Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not having read every post - I don't hear snything about rear to front tire alignment. Does the dog not wag the rest of the bike?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm curious how a front tire would get out of alignment? I'm thinking if things aren't aligned, the axle bolt will not go through.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
again.... 16 years.. same issue..

right turns are slow and shorter
left turns are faster and much longer..

Australia has the opposite problem,,, ask them..
there are members on this forum from Australia .

on this forum.. about 15 years ago..
I took my on 1 year old VTX1800.. put it on a frame alignment jig
8 dial indicators.... you can not misalign this front end.
I did a full write up.. back then.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I'm curious how a front tire would get out of alignment? I'm thinking if things aren't aligned, the axle bolt will not go through.
Mostly because someone didn't install the wheel properly during tire replacement.
There is a specific procedure in the service manual.
millimeter or 2 can make a difference.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
that procedure is for the disc brakes alignment... not tire wear.

my opinion.

I have test rode many motorcycles with bent/twisted front forks... they always rode straight.. just the bars are not straight..

just like chain or belt drive bikes with the rear wheel out of alignment... bike went straight.. just with a slight yaw...

20 years at a Honda dealership..

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
that procedure is for the disc brakes alignment... not tire wear.

my opinion.
You ought to know Chuck, interesting.
Up till now i thought the pinch bolt procedure could skew the axle/tire ever so slightly if done improperly. Also effects the disc/pad alignment. My view prior to your comment. I know your background enough so i will listen.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
You ought to know Chuck, interesting.
Up till now i thought the pinch bolt procedure could skew the axle/tire ever so slightly if done improperly.
if the forks are not spaced correctly... the tubes are not parallel to the brake rotor..
also the brakes could have one side making contact with rotor before other side.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
if the forks are not spaced correctly... the tubes are not parallel to the brake rotor..
also the brakes could have one side making contact with rotor before other side.
There are many reasons why the front tire may wear unevenly. I was just suggesting what was in my view, the simplest and most common reason.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
What is the purpose of the pinch bolts? I've always thought they were like the "fine tuning" to axle alignment. Wrong, right?

Or are they there just to allow the axle to be inserted?

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
What is the purpose of the pinch bolts? I've always thought they were like the "fine tuning" to axle alignment. Wrong, right?

Or are they there just to allow the axle to be inserted?
yep.. ZERO movement in all 3 plains .. no way for axle oscillation

old days.. the lower front fork holes for axle can be deformed from road damage,
then oscillations.. then axle nut loosens.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I run a new front about 5k and then turn it around and run till it needs replacement.07r
If you are OK with this idea I guess it will work but MC street tires are directional.

again.... 16 years.. same issue..

right turns are slow and shorter
left turns are faster and much longer..

Australia has the opposite problem,,, ask them..
there are members on this forum from Australia .

on this forum.. about 15 years ago..
I took my on 1 year old VTX1800.. put it on a frame alignment jig
8 dial indicators.... you can not misalign this front end.
I did a full write up.. back then.
Thanks Chuck. I am glad you said this again. I have also said the same. That question comes up so many times around riders. I tell them the same reason plus the crown of many roads but I get that look: are you $hitin me.

I tend to ride just left of the center of my lane plus keep 40psi in the tires. This seems to help some.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts