Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been over 18 months since I had completed an Iron Butt Association certified ride. I have been doing at least one (usually more) since my first when I got back into motorcycling, That was in 2008 at age 59, after 26 years off.

I attempted one back in August 2019 but I was in so much pain it was all I could do to ride 300 or 400 miles on at trip to Wisconsin. I had to cancel the part of it to the UP of Michigan. I had neck surgery that fall. That problem solved. I still had sleep issues. I got on some sleep therapy. That problem seems to be solved.

By the time I was recovered completely, CV19 arrived. Then my daughter had to have 4 surgeries (all OK now) and I ended up with a stent in June then broke my wrist in July. 2020 = a pain all over for our entire family. 12 months out of our life never to be replaced. We are still alive and kicking thought. Praise the Lord.

I was doubting that I could ever ride any IBA ride again. I still wanted to achieve a Mile Eater Gold (20 certified rides with 5 certified being greater than 48 hours). After my trip to Big Bend I knew I could ride 300 to 400 miles with no pain.

Here it was December 2020 and a birthday the next month. Time was running out for one IBA ride a year and none at age 71. Then I received an email from the IBA showing their new Winter Solstice Saddle Sore 1000 certificate. It is good looking. I needed one. So I began planning while giving myself a 50-50 chance of finishing.

I left the Dallas area at 034, just before the official Winter Solstice, on December 21. My route took me to Sierra Blanca, Texas, then back to the Dallas area. After a couple of snafus which cost me over an hour, including my main headlight malfunctioned temporarily,

I made the 1171 miles in 17 hours 37 minutes. It seems the only thing slowing me down is my bladder. Yes, I was ready to sit in my Lazy Boy when I got home. The good part is, I was not as tired or as sleepy as usual after a long ride.

Hmmm, all I need for another Mile Eater Silver are 4 more certified rides within the next 11.5 months (two must be more than 48 hours). Now I have a challenge. Maybe I can get my Mile Eater Gold also.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Congrats Jerry, The 50CC is an awesome ride and you are nicely located for it (one 48 down). When you hit San Diego after a rest you are ideal for a B2B or B2B Insanity. Now as long as you are in southwest Canada you are ideally set for the Trans Canada (2nd 48). Pretty much you also then have the USA 4 Corners.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Congrats Jerry, The 50CC is an awesome ride and you are nicely located for it (one 48 down). When you hit San Diego after a rest you are ideal for a B2B or B2B Insanity. Now as long as you are in southwest Canada you are ideally set for the Trans Canada (2nd 48). Pretty much you also then have the USA 4 Corners.
Thanks Ed.

Insanity, not. B2B up I-5 doesn't sound appealing to me with the cities. Could head over to I-15 although that would be more miles and more time. Then there is Nogales, AZ, a lot more miles and time. Juarez might be an option. I actually mapped that one with some details. I've been to Juarez a few times and hate everything about it plus the border is very congested and then from Billings a question arises, best way to the border?

I would like to do the Trans Canada and the SCMA 4 Corners. Both would be interesting. I think the 4 Corners would be a lot of fun with 21 days to complete 8,000 to 10,000 miles. In 2015 (only 66 then)I rode 9,000 miles in 13 days with over half of it on secondary roads. I could also work in some other rides into it. If this CV19 crap gets under control maybe this summer would be a good time for it. I have played with some mapping on it also.

Hey, how about the 4 Corners X. Dave McQueeney of IBA fame did it on 4 different motorcycles. I believe I read that each time he arrived in Lebanon, Kansas, he went back to his home in California to change motorcycles then returning to Lebanon to finish the next leg and back to Lebanon. He must live on a motorcycle.

Take care. I still plan to stop by some day.

·
Old Goat
25,615 Posts
God Bless and good for you...I look forward to the day I can just ride around the block.........again

Reactions: leroys73
1 - 4 of 4 Posts