Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
i have been asked many times"don't you wish you didn't have to wear a helmet".
i want my helmet!!
most people are surprised at my answer but i think they don't ride.
bad enough i wear a half helmet ,jean shorts and sneakers all the time but i got my hands planted on the bars.
had to avoid animals on the back roads and locked it up a couple times in low speed zones due to people pulling out in front of me.
i have no doubt i wouldn't have been able to do these things with one hand.
we all take chances every day we ride.
proper gear is my dice gamble but i am in control of my bike always.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
OK, lets add to the conversation,

Steering with your feet.

And yes I have seen it but I have never done it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
How would you signal your intentions if you lose your turn signals?

How would you check to see if your wife is still back there or feel her up?

How would you fling your sunglasses off at 65mph when a wasp gets between them and your eyeball? Actually happened to me.

At lot of HOWOs, I know. You ride your way and I'll ride mine. Nothing about being cool.

It's all good. Relax.

·
Registered
26,116 Posts
i have been asked many times"don't you wish you didn't have to wear a helmet".
i want my helmet!!
most people are surprised at my answer but i think they don't ride.
bad enough i wear a half helmet ,jean shorts and sneakers all the time but i got my hands planted on the bars.
had to avoid animals on the back roads and locked it up a couple times in low speed zones due to people pulling out in front of me.
i have no doubt i wouldn't have been able to do these things with one hand.
we all take chances every day we ride.
proper gear is my dice gamble but i am in control of my bike always.

I always wear a helmet (3/4), long jeans & a T shirt and work boots.
I may ride with 1 hand on the highway, with light traffic.
As soon as a vehicle is within a hundred yards both hands are in the grips.

Around here, the only ppl I see with a hand on hip are riding Donor cycles.

·
Registered
378 Posts
No hand on hip.... but i am guilty of grabbing the guard bars right in front of my side bags, they are a few inches more to the rear than my butt. A little pull on them is a good back twist/stretch. Or a push takes weight off the lower back. Usually just for a few seconds, I don't cover distance like that. It is warm down there too.

·
Registered
12,052 Posts
I installed this so I COULD ride with only my left hand on the grip, so now I can switch hands whenever I need to. Very relaxing for the long rides...looks pretty cool, too, huh? :mrgreen: It's good to practice riding in different positions. The more you know how your bike feels, the better you're prepared for anything that comes your way while riding. And don't be jealous of another person's talents. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
I installed this so I COULD ride with only my left hand on the grip, so now I can switch hands whenever I need to. Very relaxing for the long rides...looks pretty cool, too, huh? :mrgreen: It's good to practice riding in different positions. The more you know how your bike feels, the better you're prepared for anything that comes your way while riding. And don't be jealous of another person's talents. ;)
:thumbup: how's that work? Having trouble wraping my head around how that would work with a cable throttle?

What i'm seeing is excellent though, make and model please. :nerd:8)

·
Premium Member
5,386 Posts
I love it! Looks great. It was one of the many things I like so much about the Harley. Cruise control ... gotta love it!

·
Registered
12,052 Posts
:thumbup: how's that work? Having trouble wraping my head around how that would work with a cable throttle?

What i'm seeing is excellent though, make and model please. :nerd:8)
It is a vacuum-operated AudioVox CCS-100 cruise control, and it connects to the throttle cable linkage at the carb (on the 1300). The control pad holder in the pic I posted is a custom piece I picked up years ago from cybrhick when he was making them. You have to fab up some type of mount for the control pad yourself (a template is provided in the link below).

I followed the directions from this site for the most part, tweaking it a bit for my install. I also have LED brake lights, so I had to wire in another relay to "trick" the cruise control to think I still had a regular load on that brake circuit so the CC would disengage when the brakes are applied.

http://www.bannersyuma.com/Assets/Installing Cruise Control VTX 1300.pdf

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
sorry.... had to
You made my day ! :beer3: That is just too funny.

I could see myself doing that.

Thanks for the laugh. :thumbup:

·
Registered
520 Posts
It is a vacuum-operated AudioVox CCS-100 cruise control, and it connects to the throttle cable linkage at the carb (on the 1300). The control pad holder in the pic I posted is a custom piece I picked up years ago from cybrhick when he was making them. You have to fab up some type of mount for the control pad yourself (a template is provided in the link below).

I followed the directions from this site for the most part, tweaking it a bit for my install. I also have LED brake lights, so I had to wire in another relay to "trick" the cruise control to think I still had a regular load on that brake circuit so the CC would disengage when the brakes are applied.

http://www.bannersyuma.com/Assets/Installing Cruise Control VTX 1300.pdf
Wow, i'm speechless :surprise:, that is an amazing amount of engineering. You take the cake man, you just do :thumbup:.

·
Registered
12,052 Posts
Wow, i'm speechless :surprise:, that is an amazing amount of engineering. You take the cake man, you just do :thumbup:.
Wasn't anything I did...just following directions from others who did it before me. I was actually late in installing mine...it sat for a long time on a shelf until I finally installed it in Nov. '17.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree...it looks stupid. It's usually millennials on crotch rockets and it shows their inexperience and their fit in the crowd mind set.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I agree...it looks stupid. It's usually millennials on crotch rockets and it shows their inexperience and their fit in the crowd mind set.
if we're talking about the practice of riding around one handed as a "look" or as a matter of course riding then yeah, i think that's a bad idea. Just as i think riding while vlogging and getting into conversations while using hand gestures is asking for trouble, especially in the city.

Having said that, i couldnt imagine riding any longer distance with the restraint of not being able to relax a hand or arm or scratch my nose while riding. In my opinion, a motorocycle is like a gun in that its only as dangerous as the person using it.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts