Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
That's the best model of the VTX, fastest color too ;) and very low miles which is great but actually not ideal; likely has original tires which have to be replaced.
Having said that, it has the stock painful seat, stock pipes and overpriced by $1000 imo especially this time of year.

·
Registered
9,005 Posts
I found this deal on a local bike and would like some opinions on the deal. Is this a reasonable price for the year, type, and mileage? By looking at the few pictures, what aftermarket mods do you see, or is it a mostly stock Spec3?

Thanks
Russell

http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Honda-Powersports-of-Troy-2913408/listing/2006-Honda-vtx1800n3-115465160
It looks bone stock. Reasonable..perhaps. Great deal...no. Seat, windshield, bags, pipes...to name a few...would set you back at least $1500 plus. Good luck

Bull

·
Registered
24 Posts
Everybody beat me to it. Great looking STOCK bike.
Agree the low miles could be an issue but the reality is (IMHO) there are more bikes out there with low mileage than the ones with high. I just sold my 03 1300 with 9500 miles to buy an 06 1800N - this very same model with 17k miles and a good handful of upgrades......purchased a few weeks ago for $3k
Take your time the deals are out there. This is not one of them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Looks good.
I probably wouldn't go higher than $6500 including ttl.
Great bike though.

·
Registered
618 Posts

Black Friday of 2013 I took delivery of my '08 N3 for $6,500. Which was a great buy.
Two years later...$7,500 for this unmolested '06 N (2/3?) is priced right for a retail seller. Not a steal, but....
If it's what you want, make an offer of $5,800 & see how they react. It's December. He can sell it this year, or wait until spring. Good luck

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
IMO, I think it's a fair deal...but I'm sure you get them to come down some and/or add some accessories in. I'd want new tires and ALL fluids (final, fork, brake/clutch, oil/filter) changed before I bought it, along with a valve adjustment. For me, the opportunity to buy an unmolested 1800N stock Spec 3 with those few miles would make me a happy camper...blank canvas to start with. Considering that bike was $12K+ brand new, if you can get it for $6 or $6500 OTD, that would work.

·
Registered
907 Posts
My opinion because it is a dealer it priced higher then it should be. Walk in with $6000 in cash and the dealer may let you take it home.

I have an '05 N that I paid $4500 for in August of 2013 from an individual. But it had a small dent in the tank and some scratches on the back fender. The guy I bought it from had let it set up for over a year in his garage, so he was ready to get rid of it.

Here is a link to the Blue Book Value check the retail and the trade in value...... http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/honda/vtx1800n/2006-honda-vtx1800n/suggestedretailvalue/

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Nice looking bike, KKB for motorcycles say's trade in is about $4500, and retail is $6,500. With that said I agree with everybody else, its about $1,000 to much. Start at $6,500 and see if he will meet you in the at $7,000. If you can handle $7,500 go for it. You can't beet the looks and it is a VTX1800N. Great bike.:lol::lol::lol:

·
Old Goat
24,780 Posts
When I went in to purchase my new 06 1300R didn't have a clue about the 1800 much less the N...when I saw my first N , could have kicked myself for not doing my homework...Im happy with my 1300, but if the right deal on a N came along who knows.....all X's are great bikes, but in my mind the N stands alone..kinda like the F.....good luck on whatever you decide and Happy Trails....

PS..not much help on the price of that bike, but for me sometimes I don't mind paying a little more for something I really want....I tend to hang on to stuff....:mrgreen:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Thanks all. I am mostly gathering info at the moment and will get more serious in the spring.
I smell a future post here in late winter or early spring..."I am still looking for a decent bike and all I can find is abused, dented, scratched stuff. Man, I wish I had jumped on that un-molested 'N' back in December.":roll:

Regardless, I hope you do find the right ride for you.:doorag:

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
I smell a future post here in late winter or early spring..."I am still looking for a decent bike and all I can find is abused, dented, scratched stuff. Man, I wish I had jumped on that un-molested 'N' back in December.":roll:

Regardless, I hope you do find the right ride for you.:doorag:

Ding, ding, ding! :agree:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
while I agree with everyone that the N model is a very special bike don't discount the R or S models one of my favorite bikes on this forum is for sale it's owned by enroute7 what a beautiful bike if I had the money i'd buy it in a heartbeat. i'm not good enough on the computer to bring up a pic for you but maybe someone else can anyway if you want to see a drop dead beautiful bike check it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
while I agree with everyone that the N model is a very special bike don't discount the R or S models one of my favorite bikes on this forum is for sale it's owned by enroute7 what a beautiful bike if I had the money i'd buy it in a heartbeat. i'm not good enough on the computer to bring up a pic for you but maybe someone else can anyway if you want to see a drop dead beautiful bike check it out.
I just looked up his pictures. That is a beautiful bike, and actually very similar to the style that I would try to create if I buy a VTX. Thanks for the info, I will have to start looking at R/S models as well. That really increases the number of bikes available.

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
Given that the VTX model is no longer in production and hasn't been for years now, finding one in that shape for that price?? I'm not sure I'd "wait til spring". . . . that thing will be gone by then. Even at a high end average asking price from the stealer.

If you are *actually* in the market (not just 'kickin tires'), if you like it, and you want it: you'll be doing yourself a disservice to wait until spring. Deals like the one you shared will be farther and fewer between the longer you wait.

I wouldn't wait. I'd walk in, CASH IN HAND and make a deal.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Mine is an '06 1800R. I bought it 4 yrs ago (actually 4 yrs ago this past weekend), and it had just under 6k miles and I bought it for 6k. Mine had the Switchblade shield, highway bars, hard bags, some chrome accents around the front and rear fender and HK 3" Big shots pipes, so I would definitely offer less than the $7.5k being asked by the dealer for a stock bike.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree, sweet bike, limited options. Depending on what you want, a bike with lots of aftermarket (it's easy to drop $5000 on accessories over time), or a nice stock ride. If you lean toward stock, I would try and deal now. The bike has been there awhile, I wouldn't be surprised if you could get it now for $6k. Springtime, it will sell for more, it's too nice. If you plan on lots of options or heavily modifying a bike, might be better to find a less minty example that you can get cheaper or already has what you want.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
That's a nice bike, but IMHO overpriced by about $1,500. I bought my 2007 T, last year with 525 miles on it, for a little less than what your dealer is asking for that one. I've added a LOT to mine, but have also enjoyed buying the "stock" version and customizing it as my own. The 'extras' are going to cost you a bit, but spread out over time, it's worth the fun of adding them. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts