Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Saturday eveing after my wife and I returned home from a bike ride to Melbourne Florida, I went by myself up to the grocery store to pick a few things up. On the way home an old lady started to turn left in front of, saw me, and stopped real quick. I had already slowed way down, and although I was aware she saw me, I did not speed back up. Good thing because a few seconds later she decided to go and turned right in front of me. Nothing I could do but lock up the brakes and slide sideways into her. I was fortunate, all I got was a broken leg. The weird thing is they flew me by helecoptor to a hospital in Melbourne, so in one day i made 2 trips to Melbourne Florida. One by bike and one by helecoptor.

I have decided to start a chapter of MADD-Motorcyclists Against Dymensia Drivers!

Be safe and stay alert!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Way to go on staying alert! Broken leg sucks but you could have been a lot worse. You will be back in the saddle in no time.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Glad to hear your defensive riding skills saved you from further injury and hope your back up and riding soon. Was the little old lady cited for failure to yield?

·
Registered
193 Posts
First off, glad you came through resonably well. As said, could have been way worse.
Second, get a copy of the police report and see a nice friendly attorney.
Don't let the age thing stop you. She could just as well taken you or your wife out.
Stop it now for the rest of us.
IMO

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I too am glad all you got was a broken leg. Beats the alternative.
Get well soon.
P.S. How bad is the bike hurt?

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
Well it goes with out saying that sux, prayers for a speedy recovery. I hope when my time comes Ive got enough since to at least quit driving my truck. ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First off, glad you came through resonably well. As said, could have been way worse.
Second, get a copy of the police report and see a nice friendly attorney.
Don't let the age thing stop you. She could just as well taken you or your wife out.
Stop it now for the rest of us.
IMO
I work for the Sheriff's Department (Chaplain) and the officer hand delivered the report to me about 2 hours ago. She was cited for violation of right of way. She is 83 years old (no surprise) I have a lawyer coming over my house tomorrow to talk to me. He is an excellent attorney and a close friend of the families. I have given him a heads up that I'm looking for all expenses to be paid for, some compensation for pain and suffering, and most important, I would like to see her license yanked from her. Grandmas gonna have to get used to taking a a bus.

The bike is not in bad shape. Tank is dented, right turn signal lens broken, crash bar, brake lever, and pegs bent. Saddle bag scratched, side cover scratched and right mirror bent. The officer who took the report is a Harley Rider and has ridden for years. She said her estimate for repair with labor is around 2,000. I dont think the tank is scratched, just dented from my knee. I put a dent in it once with my helmet and I bought this dent puller thing. That may work for me this time.

I'm waiting on the insurance guy to call me back and come look at it.

Thanks for thoughts and prayers!

·
Registered
193 Posts
My comment probably sounds like that from some SOB, but age not with standing, she could have easily killed you and/or your wife.
People like that need to be removed from the road.
Being someones grannie doesn't remove the responsibility she has.
Best of luck with yourself and the bike.
Cheers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
We just never know, do we? My biggest fear is exactly what happened to you. I fear someone pulling out in front of me, all of the sudden seeing me and stopping. And if that isn't enough they panic and start moving again thinking they will get out of your way when you have committed to going in the direction they decided to go.

Training and being prepaired is one thing, but how on earth does anyone get ready for something like this? I would have to say you did everything as right as you could have and still got a Chopper ride.

Yeah I know we are all getting older by the day, but when we start doing bone-headed moves like this woman did to you, that license has got to go. It may be her freedom, but it's your LIFE she could have taken from you and your family.

The Good Lord was watching out for you even though you still got a busted leg out of the deal. Your wife was home and safe, and you for the most part aren't suffering too bad. (Easy for me to say)

I'm glad you seem to be doing alright, but I know you already know not to start trying to get the dent out or do any work to your bike before the Insurance people look at it. Oh, and have the bike liioked at by a certified dealer to make sure the frame and all parts are still within Factory Tolerance, the Insurance Company paying for this as well.

I hope for you this is the last time you have to go through something like this. Don't feel sorry for that Lady, she made her decision, and it wasn't a good one. For the life of me I still wonder why she waited until you were certain to hit her before she pulled out in front of you?

She's gotta get off of the roads, the bus sounds like the way for her to get around. If she don't like the bus, there is always a Taxi Cab.

Be Safe.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
I'm glad you are OK, though a borken leg isn't fun.

Your case of a cager seeming to be aware of you and then proceeding ahead anyway is not uncommon.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
Sux. Real glad it wasn't worse because I am sure you have thought about it and know it coulda been. Busted leg is a real PITA. It will heal. And the bike will get fixed. Trust me when I say I know how you feel, as I had a bad deal happen last year.

Gotta ask.....do you think there is anything you could have done differently? This is important. Think some and let us know. Thanks.

Dan

·
Registered
99 Posts
When I made the decision to start riding again after being off of a motorcycle for more than thirty years, I figured the best thing I could do for myself was to take a safety course.

One thing the Instructor kept telling us was "Even if you make eye contact with another driver who is ready to make a turn in front of you, THEY DON'T SEE YOU!"

To this day I still make an effort to flash my lights from high to low trying to make damn sure that person notices something out of the ordinary coming toward him or her. The one thing I know for a fact is I can't read their mind, and they can't read mine.

For the life of me how many bikers must be killed before these States do something about problems like this? I guess when someone important gets crushed while riding their bike is when these traffic laws get changed. Personally I'd like to see where a driver who causes an injury to someone riding a motorcycle, and who is at fault looses their license for a determined period of time (a year at least)

And have we noticed when this happens it's usually the person who was riding their bike who was the one at fault? As I read this today I started remembering those who were taken from their famlies who lived around here. I counted nine who lost their lives, and this doesn't account for the people who were injured. The really bad thing is all of these accidents were for this past spring and summer.

We really have to watch out for our own arses these days, no-one else is. People on the phone, texting and playing with their radio's. No wonder they don't see us, they ain't payin attention. And even if they look right at us........Some people just can't see anything, all they do is aim the front end to where they want to go.

I would imagine if people did loose their license for a year, they would start paying attention then? The sad thing is I seriously doubt a law like this will ever be passed, it infringes on too many people's rights to loose their driving privilege
Be Safe

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Glad you're ok heychap. The 83 yo woman may have been driving like that for decades and finally is being held responsible for an accident she caused. It doesn't have to be age. Some people drive just plain crappy.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Ouch...heal quick! FL must be a tough place to ride given the number of elderly drivers compared to other states

Goose

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Thoughts and prayers for a swift, complete recovery for you and the scoot. What part of your leg got broken? A broken femur is bad news, as the femural artery runs alongside it, which could have explained your helo ride. Then again, I'm sure Florida has it's airlift protocols like Md does...a bike accident may be an automatic flyout, ya know? Don't forget to mention the helo ride to the attorney. Insurances don't always pay for that $15,000 bill in it's entirety, and you don't want to be stuck with that one. Good luck with everything!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts