Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 20,000 + miles on my '03 VTX1800R I got an itch to try another bike, so

I rode an '05 FJR 1300 and it had to go and completely spoil me :eek:

I love my VTX with my Mustang seat and risers and pegs, comfy as can be. The torque and pull and the v-twin is great fun.

Do yourself a favor, if there is any part of you that wishes you could have the comfort and power of your VTX but with more fun handling and a flickable dancing gracefullness, try a FJR.

After riding arounda low speed and rpm, and getting all gaa-gaa about the electroniclly adjustable windshield adjustment, I took it out on some open road , let her climb slowly till about 4,000 rpm, and cracked the throttle. Roly Shuckin Fit It felt like I was flying, and I knew right then and there, I was absolutely ruined for anything else.

I slowed down and sat back on the Rick Mayer Leather seat the previous owner had installed, and put my feet out on the aftermarket highway pegs, and it was a nice rational riding position, almost cruiser like.

The FJR danced around the potholes with a light flick of a counter steer and had impeccable low speed manners, just where I would have been feeling the X around 5-10 mph, this girl just felt effortness in low-speed manuvers.

SO, I'm like WTF, Its got more storage space than my X with a Givi topcase, heated grips and a six gallon tank, good dealer support, strong aftermarket, and looks really sweet, what am I gonna do?

The power is all over, in every gear all through the band, and she sings like she wants to run in the high rpms.

Now, I thinking , okay, what do I like about my X better. Mind you I LOVE my X. The problem is the FJR is that good, not that anything is wrong with the X.

I like my Isogrips , the sound of my Bigshots, the high speed stabilty on the highway, the v-twin power pulses, and the great looks.

Now for the clincher. M'lady enjoys her Mustang Pillion on the X, but she feel in love with the FJR Rick Mayer saddle and the passenger ride.

What are you gonna do? I got me an minty-mint '05 FJR with 10,000 miles for a song.

Downside: you get heat up from the engine, but when it's chilly out, I ain't gonna mind. Also, its got that scary , how- the- hell- did- I- get going- this -fast -this -quick- better- be -careful kinda speed.

If you are thinking about another bike, and you don't want to get the wrong bike, or make a poor choice and be stuck,

I honestly think you can't go wrong with an FJR.

my .02

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
Um, yea..... what he said.

The are a great bike. I think the '05 had the air management system. Look for two dzu fasterners on the fairing pieces in front of your shins. Loosen them and the fairing piece hinges out and inch ot two, you can then tighten the fasteners in a new hole. this keeps some of the heat off you in hot weather. I know the'06's have it??

P.S. nobody everbelieves how good they are until they ride it!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I almost bought one. I came off of a sport tourer and bought my VTX. The Yamaha shop in Cullman Alabama sells them at a good discount. I was looking for something a little more comfortable and different so I went the cruiser route.

The FJR is a great bike. Smooth, but not as smooth as the Honda ST, but has more power than the ST. I know that you are gonna love that bike.

Congratulations. Save your money for the speeding tickets. It is real easy to get them on a good Sport Tourer. :)

Joe

·
Registered
238 Posts
My boss has one that same color blue.When he got it he offer to let me ride it.I might take him up on it one day if he has not changed his mind. :lol:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
One of my bosses has one and he really likes it. He said it has a top speed of around 150mph.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts