem!
Great shop- good guys.
Madness_MC said:
Add me to the list of DarkSider riders and installers.

I did my own and have done others for my customers, both X's, Valks, Meanstreaks and M109Rs.

Madness Motorcycle, LLc
Lugoff, SC 29078
803-767-1810
Charlotte Honda will mount them. I just took in the wheel $23, I don't know if they do it on the bike.
Charlotte Honda
Freedom Dr
Charlotte NC
Ft. Worth Motorsports
5717 Airport Fwy
Fort Worth, TX 76117-6006
(817)834-7185
$35.00
Cycle Gear - Tacoma
2501 S. 38th St
Tacoma, WA 98409
(253) 475-5444

All Moto Tire
Graham WA
Phone: 253-224-4716
http://www.allmototire.com/

·
Registered
658 Posts
Had my local Honda dealer do the dismount $15.00 (Worth it), Installed the CT myself and installed Dynabeads for balancing. :thumbup:
Regards

·
Old Goat
25,495 Posts
Disclaimer : When I talked to them both said they would , I havent actually used either yet.

Cycle Gear Store #74
6343 Summer Avenue
Memphis, TN 38134

(901) 371-9692

Store Hours:
Mon-Thurs 10-7
Fri. 10-8
Sat 9-6
Sun 10-5

Madness Motorcycle

www.motorcyclemadness.com

2740 Whitten Rd
Bartlett, TN 38133
(901) 386-4466

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most shops wont mount a car tire on a bike because of "Insurance reasons."
Agreed, but there are many folks running darkside, so either they DIY (my favorite way to go) or they found a shop. Hopefully those who know of a place will post up and help out.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
A1 Tire, Brake and Muffler
Hwy 311
Houma La. 70360
985-851-6779

They did it because they could and were interested.

Cost..... 6 pack of beer.
3 oz of dyna beads.

Not looking back.
Priceless.

Moon

Toyo Proxie T1R 215-45/18

·
Troll Patrol
4,743 Posts

Shhh don't say a word ~M :dontknow:

·
Registered
76 Posts

Shhh don't say a word ~M :dontknow:
:agree: Thanks ~M you sure know how to make a man smile.

I live in western pa. I bought my tire at Wal-Mart.
I removed my rear wheel. Took it and the new tire to "Double "R" cycles in Leechburg,PA. They also balance with dynabeads. Cost just a little over $30.00 I had to sign a waiver, but, they did it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
"Insurance reasons"

I aint a lawyer but I think a car tire on a motorcycle might leave an insurance company an easy out , and allow them to escape having to pay ,possibly leaving the onus to so to that of the motorcycle's owner

"Does the installation of a car tire in anyway void my motorcycle insurance?"
Has anyone wrote and asked their insurance company this question ?
Has a written reply been received , and if so what was the answer?

I think those who have over their life time acquired significant assets would be wise to make such an inquiry , an injured passenger and their attorneys can be awfully expensive

Good luck and ride safe,,,,,,,,,,,,and if anyone wants to start the name calling make it really funny or F O

·
Registered
788 Posts
That is a true statement, which is why most people take just the wheel and pay cash. But there are alot of things a mechanic won't do for "insurance reasons", doesn't neccesarily make it wrong. It just means there are a$$ clowns that want to sue everybody everytime something goes wrong and a shop has to protect itself.

This isn't anything new, it has been around for years, it just really started becoming popular as it has spread across the internet. That is why alot of the shops that will mount it are these old school chopper shops. They were doing it back in the 60's.:tools:

To each his own. I did the darkside thing, I didn't like it. I am now back on a bike tire. The guy I sold my CT to, loves it. So one man's junk...another's treasure.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
It's the Dealerships that are worried about getting sued.
see

"those who have over their lifetime acquired significant assets "

Full pockets are full pockets and will not make any attorney any less tenacious in going after them irregardless of whom owns the pocket

Once any lawyers appear ,if you have the ability to pay, you usually will

·
Registered
76 Posts
"Insurance reasons"

I aint a lawyer but I think a car tire on a motorcycle might leave an insurance company an easy out , and allow them to escape having to pay ,possibly leaving the onus to so to that of the motorcycle's owner

"Does the installation of a car tire in anyway void my motorcycle insurance?"
Has anyone wrote and asked their insurance company this question ?
Has a written reply been received , and if so what was the answer?

I think those who have over their life time acquired significant assets would be wise to make such an inquiry , an injured passenger and their attorneys can be awfully expensive

Good luck and ride safe,,,,,,,,,,,,and if anyone wants to start the name calling make it really funny or F O

Question 1.) I have a question about my policy
Message: I want to replace the rear motorcycle tire with an automobile tire. Am I still covered if I am involved in an accident?Thank you for your time,

Answer 1.)If there are structural modifications to your motorcycle to fit the tire, your policy will receive a Special Hazard Surcharge. Your bike is still covered, but there will be an increase in your premium to allow for this time of change.

Question 2.)There are no structural modifications needed for me to use an automobile tire. What I need to do is remove the tire and replace it with the automobile tire. Will there be an increase in my premium?
Thank you very much for your assistance.

Answer 2.)In reviewing our guidelines this would not affect your coverage, you would still be fully covered with the coverages currently listed.

·
Old Goat
25,495 Posts

Gee I must have missed the part where Biodude asked for opinions, theres plenty of threads for that.

·
Registered
4,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah really, I was just trying to get a simple list together for the sake of others. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I had mine dismounted at a local shop. They wouldn't mount it...so I just did it at home. Dyna beads for balancing.......ride on.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts